Htc Hero or I wait for Htc HD2

Last Updated:

1. Xellos

Xellos Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

Maybe this is not the right place to ask this question but I know you guys will try to help me. My option is or to buy Htc Hero now or wait for Htc HD2 to be at the same price of the Hero.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

It comes down to this.

Do you want Windows Mobile?

Or

Do you want Android?

Two completely different operating systems. Only thing that links the two together in terms of them being both HTC's and both having a fancy UI to jazz up there OS (though having a more jazzy interface on the Android platfrom is a bonus but on a Windows Mobile OS it is a must to cover up the outdated, boring, crappy UI).

Also think about what you are going to use the phone for.

Office (editing documents, sending many emails etc?)

Then may be Windows / HD2 is for you..

Camera on the HD2 is obviously better..resolution better..but it depends..

3. mwilson1987

mwilson1987 Active Member

The HD2 is BIG, yes this is because it has an incredible screen but for me it's just too big for a phone. Down to personal preference I suppose.

It's out for Vodafone but apparently they have run out of stock already, and O2 have been pushing back the release date for weeks and weeks now. I also think that it will be a long time before it is the same price as the Hero - I get the Hero for

4. Xellos

I will use the phone mostly for You Tube and Browsing more than making documents etc.

5. jUsT2eXy

Well then a big screen would be more favourable... but .. this would mean you'd be stuck with Windows Mobile which is something you don't want to do..

So the Hero would be a good compromise. Great screen in terms of resolution and colours, and has many many apps coming out all the time.

With Windows Mobile developers have stopped developing apps on a huge scale as Android and iPhone have taken over and are more in demand, thus they can make money.

So yeah HTC Hero. But if you can wait then see what comes out before the New Year. I'd wait for the Sony X10 or Droid... but Hero is still amazing and will still be up there come next year.

If only the HD2 was running Android it would be the most amazing phone so far !

6. Xellos

Yes Hero is a great phone. The problem with mobiles is that if you can wait forever because there is always a new mobile the week after you buy one.

How is You Tube on the Hero?

7. jUsT2eXy

Yep that is the problem. I bought the Hero (As I was desperate to throw my N97 in the bin), but I was waiting on information on the Sony X10 / Droid..but I am glad I got the phone. I got it off ebay NEW but it was heavily discounted :D so in Feburary when the X10 comes out or when Droid is here I may buy it...as I didn't fork out mega bucks for a brand new one so I won't be obliged to keep it forever :D

It's up to you in the end. :cool:

8. Xellos

Droid will be better from the Hero in Specs?

9. jUsT2eXy

Well it has a physical Keyboard which is always a plus, but some people are not bothered.

It has flash which will allow you to take pictures in the dark. So if you like taking pictures at night / low light conditions it's essential.

Droid has larger screen + higher resolution.
    Droid has Bluetooth Version 2.1
    Droid has a secondary camera.

Droid talktime and standby time is less than the Hero.
    Droid weighs more than the Hero.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=2861&idPhone1=3001

So yeah I guess it is marginally better. But I love the Sense UI ..

10. Xellos

Thanks for your help :)

11. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Is WinMo (WinPho) 6.5 still crappy then? I thought it had been completely revamped so that a stylus was no longer needed for operation..?

12. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

Not really. Win Mo 6.5.1 has had some major changes, but unfortunatly that version hasn't made it into devices yet. They have had it for months over at XDA, but MS on release 6.5, which still has 90% of the problems 6.1 had

13. Nighthaunt

Nighthaunt Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Hero will be getting Android 2.0 soon as well.

The main difference with the droid is the keyboard (although its a grid type - not offset like a normal qwerty) and the larger screen.

Droid runs vanilla (standard) Android - so none of the fancy HTC sense touches - it resembles the user interface of the G1 and Magic.

The X10 will, like Hero, run a proprietary skin over Android - early vids mean it looks fabulous - more like a pc in operation/animation. I would wait to see how processor powers it - the X1 and X2 could be a bit laggy due to the Experia skin on those (Hero by comparison to X1 and X2 is very fast).

Have a google for some reviews - I like phandroid and phonedog - and see what appeals to you.

Factor in Cost of Contract for phones - after all if your on a cheap contract cause of the phone you have chosen then the money you save can be put aside to buy a sim free upgrade after 8 months if you like.

I went for an N97 because of the keyboard - but hated the interface so ended up buying a sim free Hero - and very pleased with it - hardly put it down and using it more to browse web + this forum than my PC with 26" monitor :)