HTC Hero & Handwriting

Last Updated:

1. Kirk

Kirk New Member This Topic's Starter

I've just got my hands on a HTC Hero and I can't find the handwriting support that numerous websites AND the Orange website who supplied the phone said it had.

I've looked around on the web a bit and can't seem to find any cast iron information on this but almost all of them give "Handwriting support" as one of the key features of this phone.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this?

If not I shall be sending it back and continuing with my Magic - Which is fab.

Many thanks.

Advertisement
  2. SirGaz

SirGaz Active Member

I must admit, I can't remember seeing anything to do with Handwriting support, but then I was too busy drooling over the specs and pictures to read all of the hype.

I seriously doubt it would work anyway as you need your finger to input on the screen and that is a lot less accurate than a stylus (capacitive screen so it doesn't work with a stylus)

3. Kirk

Yeah, sadly I think it's going back, Orange have agreed to take it back as it doesn't do what they say it does. Personally this is no bad thing really as it seems so much more laggy than my Magic and the interface is much less intuitive.

Interestingly I just found this on Youtube - YouTube - MyScript Handwriting Technology for Google Android

Which is a Magic doing handwriting. I don't believe this software is ready/available yet.

4. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

Don't return it because of the lag - the update sorts this out - the interface may take some getting used to but the general concensus is that it is streets ahead - otherwise you can always disable it.

5. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video link, I hadn't seen that one before. I must say, it does quite a good job of deciphering those scraggles! As an ex Palm addict, handwriting is the #1 thing I miss on Android.

What's the name of the software? How does one go about obtaining it? :confused:

6. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

there's an app called "Mobile Write." I dont know how well it works though/

7. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Well-Known Member

favouring the magic over the hero? Insane? The interface better android supremely and if you haven't tried a Hero with the update installed, then why bother?

8. anaran

anaran Member

I am using Mobile Write with good success.
    Free demo version has full feature set.
    It does not currently work in ASE terminals, but that should be fixed eventually.
    One thing I miss is that Mobile Write does not offer any history-based work completion like the Windows Mobile palm-like handwriting recognition.
    Still beats all the keyboard-based input methods hands-down for me.
    Adrian

9. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

Why do the Chinese get single character recognitio and we dont? Out alphabet is so much simpler and easy to recognise :/

10. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

That's exactly why. There isn't a Chinese alphabet as such at all; a single 'character' can have multiple meanings depending on how it's used.

11. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

My point was actually that they get single character input by hand.
    Out alphabet is simple and could to my mind support multichar/word input instead of single letters.

12. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Probably a question of necessity. It's pretty much essential for languages such as Chinese. I don't doubt it's possible to implement it for other Latin-type alphabets.

13. Kirk

The video shows software made by Myscript - Who already make various handwriting software but I couldn't figure out when or if they are releasing the Android version.

14. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Hope they bring it out soon.