• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC hero and headphone jack problem

I can barely believe people are still posting this problem. It's not a hardware issue, nothing to do with a microswitch and you don't need a fancy routine of switching on and off and plugging and unplugging.

You just need the latest ROM. See Post 42 of this very thread. Now, if you have got the latest ROM and are still getting this problem it would be interesting to hear...

Reactions: jammychap
Upvote 0
I have a HTC Hero, I'm very happy with it.

My one concern is, twice, I have plugged a headset in and it was not recognize, i had to play around with to work. It does not appear to be the jack, but I 'm wondering what's going on.

did you actually READ this thread????

OT: I've the latest ROM. It worked fine untill I started to use advanced task killer, so there's a relation.
I will check this out.

update: after installing ATK I didnot reset yet (big advantage with android, there's no need to )
After restart headphone recognition works fine and hot plugabble.

so: make sure you have the latest build, it 's on the HTC site
and: do some resetting before checking things out.

Upvote 0
You most definately can do something, it takes a few minutes to fix, here you go:

My headset suddenly stopped working, was about to get the handset replaced when I found a way of repairing this myself.. seems its simply a software fault which should get fixed in the next firmware update, until this happens this is how you fix it:

first enable installation of non market place apps by going into settings > applications > and then ticking Unknown Sources

then.. open your web browser on your phone and type in the following:

http://code.google.com/p/toggleheadset/

you will then see a link to download the ToggleHeadset widget

once downloaded and installed add a new widget to your home screen, select Android Widget and then select Headet Toggle Widget

you will then have a button on your home screen to turn the headset on and off

This has now fixed the headset not working for me.. I imagine it will work for everyone else

enjoy =)

Ok, NOOB question here. I've downloaded the ToggleHeadset widget, but don't know where to find it to install it. Help, please? TIA!

- Dervish

Upvote 0
This fix worked for me as well. Headphones work.like a charm now
You most definately can do something, it takes a few minutes to fix, here you go:

My headset suddenly stopped working, was about to get the handset replaced when I found a way of repairing this myself.. seems its simply a software fault which should get fixed in the next firmware update, until this happens this is how you fix it:

first enable installation of non market place apps by going into settings > applications > and then ticking Unknown Sources

http://code.google.com/p/toggleheadset/

once downloaded and installed add a new widget to your home screen, select Android Widget and then select Headet Toggle Widget

This has now fixed the headset not working for me.. I imagine it will work for everyone else

enjoy =)

Reactions: nuckchucker
Upvote 0
SCUMPUPPY.... You Rock! That was SOOOOO EASY!! I got soooo mad at my stereo in my truck because Pandora wouldn't work, but my crummy IPOD would.... I spend most of my life driving around in my truck and I rely on internet based radio.... Now, Here's another question.... Is there a way to make the sound better??? I'm playing the radio through a radio station, so I know it won't be perfect, but the base is coming thru too Hard!!! If I could reduce the base (because the speakers in my truck are old...) that would be great!! CD's and the radio sound perfect! but when I plug in my phone, it sounds like my speakers are about to POP!!! any suggestions?? I don't listen to LOUD music and I've tried turning down the volume on my phone and it works a little better.... Does my phone have an equilizer??? any help is appreciated!!! THANKS! LostOAM311

Upvote 0
Just registered here to tell that with Advanced TaskKiller kills something that has to do with the software registering the Headphones being plugged in. I just restarted my phone, and it worked fine. Used the TaskKiller and the phone didn't register the Headphones again.

Thanks - downloaded an upgrade to Advanced TaskKiller last night and then headphones were not recognized anymore. Used Advanced TaskKiller to close program, restarted phone and problem solved. Yay!

Upvote 0
Hi

The same problem here in France: I got mine last week and when I plugged my headphone this morning nothing happens.
I tried a hard reset, plenty of differents headphones but same issue

I found a small workaround to manualy active or desactivate the jack output :
toggleheadset - Project Hosting on Google Code

Sounds like a hardware issue to me

Thanks, Toggle Headset completely fixed my phone issue.

