HTC Hero on Orange UK - never had the 2.1 update?Support

Last Updated:

1. gtijon

gtijon New Member This Topic's Starter

Am I right in thinking that Orange UK have released an over the air update to bring the Hero up to date with the later versions of Android?

The thing is, my phone's never had any over the air update as far as I'm aware. I installed the update which came out around this time last year (download from the HTC website and install via USB), which was supposed to speed things up a little.

Is there some way of forcing the update if I've not had it? I've already tried setting the date forward by 2 weeks for a few days.

Edit: Firmware version shows as 1.5, Baseband Version as 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18, Kernel as 2.6.27-8dd6deee, build number as 2.73.61.5 146733 CL#61267 release-keys, Software version as 1.0.0.A6288

Advertisement
  2. gtijon

Having had a bit of a read, I've done the '*#*#682#*#*' dance a few times, and some details have altered:

Kernel version now reads:
    2.6.27-8dd6deee
    htc-kernel@and18-2

Build number:
    2.76.61.91 CL#140433 release-keys

Firmware, baseband version and software version are unchanged.

The update button has appeared, but it claims there are no updates available.

3. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Go to your time and date settings and take your date back a few days and a few months, this should force the OTA to pop up on the phone, you should get 2 updates, one to prepare your phone for 2.1, and the change the date again.

SHOULD WORK!

gtijon likes this.
  4. gtijon

I got a couple of updates by doing the star hash dance - do you mean these two or some others?

5. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

In order to get the update to Android 2.1 over the air you first need to make sure you have the latest Orange version of Android 1.5 installed. It is ROM Version:2.73.61.66 and can be found on the htc website here. You will need to download this using your pc and then install it using HTC Sync. Instructions for doing this are on the website. Be aware that this wipes all of your data on the phone (not the SD card) so make sure you backup.

Once that is installed you should quickly be asked if you want to upgrade - that will occur twice because there are a further two upgrades needed. So make sure you are logged into Wifi at that stage, because the second one is quite big.

The whole process (including installing version .66) took about an hour for me. Getting it all back to what I wanted from a fresh start took a bit longer!