• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero Memory Card Corruption

Sonic01

Sep 24, 2009
Hi Guys,

I have had my Hero for about 2 months now, i recently bought a 16gb card for it and filled it with music.

I've started having a problem where random folders on my sd card get corrupted and the phone says it cant read them, i have to run a scan on the card and clean the corruption out for it to start working again.

it seems to happen about once every one or 2 weeks. I have also had the handheld crash twice, once it restarted itself and the last time it just froze.

the phone has had a couple of nasty bumbs that damaged the case a bit...

what do you guys think i should do? I have insurance on the phone but it will still cost

How nasty are the bumps! I would take a guess that its the phone that is causing the problems from the bumps you've given it. May corrupt data on the card when accessing it maybe. Again, depends on the damage but i'd probably replace the phone and keep using hte same sd card. Alternatively you can try the sd card in another device and see the corruption of folders/files carrys on?

Another option is to do a factory reset, but leave that until you are about to send the phone back, as you won't care if everything gets wiped then..

Upvote 0
How nasty are the bumps! I would take a guess that its the phone that is causing the problems from the bumps you've given it. May corrupt data on the card when accessing it maybe. Again, depends on the damage but i'd probably replace the phone and keep using hte same sd card. Alternatively you can try the sd card in another device and see the corruption of folders/files carrys on?

Another option is to do a factory reset, but leave that until you are about to send the phone back, as you won't care if everything gets wiped then..

personally i didnt think they were that bad, they are both on opposite corners of the device denting both the plastic back and the metal front a bit... i might wait for the andriod 2.1 update and see if problems continue after that - the update will do a factory reset as part of the process wont it? also has any one else ever had their hero crash?

Switch to the card that came with the phone for a few days and see how that performs - you'll have to go without all your files in that time but I think it should provide a good idea as to whether your card is the problem.

i did think of this... but i just done think i can go back to using my old mp3 player... its just... asking to much of me...

Upvote 0
It'll only be for a couple of days ;) Seriously though, I suspect the memory card I'm afraid... Other option is to try the memory card in another device? Not necessarily a Hero or even a phone. If you're able to put the card into your computer, there may also be software you can use to scan the card and report any errors - if it's formatted in the right format, you may be able to use one of the standard tools in Windows?

Upvote 0
It'll only be for a couple of days ;) Seriously though, I suspect the memory card I'm afraid... Other option is to try the memory card in another device? Not necessarily a Hero or even a phone. If you're able to put the card into your computer, there may also be software you can use to scan the card and report any errors - if it's formatted in the right format, you may be able to use one of the standard tools in Windows?

yeah i formatted the device and used the windows 7 scan disk tool on it and it says its fine, of course if i run the scan after the phone says its dodgy it picks up loadsa stuff.

i dont really have any other uses for the card so im not sure what else i could do to try to replicate the problem...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones