HTC HERO from Asia with no android market

1. TurtleB

TurtleB Member

Hi everyone, I'm from Canada from i bought an asian htc hero 2 days ago and there was no android market on it, but it still has the other google apps such as gmail, google maps, tweeter.

Turns out the asian htc hero does not come with android market, but i found a solution from xda forum. Just in case new buyers have the same problem as me, i'm posting my solution here. (PS: i searched the forum and there was no solution =P, just i decided to add my input)

There are 2 ways to solve this:

1. Basically, you need to root your phone and load a custom hero ROM onto your phone and everything will be fine. There's videos on youtube and it actually isn't as difficult as it sounds. It only took me 1 hour and most of the time was downloading the ROM.

This forum told me i can root my phone to get my android market, but it's a bit confusing so go with the youtube one below
    xda-developers - View Single Post - no android market on my HTC
    [HELP]to load custom rom into htc hero(asia version) - Page 2 - xda-developers

Methods are located here for newbies:
    How To: Root Your HTC Hero in One Click! | The Unlockr
    How To: Load a Custom ROM on Your HTC Hero | The Unlockr

2. If you really don't want to root your phone and is worried that you will break your phone then maybe try these two sites, they provide android-like-market but it's 1/3 the size of android market.

1. SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace
    2. AndAppStore : New Releases
    3. Leaf Open Market

For reference, my htc (asian brand) hero build was:
    Baseband version: 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18
    Kernel version: 2.6.27-8dd6deee htc-kernel@and18-2
    Build #:2.73.728.5 146733 CL#61267 release-keys

Hope that helps >=]

Advertisement
  2. Lunfai

Lunfai Member

Didn't I give you a link to the Market Enabler apk file on Android Community? It's a much simpler process and doesn't require a hard reset.