HTC Hero - copilot downloaded from website install help

Last Updated:

1. benjaminhardy

benjaminhardy New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys, I downloaded theCopilot 8 software for my HTC Hero from the main ALK website, followed the instructions which include extracting the downloaded file to the main directory of the phone simcard. After that it should automatically install on the phone but nothing is happening and I can't find a solution.

I downloaded to my PC via the website as I thought it would be more reliable than through the app market.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

I'm try to remember how I did it, but I think I installed it via HTC Sync/Application installer.

When it asks for the programme direct it to the APK file you downloaded.

You have to change a setting on the phone before you try to install.

Settings
    Applications
    Tick Unknown Sources

When you've installed it remember to untick Unknown Sources again.

I'm pretty sure that's how I done it, hopefully someone will back this up for you.

Cheers Al

3. benjaminhardy

benjaminhardy New Member This Topic's Starter

alinver,

Thanks very much for your reply. I have gone through your directions but there seems to be no .apk file to direct app installer to.

The two folders downloaded are called 2577 and copilot. They are on my sim card but I cant find a way to activate it.

The frustrating thing is that while this option is available from the ALK website they don't provide correct guidance to install.

4. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure somebody will be able to help you. I'm afraid I've exhausted all my knowledge, such as it is!

Al

5. AstroDonut

AstroDonut Well-Known Member

Is the 2577 and copilot folder on your pc?? if so, follow these instructions...

1) Connect the device to the PC using a USB cable
    2) On the device, slide the notification bar towards the bottom of the screen and tap on USB connection
    3) Select Mount
    4) Ensure you have enough space on the memory card
    5) copy the Copilot folder (not the 2577 folder) at the root of the memory card
    6) Disconnect the device from the PC (safely remove on pc and unmount on device)
    7) Launch CoPilot

I had installation issues and got a link to a fresh download from ALK Customer Services, let me know if you struggle and I'll send you the link, your files may be corrupt.

p.s. you mention downloading to SIM card, that is not possible, I presume you mean microSD card

6. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

7. AndyPandy

AndyPandy New Member

I had what sounds like an identical experience - now seemingly resolved.

After purchasing, I received a link to the download of the SD image. There were no installation instructions whatsoever. After a lot of messing around, I found that the image files appeared to be for WM and PPC etc. The I stumbled on a link concerning upgrades which gave me the idea to download the 'com.alk.copilot.apk' file. I put this on a PC, plugged in my HTC and then installed the 'apk' using HTC Sync. The installation then went remarkably easily and everything appears to be fine so far. I have a support request open with ALK but so far no reply - I have given them a ticking off about ruining an otherwise good product with lousy user information and support.

I guess one could install the 'apk' by a number of methods - I have only described the one I used.

8. fmk

fmk New Member

Hi everyone I've the same problem - can't get copilot on to my HTC Hero. AstroDonut - your instructions are very clear & easy to follow - however when I get to step 7 I cannot find copilot on the phone to launch it? I've checked the copilot folder & it's there in the root directory but doesn't appear as an application on the phone. Can anyone help?

9. JeffinCA

JeffinCA Well-Known Member

That's not working for me. I tried:
    1) Left-clicking the link with my PC's web browser (went to CoPilot Live GPS Navigation for iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows Mobile)
    2) Right-clicking to "Save as" (got some HTML code that doesn't help)
    3) Tediously transcribing the text into my EVO 4G (went to the same web site as left-clicking on my PC).

I've sent an e-mail to ALK requesting correct instructions and valid links. I will re-post anything I find here.

Jeff