HTC Hero downgrading RUU 140 error fix.

Last Updated:

1. jared1234

jared1234 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so i have looked every where, and from what i have been able to figure out is that this error is due to either an SD card not willing to become a goldcard or the RUU i downloaded is incorrect.

i downloaded the RUU from bak2basiks page which is what a few of my friends downloaded and worked for them.

and i tried to dl it from xda site but that link is dead.

so before shooting myself in the face my friend recommended that i try the fountain of knowledge that is androidforums.com

I have the HTC Hero, gsm, on the Telus network.

im hoping someone has had the same problem and has figured out how to fix it. because anytime someone out there post something about this error, it never gets any responses!

please respond, lol

cheers!

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Have you tried this?

Also, what is your current build number and what do you want to end up running? And have you got/been offered 2.1 yet?

3. jared1234

well i tried your suggestion with the diffrent gold card method and the gold card worked...says it did anyways.

well now its giving me error 140: bootloader version error (is this progress?)

and on my phone it says checking main version...
    Update fail!

i believe i am trying to downgrade it to v1.76 in order to root.

and to answer your question about if i have 2.1
    well my carrier is the last to release 2.1 to the gsm hero in the world....many believe that they just arent going to do it....its been almost a year and no sign of 2.1

so i am trying to root my hero so that i can play with 2.1 and other custom roms.

my current build number is 2.73.661.46
    android 1.5
    and yes it is the hero 130 =)

this is the only RUU i have been able to find and have been trying to use

RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.1_R3_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver

im totally stumped...everything goes very smoothley except for the bloody downgrading process!! grr
    any ideas?

p.s. thanks for the super speedy response!

thanks

4. jared1234

ok i got an update.

basically what the problem is with my 140 error is that although the RUU's i have work, they are very particular, although they have the same file extension and name there is a diffrence between them, for everyone that has a problem with the 140 error (which seems to be alot of people ) you need to download the same RUU but from the XDA site.

For some reason there are some people who just dont have a problem the first time, and thats cool, but for alot of people they get the error 140 : bootloader version error. well i did some digging and the RUU version from XDA is the one we need or else we will not be able to continue to downgrade the hero.

PROBLEM IS! that all links to this RUU have vanished into thin air! the link is there but it seems that xda has taken it down or no longer supports that RUU.
    What ever the case is we need that particular file!

and i bet alot of people get that error and when asking for help are told that it is the goldcard and that they need to redo a goldcard, nope, just need the RUU from xda and your set.

So with that said, if anyone in the world can post a link here for the xda RUU which is supposed to be located here The road to freedom for your hero - xda-developers

please for the love of god

lol =)

cheers

5. jared1234

Problem found and fixed!!!

ok so the problem was with the RUU (bootloader), some people get a 140 error, this means you need a specific RUU for downgrading.

Now dont get confused, most of the links to the RUU needed to downgrade work for most people. It would seem however that there are a select number that those ones don't work for.

From what i have found there are 3 diffrent types of the exact same program (RUU) with the exact same name, BUT! all 3 have diffrent file sizes!

IT DOES MAKE A DIFFRENCE i believe the fail safe RUU (the one i used) is the best one to use for downgrading your hero.

There is a 86mb file, a 99mb file and a 101mbfile

you want the 101mb file.

after almost 10 hours of google searching i found the bugger that xda no longer supports!!!!!
    Dont even bother going into the xda wiki because even though the file names say they are what they are...its wrong and outdated!

here is the link to the RUU that we need to get past the error 140

RUU Hero HTC WWE 2 73 405 5 WWE release signed NoDriver - Download from megaupload.com - Filestube.com

hopefully someone somewhere can make this file always available...at least until no one uses hero's anymore

this was a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS for me because everyone kept saying it is a goldcard error.....nope

i am now rooted and am running the laest froyovilain rom and it was alll worth it...kinda...im now missing my hair and have had 2 strokes and a heart attack while figuring that out!

hope i helped someone!
    cheers

6. BigC_13

BigC_13 Member

Glad you got it working Jared, sorry we couldn't get it running yesterday

7. Xyro

Hmmm, interesting.

This should be useful to know :)

8. jared1234

No worrys Big C, and thx Xyro for the goldcardTool suggestion, made it alot easier!

