HTC hero Keyboard problemsSupport

Last Updated:

1. reversestick

reversestick New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Brand new to the forum and have owned my hero (unlocked on Vodafone UK) for about 2 months. I love the phone and I am a big Android fan (even if the world of Android scares the bejesus out of me).

I have a problem with my keyboard that only seems to have started since I installed the Hero firmware update (which has sped up the phone considerably).

When I first got the phone I was really impressed by the Keyboard and the speed at which I could type. But since the update it is really slow and keys on the right edge of the screen (especially delete) don't register at all sometimes.

I have calibrated the keyboard but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Anybody else experienced the same?

Any advice welcomed

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

The keyboard and it's calibration are crap on the Hero. Sorry this isn't helpful.

3. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

I am also having quite a lot of trouble with keypresses on the far right (such as delete)

Tried calibration, but no good.

It has good days and bad days it seems.

4. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

One of the many reasons mine's on ebay- a total dealbreaker. Delete and return are a bloody nightmare. SO ANNOYING.

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

It actually sounds as if there might be a hardware fault with the capacitive screen, in which case it'll be a repair/replacement under warranty. I'd advise contacting whoever supplied the handset asap.

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Really strange, are you guys sure you calibrated correctly? I don't get these problems at all.

To the OP, turn of the haptic feedback on the keyboard, that should remove any lag you get while typing.

7. rioja

rioja Guest

I've noticed it too. But like trick202 said, there are good days and bad days.

Calibration doesn't appear to do anything for me either.

8. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

There seem to be quite a lot of Heros on Ebay - and they aren't fetching much. I hope you have better luck....

I sometimes wonder if it's the skin on my thumb that's causing the issues. The area closest to my nail is harder and less sensitive - and it's that part that is used for the right hand side of the KB.

Or am I talking total bollox?

Probably.

9. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I noticed something weird with mine today, although I think it's a 'feature' rather than an issue.

I just tried to compose a text message with the phone just sitting flat on the desk. Finger tip presses like I always use just weren't working :confused:

I picked the phone up and then everything worked fine.

I then worked out that if you touch the phone case with your other hand (or even a finger on the same hand), keypresses register fine, but if you don't they almost always fail. Must be something to do with the capacitive screen :rolleyes:

To the OP: Do you have a screen protector fitted? I noticed that mine became slightly less responsive on the right after I fitted one (but I'm living with it in order to save the screen) - I guess another capacitive screen 'feature'.

10. boadk

boadk New Member

I have the same problem with delete button in lower right corner.... could it be a water/moist problem allready? I also only have had the phone for a few months.... it came out of nowhere, the only thing I can think of is that i danced a lot this last weekend.... maybe too much heat/moist in my pocket have broke the phone? Daam i do not hope so.... think I will try a reflash to see if it helps?

11. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

I've had my Hero since last Friday and also have issues with the delete press not registering sometimes.

Not sure if I should call HTC...

12. fantasytozi

fantasytozi Active Member

I just recognized that problem too, especially when laying the phone on the desk. But like trick202 said, bad days and good days, dont know why:(

13. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

Yeah that second thing is really weird. If u just hold the phone horizontally everything works fine, but as soon as u put it down it just stops being responsive :S

14. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

15. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

16. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm beginning to think that it's just happening because of the way I've calibrated it. It's not annoying me too much so far, will see how it goes.

17. Hrochnick

Hrochnick Well-Known Member

I get a bit of trouble on the far right too but I put it down to how much of my thumb is contact with the screen. I.e. not much, because of the change in angle and position of my thumb in order to reach that part. Test it, flat thumb, angled edge of thumb - big difference in responsiveness...

18. constantine24us

constantine24us New Member

I had the Hero for 1 day. The virtual keyboard was virtually unusable. The accellarometer was awful as well.

19. Polo63119

Polo63119 Well-Known Member

Ultra keyboard works perfect guys / check it out in market

20. craigio86

craigio86 Member

I had this issue and I knew for a fact that something had gone wrong because it had previously been perfect. I got a replacement handset from my carrier, and all has been well ever since.

Anybody saying the Hero's keyboard is unusable, I think, may have had a faulty handset because, having used the Desire, I can say the Hero's keyboard is easily as good - the only issue I have is a very occasional lag when I start typing a text message whereby the caps lock is slow to switch off after the first character resulting in: "HELlo.."

21. bigbadlemon

bigbadlemon New Member

Ok, so I've just upgraded to Villainrom 12 on my T-mobile G2 Touch (HERO in otherwords) and I'm having the same problem with the haptic feedback. I can't turn it off for the dialer and for the pattern unlocker - any ideas? (and I've tried the system settings, but it still vibrates)

Any thoughts?

22. SprintFan

SprintFan Member

If you are not afraid of losing the Sense UI, then you should try downloading another user interface. This will come with either a stock keyboard, or one of it's own and should work better. If that fails, try updating your data profile, because if you have an update that can slow things down and cause a lot of lag.
    Happy to Help! :)

23. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

SprintFan, I can't quite pin it down, but something tells me you own a Sprint Hero ;)

Please be aware that this is not the forum for your phone; this is for the GSM HTC Hero, which is a different phone. You want the Sprint HTC Hero - Android Forums section.