HTC Hero (Android 2.2) Keyboard woes!Support

Last Updated:

1. WeiLianLow

WeiLianLow New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi! I'm using a HTC Hero running on Android 2.2 and just a few days ago, my normal soft keyboard (the white one) has mutated into a hideous black keyboard which not only is ugly (personally I think it is) but it sucks (maybe I'm too used to the old one)! My second language for the keyboard is Chinese and now it has changed to Thai and I can't toggle it back! :(
    I've always been seeing the "CN Thai" thing from day 1 since I've gotten my phone, could it be the culprit?

If you know how I can get my old soft keyboard back, PLEASE HELP ME OUT!
    Many thanks! :)

Advertisement
  2. heyitsericc

heyitsericc Well-Known Member

Dude, that's sick. How you get 2.2 on Hero. Was it official OTA or rooted?

Did you try uninstalling soft keyboard and re-runing it?

3. WeiLianLow

It was official OTA, the notification came in only when I'm on mobile(data) though, it doesn't appear at all when I'm on WiFi :/

The only keyboard app I could find in the app manager was this thing called CN Thai Keyboard and it didn't have an uninstall option :/ Guess it's hard wired within the firmware? Gosh this is really killing me! The word suggestions now have a whole new row dedicated to it (instead of a dialogue hovering above the keyboard) and I can't see what I'm replying to most of the time!

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

There is no 2.2 OTA update for the hero. Check your Settings >> About Phone page; if you haven't rooted you'll be on 2.1 at most. (There have been multiple OTA updates though, all based on 2.1, which may be what you're thinking of).

If you go to Settings >> Language and Keyboard, do you see multiple keyboards listed there? And if you long press on a text field, do you get the option to 'Select input method'?.

5. WeiLianLow

Sorry my bad, it's not 2.2, it's 2.1. Gee, I kept thinking it was 2.2 all this time!
    AND OMG THANKS MAN! I tried the long press on the text field thing and it works! THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU JUST MADE MY LIFE SO MUCH EASIER!