Ya i think that this will stop a lot of peoples headaches,

I took a little info each from about 10 sites and blog posts.

and alas a solution..lol

wish i could change the thread title and find the right place to put this info though, im just not that great with forums ad i don't wanna piss anyone off lol

9. Xyro

Don't worry, it's not just you; regular members can't change titles or move their posts. But tell me where you want it and the new title and I can do it for you.

I think I'll probably add this to the rooting guide we have too.

10. jared1234

Wow that would be great Xyro thanks!
    As where to put it, honestly, im pretty new to androidforums. I think you would have the best idea of where it should go, however i think the title should read : HTC Hero downgrading RUU 140 error fix..... lol that seems like a really long title, haha darn, maybe you have an idea of that to =) cheers! =) =)

11. Xyro

Ok, I've changed the title for you. Honestly, this is the best section for your thread, since we keep all rooting stuff in phone specific forums.

I will add it to our Hero rooting guide though, which links to any especially useful threads. That way people can find it even after it drops off the main page :)

One thing though, did you mean error 130? That was your original title.

12. jared1234

Thanks a bunch Xyro, in the beggining my first problem was the 130 error, once i figured out that the 130 error is due to faulty goldcard, i tried a diffrent sd card and the goldcardtool method given to me by you, then tried to downgrade, then thats when i got the 140 error.

basically you wont know if you have the wrong bootloader if you have a faulty goldcard because it will fail at the 130 error ( shitty goldcard).

once you fix the goldcard, and try running the faulty RUU (bootloader) is when it will then tell you bootloader error 140.

then you know your goldcrd is working but you need to get the bootloader i posted.

so i think 140 error in the title is bang on.

thanks again for that!!!

myself and im sure future rooters will thank you =)

13. Xyro

Ah ok, 140 it is then :)

14. diogenes

diogenes Member

I have this issue still
    I have what I believe is a good gold card - I have created a few just to check
    I do not get Error 130 when I run the RUU exe. I have tried the img file you linked to at MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service and
    RUU_Hero_HTC_Asia_SEA_WWE_2.73.728.5_release_signed_NoDriver.exe
    and
    RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.1_R3_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe
    all give the same sad result ---- Error 140 :confused:
    Any further ROM img suggestions would be gratefully received

15. jared1234

Has anyone still been experiencing this problem still. You shouldn't since 2.1 has been pushed and is much easier to root. But if anyone still has this problem and can't find a link to download the correct file just shoot me a message and i will figure out a way to send it to you.

16. jared1234

So i seem to be getting some responses in regards to the proper RUU file needed to complete the downgrade of the GSM hero.

I have the file but have not been able to find another link to post for everyone.

Im hoping that perhaps Xyro or Slug (our fearless forum leaders) might be able to make a link if i provide the file to either of you...im just really not good with the whole upload link thingy....

let me know...in the meantime i can send anyone the file through email. F.Y.I its a 100mb file soooooo ya.

let me know
    cheers

17. jared1234

Hey again, So im having trouble uploading the ruu file to anyone because i am using gmail and it has a 25mb max attachment cap.

So i would like post a link for people to one of those download sites but im not sure if i have to pay to be a member to upload or if there is another site that can host those sorts of things...

i would look around but between work, life and learning App development i just can't justify the time to poke around for a few hours trying to figure out what site is the easiest to upload to and so on.

if anyone has any suggestions please let me know since i see there has been a lot of views on this thread im assuming this is an issue that tons of people have and i have the file to fix it but no way to get it out.

cheers

18. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Dropbox, in your Public folder? The basic account (2GB) costs nothing and their servers are pretty decent speed-wise. I can even give you a referral for an additional 250MB should you wish. ;)

19. Xyro

I've used mediafire in the past, and I believe you just upload the file and it gives you a download link, without any messing about with accounts.

20. jared1234

Awesome thanks for your help guys.
    I have to go to bed right now because im working early tomorrow.
    But when i get home i will be sure to set it up and post the link...and hopefully help some people out.

21. jared1234

22. JonathanSkinny

JonathanSkinny Active Member

I have the same error code message for my HTC EVO 3d while using root does anyone happen to have the link that works?? I would greatly appreciate it.