Upvote 0
I posted the following on this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/8502-how-you-fix-your-headphone-not-working-problem-guys-gals.html

Installing the Toggler widget works, but it's quite inconvenient having to turn the toggler on and off every time you want to use your phone with or without the headset. There's one simple way to fix this without having to install any programs. Simply unplug the headset from your phone and turn the phone off and back on until it works. It might take a few tries but it works. I read on a site, can't remember which one, that you need to remove the battery to reset the whole phone, but I've never done it and it still works.

Also, before you turn your phone off for whatever reason, make sure that the headphone jack is unplugged. For some reason, turning off the phone while the headset is connected to the phone, it will make the phone not to recognize the headset after you turn the phone back on.

This works for me and I hope it works for all of you as well! and if it doesn't, I guess you can always download the widget mentioned above! =]

Upvote 0
New Response From [ Anthony (UK - Ireland Support (Tech)) ] Dear Mr Mccully,

Thank you for contacting us. In respect of the issue you have described regarding the supplied headphones not being recognised by the HTC Hero handset, the first stage of troubleshooting this issue is to attempt a ROM upgrade. Before beginning installation of the ROM, connect the supplied headset to the device, and ensure that it remains connected throughout the ROM installation procedure. If you have already installed the latest version of the ROM software from our website, then please attempt a hard reset with the headset connected, by following the below steps:-

1. With the device turned off, (remove and re-insert battery) press and hold the BACK and HOME buttons, then briefly press the POWER button.

2. Continue pressing the BACK and HOME buttons until you see a white screen with three skateboarding androids at the bottom.

3. release the BACK button and then press HOME to hard reset the device.

4. When the clear has finished, press MENU to reboot the device

If neither of these procedures are effective, then it may be the case that we need to book your device into our repair centre so that our engineers can run a full suite of diagnostics. This can be achieved by calling 08458900079, whereby one of our agents will be pleased to arrange this for you. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. :D

Upvote 0
The phones been perfectly fine for the last 5 months then suddenly this.
I don't think the office really enjoyed the Prodigy out loud while I battled to shut the phone up!
Contemplated having a grumble to Orange/HTC but thought I'd go for the obvious and turn it off/on again.
Well it works OK now.....for how long?!

Ho hum, the mysteries of the world...........

Upvote 0
I got my hero less than a week ago. I used the headphone jack on the phone for a day or so with no issues. I didnt use the headphone jack for a couple days and bought some skullcandy earbuds. They didnt work! I thought it may be that the plug was a straight plug instead of a 90 degree angle jack, so i tried the 90 degree. Still no luck. I took it back to the sprint store and swapped it out for a new one. I'll post again and let the forum know how that went.

Upvote 0
Sorry, this was the post I was replying to with the props: Originally Posted by ScumPuppy

Upvote 0
Delighted to find this thread!

I had a problem in which every time I put the Hero in airplane mode, the headphone jack turned off and could NOT be turned on. The rest of the time, the headphones worked perfectly.

However, installing ToggleHeadset fixed the problem - now I can turn on the headphones in airplane mode. It's a bit of a pain to be required to manually toggle the headset on and off any time I want to use the headphones, but it's definitely better than having no ability to use the headphones in airplane mode!

My thanks for a very nice app that performs exactly as designed!

Upvote 0
I just loaded up some songs and tried using headphones to listen to music but it kept going through to the speakers, so here is how I fixed my problem:

1. Turned phone off then turned it back on
2. Put the headphone jack all the way in, but this didnt work
3. Slowly remove the headphone jack out, but not all the way. The music started to come through the headphones instead of the speaker now.
4. Push the headphone jack all the way back in.

Hopefully this works for you guys

this works for me. definitely a hardware issue

Upvote 0
Sorry, this was the post I was replying to with the props: Originally Posted by ScumPuppy

Glad I found this forum.
Have had my hero for < 1 week and ran into this headset issue. Called Sprint support (stretch of the definition) who had no idea other then to take the phone into a "repair center".
This has been an issue for over 8 months now (if you were to follow the threads in this post... probably longer) and there's been no firmware fix issued? Doesn't give me any warm fuzzies for the response time for OS issues on the phone, though it is a really fun toy.
Thanks for whomever posted the fix for this, it works fine... just wish a permanent fix would be provided so this hack wouldn't be necessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones