• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero bluetooth? What is it good for?

I would like to transfer images / pictures via Bluetooth to my PC from my HTC Hero.

Does anyone have any idea? I can pair my Hero with my PC but there is no option to send via bluetooth when selecting images.

Any help appreciated.

Lettuce

Android OS 1.5 (which is what the Hero is currently running) doesn't support Bluetooth file transfer. THere will be an update sometime before the end of April that will bring this feature. If you are at your PC, is there any reason you can't use the data cable that came with the phone?

Reactions: Lettuce
Upvote 0
Security hole shmeshmurity hole. Linux is a security hole... if they were really concerned with that, then they should have used a more stable OS for the phone (and yes, there are stable secure OS's out there and I'm not talking Windows or anything commercially available to the common PC user).

Lol, how wrong you are.

Why do you think the majority of servers run Linux?
Why do you think Microsoft have adopted the Linux security model of elevated permissions for Windows 7?

Because of it's stability and security.

Upvote 0
So after reading through this thread, I'm left wondering....

How's the compatibility w/ bluetooth FM transmitters? I've been tempted to get that Motorola T505 so I can stream the Hero's music player through my car speakers. Can't tell through these posts if the Hero would work well with it. Input appreciated!

Upvote 0
Android OS 1.5 (which is what the Hero is currently running) doesn't support Bluetooth file transfer. THere will be an update sometime before the end of April that will bring this feature. If you are at your PC, is there any reason you can't use the data cable that came with the phone?
The Samsung Galaxy Portal runs 1.5 and supports file transfer just fine - taking all her contacts from the pld phone without any additional apps required.

Upvote 0
So after reading through this thread, I'm left wondering....

How's the compatibility w/ bluetooth FM transmitters? I've been tempted to get that Motorola T505 so I can stream the Hero's music player through my car speakers. Can't tell through these posts if the Hero would work well with it. Input appreciated!

The Hero does support playing audio over Bluetooth - after a fashion. It's not brilliant - occasional stutter while playing, and the volume controls on the BT device (if there are any) won't change the playback volume - but you can listen to music in the car.

I'm hoping that 2.1 when it arrives will give a better implementation of BT Audio than what's there now - a bit more like the Sony Ericsson Symbian smartphones where Bluetooth 'just worked'.

Regards

Pete

Upvote 0
The Hero does support playing audio over Bluetooth - after a fashion. It's not brilliant - occasional stutter while playing, and the volume controls on the BT device (if there are any) won't change the playback volume - but you can listen to music in the car.

It works fine on my Pioneer DEH-P75BT headunit... I can control the volume from the headset (or remote) and change tracks with no problem.

The phone works properly too.

Still a PITA that I can't send pictures and audio files to another phone though :mad:

Upvote 0
I'm hoping that 2.1 when it arrives will give a better implementation of BT Audio than what's there now - a bit more like the Sony Ericsson Symbian smartphones where Bluetooth 'just worked'.

Regards

Pete

HEAR HEAR! My five-year-old Motorola RAZR V3m transferred its contact book flawlessly to my old Pioneer Bluetooth head unit (sucky as THAT was) using Bluetooth. AMAZES me that a current model smartphone can't support simple Bluetooth contact pushing. I'm really tired of having to look at the Hero when trying to dial someone in the car...everyone else with modern smartphones (including the Palm Pre now!) can push contacts to their cars' older Bluetooth-equipped head units (i.e. those that don't support PBAP)...except us.

Upvote 0
Hey

I am trying to use the bluetooth to transfer files from my laptop to hero and vice versa with no luck. I was then told the hero does not support file transfer or something along those lines??

Can someone tell me what the bluetooth is actually good for? Can I pair it with bluetooth headphones etc?
i have bluetooth bh-503 but don't work on my phone htc desire

Upvote 0
It's funny I came across this thread, because just today I learned how to transfer files between my phone and laptop. I'm running stock 2.1 on my Hero and Windows 7 on my laptop. When I wanted to send a file from my laptop, I right-clicked the file, and under the "send to" tab, i selected bluetooth. The first time i did it, I had to set up my phone and laptop with some verification code, but after that first time it worked great! As far as sending a file to my laptop, the only thing I've really tried it with is a picture from my phone. I selected the picture, pressed the "menu" button on my phone, and clicked "share" and you should be able to select your laptop and from there it's self explanatory. I really hope this helps! I think it's a really cool feature!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones