HTC Hero firmware

Last Updated:

1. unxposed

unxposed New Member This Topic's Starter

This is probably going to be a stupid question, but I don't know about these things and would love some advice from somebody that did.

I'm in the UK on an o2 contract, I'd like to buy an htc hero, unlock it, and use it with my o2 sim. I assume this is possible.

There are some good deals on ebay for unwanted T-mobile G2 (HTC hero) upgrades (plus black looks the nicest in my opinion).

I just wanted to check the situation with the firware update for this, as the speed imrovement is a big selling point for me... will I still be able to get hold of and install the T-Mobile G2 firware update if I bought this phone even though I would have no contract with them, as I'm on o2?

Many thanks!

Advertisement
  2. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

the firmware is available for the t mobile hero but as you will be putting in a o2 sim you may need to do a lot of detectve work after you have unlocked it t know which rom to download. The serial number will be registered to t-mobile so getting a different official rom might be difficult. You may need to root it to a custom rom.

3. unxposed

Thanks very much for the response!

Okay so you're saying that I'll be able to use the phone okay on o2, but if I want to update the firmware with the t-mobile official update then it may not work because it will check to make sure the sim is tmobile before updating?

Do you know where I would find a update that would work? I wouldn't even know where to begin?

Thanks again

4. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

You've come to the right place (almost) check out the hero forum on this site as most of the issues and solutions have been discussed before.

I dont think it checks for the sim but as its a t-mobile phone and rom you will have to change a few settings inside to work with O2 (if t-mobile havn't locked it all down in the software). Its also worth making sure you can get a reliable unlock code before you buy as there are alot of dodgy site out there. Again search the forums.

5. unxposed

Thanks!

So I'm not that much clearer after searching the forums. I think you can unlock the tmobile G2 and use it on o2, a few people briefly mentioned they have done this.

I'm even less sure about all this update business, I think it might be possible to use the official tmobile update straight off, but I'm not sure.

Can you at the very least wipe the phone of the os and reload a non t-mobile version?

I think I might just buy it, I'm sure I'll get it working somehow!

Feel free to move this to the Hero forum anyone.

Thanks.