HTC Hero (bad ESN)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. GeterBoi

GeterBoi New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a gently used HTC Hero (Sprint) with a bad ESN. I would rate the phone a 9 out of 10. The only imperfection is the paint on the end key has begun to come off. Contact me @ jasongeter31(AT)gmail.com if interested. Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. Sam Voss

Sam Voss Well-Known Member

Please don't post things like this, expecially if they have a bad ESN

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

This is perfectly acceptable. The seller has made it clear that the ESN is bad, which could be due to several legitimate reasons.

rossmathis and Frisco like this.
  4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I was wondering about this, thinking "stolen" or perhaps with outstanding fees not paid, etc.

But after reading around about it, it turns out that some "bad esn" devices could have been sitting around for a while and not dealt with by the legitimate owner, or from a pre-paid company, etc.

5. rossmathis

rossmathis Well-Known Member

face!

6. Sam Voss

Sam Voss Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifing, I always thought bad ESN ment pretty much only stolen, so I assumed that this post would be for selling a stolen phone, that's why I thought it was unacceptable

7. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

This is a Sprint device, which does not have pre-paid option, so that's unlikely.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sitting around for a while". On Sprint, phones sitting around will not get a "bad ESN" marker.

There are however a few scenarios why a phone will have bad ESN:

1. stolen, or lost by previous owner - obvious.
    2. reported lost by current owner, phone replaced by Asurion insurance. Owner then finds the phone later, and instead of shipping it back to Asurion like ethics would dictate, he/she decides to sell it to pocket the cash.
    3. owner's account is past due or in bad standings with Sprint, and the line is deactivated and phone is marked as "bad ESN".
    4. Fraud of any type on Sprint

There might be some more rare cases of bad ESNs, but these are the main reasons why a Sprint ESN would be marked as bad. As a Sprint customer I steer clear of bad ESN phones. However, those on Cricket or MetroPCS often buy bad ESN Sprint phones and flash them for use on those networks.

8. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Your logic is not unsound. In fact as a buyer, I'd question why the ESN was marked as bad in the first place.

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

The bad things about a bad ESN are well noted, and are the reason most buyers stay away from them: the word is out about them.

But, the legitimate reasons for a bad ESN, although few and rare, are noted as well (terminated by the carrier for non-payment, etc).

10. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Wow... this is an OLD thread.

Putting this one back into the grave...... /thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.