htc hero message tones

Last Updated:

1. jo12jt1

jo12jt1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok folks, ive been looking thru the site looking for information regarding where to put the ringtones for messages. I have tried all the answers from the other questions and still find that i cant get them to be recognised or even to work. Any ideas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Hi their Jo12jt1 :D

1) place the Music file on your SD card {anywhere}
    2) Download an app called "Rings Extended" , free from the Android Market
    3) Go to the appropriate settings on your phone where you usually change the Tone
    4) Click it and select Rings extended
    5) Click the Music file you want as your ringtone

Does this sort out your issue? :)

3. simon211175

simon211175 Active Member

You need to create a folder on your SD card called AUDIO, then another within that called NOTIFICATIONS. Put your message tones in there and they'll be recognised by the phone. This is also the case for alarms and ringtones (unless you just set a song from the music player) - folders called ALARMS and RINGTONES. that way you don't need to download owt from the market.

4. jo12jt1

ok, i am ready to launch my hero over the wall. Does not matter what i do, i cant get my ringtones to play or recognized. audio, notifications folder, does not matter, i new i should of stayed with windows, this really is getting me down, and that is not good news for my phone.

SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. simon211175

are you using the wrong file types?

6. cheggerspop

cheggerspop Well-Known Member

...and **breath**!?!

What is the full name of the file(s) you are trying to use?

Also, my advice would be create a folder on your SD card called >

ringtones

This folder should be a main folder on the SD card and not in any other folder.

Drag the files in there and then you should be able to access them by clicking >

Menu > Settings > Personalize > Default ringtones > Then find the file > Click > Press OK

Chegs.

7. Steve-W

Steve-W Member

Think i read on these forums that the SD card needs to be formated as FAT32 before using the folders method.

8. simon211175

It's possible - although mine is straight from the packet. I've got folders set up as I described above and it works fine, so unless there is something with the filename/type I'm lost as to what the problem is. :/

9. jo12jt1

OK. I have downloaded ringdroid and i can get the tones that i make to go to the notifications, HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRA, AND THE TONE LASTS FOR ABOUT 1.5 SECONDS. I have checked to see how long the tone is, and its about 10 seconds worth. Does not matter what tone i download or make they all do the same, 1.5 seconds. is there a setting that i am missing, last chance then back to windows. I cant get my head around this

10. RavenCorinnCarluk

RavenCorinnCarluk New Member

Having just spent almost an hour beating my head against my phone reading through this posts, I wanted to add some additional info.

I have HTC Hero, fresh from Sprint, right out of the box.

I followed Simon's instructions, with an AUDIO folder, and with a RINGTONE folder, and neither worked. So I downloaded Ringdroid to save a file, and it butchered my mp3. It took a 15 second clip, and compressed it into garbage sounds. It's no uninstalled.

But because I'd saved a folder, I had new folders on my sd card. I was then able to create my own notification/alarm folders, and now am merrily loading my custom sounds.

So, on the root sd, create a folder marked media. (Not sure if it's case sensitive, didn't play with it that much. I've just left mine all in lower case.) In media goes audio, and in that are alarms, notifications, and ringtones.

Now that it's that easy for me, I thought I would add my two cents for others having issues.

11. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member

you need to convert your "notification" music to m4a....the mp3 will only work as ringers. for notification convert to m4a...thats how i got it to work..

lemonsorrel likes this.
  12. Andy Roid

Andy Roid New Member

I found that Ringdroid was chopping my mp3 tones. I gave up with it .....me being thick I would guess not ringdroid.

I created media/audio/notifications
    I created media/audio/ringtones

in the root of the sdcard .... i dropped non rindroid edited mp3 files in there.

When I went to settings .. sound and display ....notification sound ...I could see my tone and select ... but the phone just played the default.

I then tried going into messages ..and then going to the settings menu in there ...enable notifications mesages in message bar ... then you are able to select sound from there ..... this worked .....

13. RobInBrentwood

RobInBrentwood Member

FYI,

I have been using a free app called Mabilo. There is thousands of free ringtones that people have uploaded available to download through it and within the app you can select tone and also assign certain tones to certain contacts.

14. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I wish you could just have notifications on Vibrate only :(

15. lgrulz

lgrulz New Member

For vibrate only just move the volume rocker on the left side of the phone all the way down past silent and its a vibrate all.

16. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I know but I like my phone to actually ring since the vibration on this phone is relatively weak hence why I would prefer that notifications such as txt, emails and etc were on vibrate instead of phone calls.

17. simon211175

I'm sorry - I should have looked before posting, media/audio etc is what I meant. :$

18. Pegasus85

Pegasus85 New Member

Got my HTC Hero today,

These threads are so useful :) ive been trying to get music tracks to play when i receive a message :) (instead of those boring default tones) and with alot of reading i've managed it, so many thanks to all that have posted.

notification should be in mp4 format for playback on the phone.
    This is how i managed
    1: mount phone to pc
    2: open phone on pc
    3: create a file and call it audio
    4: inside this file create another file and name it notification
    5: drag and drop the mp4 tracks into this notification folder
    6: remove phone from pc and switch phone off.
    7: turn phone back on, menu>settings>sound & display>notification sound. select the sound you want.

This worked really well for me and i hope it works well for others

19. padedeux

padedeux New Member

Hi i'm fairly new to the hero and i'm trying toput some music onto my phone, i know i have to mount it to the pc but yhis maybe a dumb question but can someone explain to me how i mount my phone.

All help gratefully accepted

Thanks in advance.

20. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

Plug the USB cable into the phone, then open the notifications area, and just tap the USB notification, when a popup opens, select Mount.

You will see your SD card on your computer as a removable drive.

21. andygo

andygo Member

Rings extender doesn't work - well not for me anyway. The filing sysem works though!

22. erniebernie

erniebernie Member

No need for .mp4 anywhere folks..

On my unbranded Hero's sd card I have this file structure:

/media/audio/alarms
    /media/audio/notifications
    /media/audio/ringtones

Use small caps on folders, copy .mp3 and possibly reboot yor phone. Choose email and messaging notifications from inside respective apps (HTC Email, Gmail, etc).

Works for me..

23. lemonsorrel

lemonsorrel New Member

Thanks erniebernie this was the only way I got it to work for me..........