• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero on T-Mobile

neekoid

Lurker
Jul 2, 2009
Heres the deal.

I hate being locked down to a particular network on a handset, more to do with them having to approve each and every software update rather than having to use it on a network.

As a result, i debranded my n96 the same week i took delivery of it, meaning i got all nokias updates immediately.

Im wanting the HTC hero as it looks very promising as a handset, and also as a development environment for me (im planning on getting into android development)... but im kind of wondering if im going to suffer the same locked-down syndrome that nokia handsets suffer with...

Yes, yes you are. If you're developing for Android, I would assume you would want to 'root' your phone to try apps. (rooting gives you developer access to all the systems of the phone.)

You will also be locked to T-Mobile in terms of waiting for updates but, to date, they have only taken a couple of weeks to get the updates 'customised'. They haven't taken out any features in any updates so far.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones