HTC Hero Orange branded

Last Updated:

1. steve_

steve_ Member This Topic's Starter

Hey i was hoping you guys could give me some help with my hero. I bought it only a month ago and its orange uk branded. Im in Ireland and on the 3 network. When i got my phone i thought things were working fine, i could send texts and make and receive calls, and connected to the internet through WiFi. However when i purchased a 1gb mobile internet add on for my phone i noticed things were not working too well.

My phone wont pick up any 3g signal and keeps roaming onto another network, im assuming vodafone ireland. I also cant receive or send mms messages. All the APN settings and MMS settings are correct and in place. Initially i thought it might be the fact that its an orange phone that it wasn't working so i flashed it to mocados rom but still no luck. Im at my wits end trying to solve this issue.

any ideas or suggestions would be very welcomed.

Advertisement
  2. petefoth

petefoth Well-Known Member

I was with 3 (UK) until recently and all sorts of stuff only worked properly when I had a 3g connection. The main things I noticed which stopped working when the phone dropped back to 2g were:
    1: Web browsing
    2: Sending email
    Accoring to some words I saw on the 3 web site, they consider that "mobile internet" means a 3g connection, and if you are only connected to 2g the your "mobile internet"won't work. This was the main reaon I left 3 and took a contract with T-Mobile

3. steve_

I'm aware I need the 3g signal to browse the net but I cant pick up any 3g signal regardless of what sim I put in the phone whether it be a meteor, o2 or 3 sim the phone will not pick up a signal so I don't think its something to do with just 3

4. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

You need to check that you have the Access Points (APN's) set up:

Menu > Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile network settings > Access Point names.

You should then have something like "Mobile web" and (for O2) O2 mms.

If not, you can hit menu and add and enter them manually. You should be able to Google the settings or call 3 for them. I had to enter O2 settings manually as the phone didn't pick them up automatically.

5. steve_

As I said all my settings are correct and in place so I don't think its anything to do with that

6. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Sorry missed that.

7. steve_

It's cool. Could it be anything to do with the radio Rom?

8. steve_

can anyone shed some light on it? i was thinking of updating the radio rom but i do not know which one i should use

9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

How old is your SIM, Steve? Could be that you need an updated one from 3 to support 3G.... might be worth contacting them before doing anything to the handset.

I certainly wouldn't change the radio just yet - what is the Baseband version shown in About phone?

10. steve_

Sorry guys jumped the gun there, I just updated the radio Rom and now iv full mms and internet access

11. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Glad you found the solution, Steve. Can you list the baseband version you've updated to? It might help others in a similar position.

12. steve_

Ok im not sure if its fully working yet, i did get 3g signal on my phone but only had 1bar on the signal meter. Then the phone would start roaming, i think 3 has a deal with vodafone in ireland to allow 3 customers to roam onto the vodafone network when 3g signal is low so im hoping this is whats happening like last night i could browse the net and market place so 3g was working for sure but like i said it would soon switch to roaming. Could this be something to do with the radio rom i put on the handset? would there be another rom which might suit my network better? The rom i put onto the handset is 63.18.55.06ju_6.35.09.26