• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC hero Keyboard problems

Hi all,

Brand new to the forum and have owned my hero (unlocked on Vodafone UK) for about 2 months. I love the phone and I am a big Android fan (even if the world of Android scares the bejesus out of me).

I have a problem with my keyboard that only seems to have started since I installed the Hero firmware update (which has sped up the phone considerably).

When I first got the phone I was really impressed by the Keyboard and the speed at which I could type. But since the update it is really slow and keys on the right edge of the screen (especially delete) don't register at all sometimes.

I have calibrated the keyboard but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Anybody else experienced the same?

Any advice welcomed

One of the many reasons mine's on ebay- a total dealbreaker. Delete and return are a bloody nightmare. SO ANNOYING.

There seem to be quite a lot of Heros on Ebay - and they aren't fetching much. I hope you have better luck....

I sometimes wonder if it's the skin on my thumb that's causing the issues. The area closest to my nail is harder and less sensitive - and it's that part that is used for the right hand side of the KB.

Or am I talking total bollox?

Probably.

Upvote 0
I noticed something weird with mine today, although I think it's a 'feature' rather than an issue.

I just tried to compose a text message with the phone just sitting flat on the desk. Finger tip presses like I always use just weren't working :thinking:

I picked the phone up and then everything worked fine.

I then worked out that if you touch the phone case with your other hand (or even a finger on the same hand), keypresses register fine, but if you don't they almost always fail. Must be something to do with the capacitive screen :rolleyes:

To the OP: Do you have a screen protector fitted? I noticed that mine became slightly less responsive on the right after I fitted one (but I'm living with it in order to save the screen) - I guess another capacitive screen 'feature'.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with delete button in lower right corner.... could it be a water/moist problem allready? I also only have had the phone for a few months.... it came out of nowhere, the only thing I can think of is that i danced a lot this last weekend.... maybe too much heat/moist in my pocket have broke the phone? Daam i do not hope so.... think I will try a reflash to see if it helps?

Upvote 0
I had this issue and I knew for a fact that something had gone wrong because it had previously been perfect. I got a replacement handset from my carrier, and all has been well ever since.

Anybody saying the Hero's keyboard is unusable, I think, may have had a faulty handset because, having used the Desire, I can say the Hero's keyboard is easily as good - the only issue I have is a very occasional lag when I start typing a text message whereby the caps lock is slow to switch off after the first character resulting in: "HELlo.."

Upvote 0
If you are not afraid of losing the Sense UI, then you should try downloading another user interface. This will come with either a stock keyboard, or one of it's own and should work better. If that fails, try updating your data profile, because if you have an update that can slow things down and cause a lot of lag.
Happy to Help! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones