HTC Hero big time problems....Support

Last Updated:

1. kidshenlong

kidshenlong New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone I'm new here so I thought I'd get my first post out of the way :D

Got my HTC Hero about 2 months ago and I was loving everything about it until about a month ago problems started happening.

The first problem was that the touch screen... Mainly the bottom of it started becoming unresponsive at times. It was quite weird... It would work perfectly at times then it wouldn't. I then discovered that the only way to get the bottom of the screen to work while it was being unresponsive was to use my thumb :( the tips of my fingers were no longer able to do anything... stranger yet when I would be moving stuff around on my home screen using my little finger at the top of the screen I assumed that when I dragged something to the bottom it would automatically drop the item but it didn't :S I was able to use my little finger on the bottom of the screen perfectly but as soon as I let go of the item I could no longer grab it back with my little finger and I had to use my thumb :S I assumed it was a software problem rather than a hardware one because the screen would still work at times or when I was doing particular things ( and I've tried recalibrating it with no success :( ) I upgraded the ROM completely wiping the phone and still nothing. Another really strange thing that happens every now and again (but not since I upgraded the ROM) I'll be using the home screen and the whole screen won't work when I touch it but it will when I hover my finger over it :S what i mean is I can select things by simply hovering my finger over them... It's sooo weird

The second big problem I've come across arose yesterday. The screen orientation had worked flawlessly until yesterday. I was in messages and I flipped the screen to side to get the bigger screen.... I typed my message and sent it but when I went to flip it back it wouldn't :S I tried recalibrating but it just won't work....

There has been several other little problems like this but I can't remember them atm.... Any help guys... Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just get it changed for a brand new one??

If you need any more details guys just help. Thanks :)

Advertisement
    trustranger likes this.
  2. Fake Name

Fake Name Well-Known Member

I would try to fix them, I'd just replace my phone. And hope same thing wount happen.

3. SmallGuy

SmallGuy Well-Known Member

I have had mine for 3 month and I have not seen a single problem with the phone :)

4. jo12jt1

jo12jt1 Active Member

ive had my phone a month and its up for sale, never had so much crap in my life. Going back to windows

5. thefley

thefley Well-Known Member

I am happy giving up my windows moble for Android. so I will sell you a almost new Mogul 6800 and a Touch both with 6.1 on them

6. kidshenlong

Hey everyone, gonna revive this thread because I've been doing a lot of research into my problem. It appears to be a software problem that could be solved through rooting (but I'm not really willing to do this YET, might just wait for the hero eclair update for the uk)

These 3 websites gave me quite a bit of info...

Latest HTC_IME.apk for Donut - xda-developers

Android 1.6 is Here | AllShadow.com

Updated: Fixed: Touch Input for Android 1.6 | AllShadow.com

Trying to reinstall the actual touch input software but failing...

"The application Touch Input (process com.htc.android.htcime) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.” with a Force Close button." Sums up my problem. The phone has been FREAKING out like when i'm trying to type something sometimes it'll work and then sometimes i'll only be able to type using one line of my keyboard, the unlock screen takes many attempts as it usually freaks out and draw the wrong pattern on it's own! and just generally when i'm navigating the through the phones menus it'll take many times for me to press on something or I'll press something and it'll highlight then open the completely wrong thing (sometimes on the other side of the screen)

Just wanna know if anyone else has encountered these problems and found a solution??

Thanks!!

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Sounds like a hardware issue? Have you tried contacting your network for a replacement?

8. kidshenlong

Not yet... been really busy.. and not really to up to the idea of losing all the stuff on my phone...

9. dmm5157

dmm5157 Well-Known Member

Back up the phone and then transfer over to the new phone. It's not that big of a deal.

10. fieldy

fieldy Member

I'd say you'd be very lucky to find its a software issue and not just a faulty device. I'd imagine that rooting wouldnt keep all the stuff on your phone anyway?

Get a replacement!

11. rizzla

rizzla Well-Known Member

Had 2 windows phones and couldn't leave fast enough, Hero seriously kick their butts.

