HTC Hero Flashed for Tracfone Service

1. Duh_man

Duh_man New Member

I currently have a Sprint HTC Hero200 running CyanogenMod07.1.00RC1-Heroc and well what can you say... the CyanogenMod's ROCK... But :D (yea I know there is always a but) I am not able to afford service with Sprint right now and had to resort to a tracfone for the for seeable future :eek: (ok, everyone cry now)....

from what I have been able to gather,

My Droid is CDMA while the Tracfone is GSM

.... BUT....:D

Tracfone does support BOTH CDMA and GSM for Vioce and CDMA2000 for data... So is it possible????

You already know my long drawn out question... BUT... :D here it is anyway...

Is it possible to flash my Driod for use on the Tracfone network, then register and use it (even in a limited fashion)?

Advertisement
  2. RainWind

RainWind Member

Yes. As long as you are in an area with Tracfone CDMA service you can put any CDMA phone on it. Obviously you'll get the usual slew of "OMG ILLEGAL" and "CAN'T" responses, but people do it all the time.

It's the same steps as putting any Sprint android on Boost. Head over to XDA and go to the EVO 4G section. There's a boost guide posted there that should give you an idea what you have to go through.

Don't expect to get 3G data. The steps for getting a Sprint phone working with Verizon 3G, or prepaid 3G in general, is a headache.

Edit: You WILL need to get an unused CDMA tracfone, which means a NEW account. They will NOT activate a CDMA device on an existing GSM account. I tried, because I found ATT sucked in my area and wanted to go to Verizon. I had to burn a new card (This was Straight Talk BTW). Oh, and order Straight Talk from their website or Walmart and for $45 you get the $45 unlimited month card AND a free refurb phone, which you'll need.
    Duh_man likes this.
  3. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

There is no (legal) step to get a Sprint phone on Verizon 3G, unless you're talking about roaming. Verizon / Sprint will only activate phones that are in their database.

Tracfone may not be so choosy, so you may be able to do it. But you would have to google it.
  4. ashleyw

ashleyw New Member

Hi did you ever get your tracfone flashed to your sprint phone?? im in the same situation..need help!