Htc hero for sprint only $80

Last Updated:

1. Xavion2004

Xavion2004 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. DanielWalker

DanielWalker Well-Known Member

I saw that too and it really makes me mad. When I bought mine it was $100 more and I just knew it would drop in price soon, sprint always does that to me. But seriously what does this say about the Hero? We've all seen it a million times, drop the price and then eventually it's a freebie phone and then it's gone. I thought i was getting something that would be around a while...just bummed now I guess.

3. Xavion2004

I feel where you coming from, but to me it just says that their trying to get rid of as many 1.5 Heros as they can so they can start shipping them with 2.1 (wishful thinking I know)

Also they did the same thing back when the Touch Pro had just come out.
    I bought mine knowing the price would drop and then on some random week it did so I took my TP back and got the money.

If you got your Hero from Best Buy they'll give you the balance back if its within 30 days (or in my case 45, if you are a silver reward zone member)

4. DanielWalker

I got mie for x-mas so there's no way they'll gimme it lol.

5. dmm5157

dmm5157 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened with my Motorola Q9c: They cleared inventory, then stopped selling it for a few weeks, and then started selling it again with WM6.1 after the upgrade was released.

My wife just got one yesterday for $99 after MIR (our local Best Buy doesn't carry Sprint). She'd watched me enjoy mine since launch and decided to go with the Hero over the Moment after playing around with both. I think she spent the entire evening customizing hers. It was nice to see her enjoying it.

6. DanielWalker

Does that seem to make no sense to anyone else? I mean is there going to be any difference in hardware between the Hero we all have and the the one released with 2.1?

7. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

Crap. I just payed $269 a month ago :mad:

8. Xavion2004

Its not about the hardware, its the software. Its easier to sell a phone that already has 1.5 on it and have the consumer upgrade (whenever 2.1 come out) as oppose to going through lot after lot taking out phones that have 1.5 and putting 2.1 on them so they can be shipped with the latest version on them.

They're selling a, for lack of better words, product with out of date firmware for a cheaper price so that the next batch that is shipped out (perhaps in a month) will be the latest and greatest and wont have to be upgraded.

I guess because I work in a grocery store it makes sense to me (when a product is near expiration they sell it for a cheaper price to get it of the shelve faster, that way when the new product comes in you dont have it mixed in with a bunch of old stuff.

9. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with 1.5 - 2.x... The moment you purchased a phone and have made the decision that the value=need to have the phone you should be happy. No different than many other purchases, i.e., Shiny New Car... but the lifespan of a mobile handset is much less and therefore the seemingly quickened pace of your VALUE assigned to the handset being diminished.

That said, the Mobile carriers do not make money from the handsets themselves... and at times when sales are sluggish you will see these fire sales, the price is NOT reflective of the Function/Hardware and or upgrades to the software or OS of the units.

The HERO is out - what??? 6 Months... There should be no worries that you have a useless phone. IF you keep looking back and geee - saying that you are cheated because newer, better phones are due out and you don't have one you are just fooling yourself... or spoiled, lol... The $80 is a great deal... especially for the HERO which is an awesome phone. I paid $179 for my phone and lucked out with the price match thru BB for an $50 rebate within the initial 30 days of my HERO purchase, BUT was perfectly happy with the $179 price for this phone when I decided to buy it.

$80 for this phone is SMOKIN... lol...

:cool:

10. tazcollins

tazcollins Well-Known Member

I purchased my Hero the first of January. At that time I knew it would be outdated and upgraded in six months. Just like my Instinct was. But technology is always improving. Unless you're really rich you just cannot keep up with it. I just enjoy my phone for a year and upgrade. Who actually knows that the Hero 2.1 will be better and have all the bugs worked out by the time it is released. I didn't even like the second and third Instinct that was released. Just enjoy it until you buy something else. Everything in life is temporary. TC

11. WORLD OF HURTS

WORLD OF HURTS Member

Bought a Hero yesterday at BestBuy at $149.99. Called them and just got home with $70.00 Cash and had no problems with refunding the difference. They said they match store price to online price for mobile phones........Thanks for the post This Beer is for You !! :)

12. Visionikz03

Visionikz03 Well-Known Member

Yeah thats what happens to us junkies that have to have a phone when it first releases or just randomly happen to be in the market for a new one when they come across the phone. Just a fact of life.

13. Teph

Teph Member

Yeah I paid $149 for mine also and was bummed soon after my 30 day's i see it for $100. But like Tazcollins stated your not really going to keep up with technology. If you want you can get the fancy new phone from Dell with Android. But of course there going with AT&T. Witch isn't a real suprise since Dell likes to over price them selves just to make you think your getting something special.

14. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

means new droid's are on the way, the only reason to bump prices that big is to make room for a new top line droid phone