12. akk454

akk454 New Member

Im think im starting to get the same problem. Sometimes it is almost impossible to select the shortcuts on the bottom of the screen ( all programs, phone, +). Texting is a nightmare as space bar and enter hardly work.
    I thought it was because of my fat fingers, but today the whole screen stop responding. The all programs shortcut was just flashing as I hovered my finger above it without touching the phone.
    I'm glad this is not a common issue on here,otherwise I will be very worried. I will now get mine replaced and hope for better luck

13. Geoponic

Geoponic Well-Known Member

It's sounds like a hardware problem to me.

Like the election field under the screen isn't working correctly.

Which would suggest why it would register something big like your thumb but not your little finger.

Replacement.

Don't keep a faulty phone just because you will have to copy contacts again.

Back up and Replace

14. Roy

Roy New Member

I have same screen problem. My gut feeling is it is a software issue and was hoping 2.1 would fix but longer I need to wait the more I think should try to get replaced. Will advise any progress.

15. ohmaynitseric

ohmaynitseric Well-Known Member

personally, i would in no way go back to windows unless they do something about that lag of theirs, terrible OS imo. thank god for android (y)

16. Bapp

Bapp Member

Yip same problem here, it's a pain in the ass. More so because it is intermittent. If it just didn't work all the time id have taken it back to t mobile already, but the fact it works fine for a while means you convince yourself "ohh maybe this time it's magically fixed itself." Well for anyone experiencing that delusion.... It never fixes itself, it just lures you in to a false sense of security and just when you need to send that important text to you girlfriend, it takes a big...LLLLLLLLLLLL delete delete LLLLL PPPP Spaz attack.:mad:

If this happens, do yourselves all a favour and take it back to the shop.

17. Roy

Roy New Member

I finally contacted HTC after problem got worse and full reset did not fix. Hero was collected by UPS and returned fixed with new main board within a week. Efficient service from HTC. All good so far...

18. SimplyBastow

SimplyBastow New Member

I also contacted HTC about this, via their contact form on their site. I'm glad I've found this thread because it describes exactly what I'm finding on my own phone. I was holding out for 2.1, but I'm thinking it's probably hardware, reading the responses here and elsewhere.... time to throw in the towel and ask HTC for help.

@Roy: How did you reach them, through the website?

Also, how'd you go a week without a phone?! (I'm already breaking into sweat at the thought :| )

Thanks!
    Janna

19. Roy

Roy New Member

Yes raised a ticket on HTC support. Got quick reply saying "sounds like a hardware fault" and number to call to arrange collection for repair.

It was a long week :eek: but can track repair progress on-line which helped!

Roy

20. dirty_dog

dirty_dog New Member

well my screen has the same issue you describe and it going back on Tuesday so hopefully it wont take too long! I called HTC and they have arranged a collection, so far, so good.

21. Lizardroid

Lizardroid Active Member

Yup i've been living with this exact problem for a couple of months now. Actually started a thread on this earlier and got no replies on it.

So the only way out is to get the whole thing replaced?

22. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Mine did the screen thing, Orange swapped the handset for a new one, id the phone is less than 6 months old, your carrier, if its branded shoul give a new phone..its the law

23. Lizardroid

Lizardroid Active Member

Consumer protection law in my country is a joke.

24. LiamDD

LiamDD New Member

Thank god I found this thread! I really thought my phone was on it's way out and I've only owned it for a few months (no more than 4). I have the T-Mobile G2 Touch, which I'm aware is just the HTC Hero with a crap name, and I have the exact same problem. Yesterday I couldn't press anything at the bottom of the screen, making it almost impossible to type a message. I also have problems pressing the letter A. Also, at random times the board goes completely out of sync. I'm almost certain it's a faulty board behind the screen as I look after my phone, so I'm going to pay T-Mobile a visit, as this seems like the wisest move as I'm not so sure HTC will deal with my specific device.

25. sconir

sconir Member

My phone started to loose the botttom functions this week as well, found this thread and visited T-mobile shop, where they did not seem surprised by the fault (worrying), told me it will be sent for repair and gave me the crappiest basic, worn out handset ever.

If this is a developing problem, it's about time HTC addressed it, and organised a recall, otherwise they will suffer from a lot of negative feedback from users and loose customers back to the Ipod.