HTC Hero or iPhone?

Last Updated:

1. fahadchaudhry

fahadchaudhry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi
    I am on 3 (UK) right now and my upgrade is due now. I want to go for a smartphone for personal usage. But I am confused which phone I should go for. On 3, I have two choices, HTC Hero and BlackBerry 9700. But just like everyone I have iPhone in option as well - though it's not on 3 at the moment and I'll have to switch to another network.

I want your opinions about HTC Hero and iPhone. Which one of these is more capable and why? Currently I am fully satisfied with 3. If I make a choice for iPhone, I'll like to go on Orange. Because I have seen some of my friends on O2 with iPhone. I wonder how people praise O2. As long as you are at ground level, signal strength is fine. The moment you move a bit down, like last night we were in cinema, O2 simply vanished; 3 was full. At my job, in our staff room, O2 is again nowhere but 3 is. So, does anyone of you have any idea about Orange network?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

If you want the ability of multi-tasking and customising the look of your phone go with the Hero.

Also...iPhone costs more for no extra benefit.

For me at least, the Hero is by far the better option.

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Hero duh, all my iPhone owning mates want one! I'm with orange and i have to say i think their network is terrific

4. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Defiantly go with Orange they do have the best coverage.
    iphone users have been up in arms over the lack of O2 coverage and thats in London.

5. Elpelco

Elpelco Well-Known Member

Also voting for the Hero here, but what about Vodafone? I can get signal a LOT of places my friends can't, and I have a Hero on there too. But yes, the Hero for sure, if only for the Widgets and homescreens!

6. JODmeister

JODmeister Member

I was in the same position as you earlier this month.

I have been with 3 for 3yrs.....and decided to upgrade to the Hero.

I have an ipod Touch so wanted something a bit different.

So far I am really enjoying the Hero, screen is smaller than iphone but it fits in my pocket better.

Now here's the thing to watch out for if upgrading with 3.

I got the phone on a

7. thisnameistaken

thisnameistaken Well-Known Member

1Gb/mo. To be honest you'll probably struggle to do 1Gb of data a month with the way mobile internet / wifi drains the Hero's battery, you'll have to leave it plugged into the wall and streaming music or something to manage it. :D

To the OP: It's a tricky decision I think. All my friends have iPhones, I decided to get the Hero.

The iPhone 3GS is really nice, it's very snappy and responsive (the Hero isn't, always) and it's simple to use and there's a ton of mature apps for it. But the contracts are pretty expensive - I'm getting more contract usage for

8. dannywooly

dannywooly Active Member

I was in this position last November, all the people at work have iPhones and although i do like it i think Google is gonna rock the boat over the next few years.

Just a pointer though, like you i have been on 3 for 5 years, they wanted the normal

9. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

If it's a straight toss up between the iphone and the hero i'll pick the hero any day of the week. When i first got my hero there were loads of apps for the iphone that just didnt have decent equivalents on android. That's no longer the case. When i first played with an iphone 2 years ago it felt amazing and revolutionary. After using the hero for 6 months picking up an iphone 3GS feels like using a fischer price toy.

Basically, it all comes down to this: android pisses all over the iphone OS. People have been saying that the next version of the iphone will have mutitasking, flash etc, but the fact that the ipad just got announced and even *that* doesnt have any new features IMO shows that it's never gonna happen. The iphone's a great piece of hardware with its legs tied together by apple. Meanwhile android keeps getting better and better.

However, i have to say that if i was buying a phone now i'd wait a couple of months for the legend to come out (basically its gonna be a nexus one with SenseUI). The hero's still great though, to the extent that i'm going to keep it regardless of nexus one / legend. Once the 2.1 update is out then it'll be just as good a phone as either of them, albeit with a slower processor.

10. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

Methinks you will find a touch of bias in this forum so not really that objective! - however I have a Hero and my wife has an iPhone - I would say that the Hero is the more capable and customisable device, but to get the most out of it you have to be prepared to delve a bit more deeply. Not all things are how they should be from day one, and only a bit tweaking here and there will make it the device it should be. I wouldn't say it is a geeks phone, but a touch of geekiness (or a geek friend with an Android phone!) is certainly an advantage.
    The iPhone on the other hand provides a totally flawless user experience, especially when syncing and using with iTunes. This however is at the expense of all the customisation and multi-tasking abilities of Android - so decide if you can live without this - or are prepared to play:)

11. walmsley69

walmsley69 New Member

I have the HTC hero on orange and never really have problems with network coverage. I also have a friend who has just bought an iPhone. He used to have a g1 from T-Mobile and says that id prefers the g1 to his iPhone, apart from the size me it. I would in for the HTC hero because its cheaper, better for customization, and most of all be different from all the people who have the same phone, the iPhone. get a HTC hero.

12. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

I agree. I love my Hero but my father in law has one and is totally out of his depth. Not sure he could mange an I phone to be honest but he would have a much greater chance. They should market the Iphone as the "smart phone for people who arn't" ;o).
    The other concideration though is that over 2 years my Hero will cost me roughly half what an equivelent Iphone package would have cost.

13. fahadchaudhry

fahadchaudhry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you very much guys! Your replies were really helpful and I am certain they will help me make a decision.

One thing more - sorry for raising another issue - I'll certainly be going for Android now. But Nexus One has come and X10 is on its way. Do you recommend that I should wait and go for Nexus or X10, instead of Hero?