• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC hero perception

Hey guys im going to get a new phone next month and now I have been introduced to android my Archos I cant get enough of android.

I have been looking at phones and the one that has caught my eye in the hero, but their are so many bad reviews and it is rated worse than the G1. I am guessing it is because of no physical keyboard but i prefer virtual anyway.

Now with most contracts 18 months I wanna choose the right phone, so is it ok if a get a little feedback from the comunity.

1. Would you buy it again given the chance now? (Any other phones i should think about more)

2. What you give the the hero out of 10.

3. Are their any majour pros or cons that dont apply to most other phones such as multi-touch.

thanks for the reply if you do.

sorry I know this proberly eliminates most phones but I would only get it if it had...
Multi-touch (I cn see a lot of new great apps being developed in the future)
Its fast enough to run a few 3d games such as amadillo roll. ( IT seems a great game but my Archos cant run it)
And finally very stable and not to sluggish to the degree it starts to become a pain to use when a few apps are open).

Initial reviews were before HTC issued an update that fixed the lag problems.

1. Yes I would buy it again. HTC are working on an Android 2.1 implementation for it according to thier own Twitter posting before Christmas. If I were in the market and a UK operator was offering it I might be tempted by the Nexus One.

2. 8 out of 10. Android 2.1 should raise it to a 9

3. I use the multi-touch on my Hero because it's there. There are other ways of zoomin in and out. The HTC Diamond (WinMo 6.1) allowed you to double-tap areas on a web page to zoom into that area. For photos you drew a circle around the area you wanted to zoom using your finger. It worked well enough. I have to admit though multi-touch is better.

The few 3D games I have installed work just fine.

If T-Mobile don't support 2.1 when HTC release it then I'll unlock my G2/Hero and install a custom ROM. T-Mobile UK have a couple of minor modifications such as a short-cut to Web'n'Walk.

I'm glad I got the Hero.

Upvote 0
thanks yer it does seem really good just the lag issues that worried me on my archos it can be quite bad but its much better now but before the updates i got really fustrated with the thing.

As im in the UK through is the nexus one really good ive heard so much about it but i havnt head anythign about it that really stands out it the hero gets 2.1 that justifies the price

Upvote 0
1. I had wanted the phone even with the lag issues it originally had but at the time no US 3g. As soon as a US 3g version was available i bought it and I would buy it again for sure. The touch screen is amazing as is android in general.

2. Like the previous person said 8 out of 10. As soon as we get 2.1 and can use google maps with navigation easily 9 maybe 10 out of 10. Honestly this phone does everything the droid can minus 2.0 android stuff.

3. None that i can see, but i watched so many youtube videos and what not as im the type to research tons before i buy something.

Upvote 0
1. Would you buy it again given the chance now? (Any other phones i should think about more)

I probably would. The Nexus One has a nice fast processor and a much higher res. screen. Other than that, it doesn't seem to have much that my G2 (Hero) doesn't have other than 2.1 OS.

*IF* I knew for a fact that my 1.5 G2 wasn't going to get 2.x then no, I'd not buy it again. As it is, we are pretty sure we're going to get it (just not sure when) so yes, I'd buy it again right now. It was free on a

Upvote 0
Yes, definately

3. Are their any majour pros or cons that dont apply to most other phones such as multi-touch.
a) It's spelt MAJOR
b) Beautiful looks, feels nice, the operating system both android and sense feels good...

Upvote 0
Hey guys im going to get a new phone next month and now I have been introduced to android my Archos I cant get enough of android.

I have been looking at phones and the one that has caught my eye in the hero, but their are so many bad reviews and it is rated worse than the G1. I am guessing it is because of no physical keyboard but i prefer virtual anyway.

Now with most contracts 18 months I wanna choose the right phone, so is it ok if a get a little feedback from the comunity.

sorry I know this proberly eliminates most phones but I would only get it if it had...
Multi-touch (I cn see a lot of new great apps being developed in the future)
Its fast enough to run a few 3d games such as amadillo roll. ( IT seems a great game but my Archos cant run it)
And finally very stable and not to sluggish to the degree it starts to become a pain to use when a few apps are open).

1. Afraid to say i probably wouldnt buy it now that i have used the phone i do like android but no madly excited about it, the google services are outstanding and the voice search is just amazing but i do find it a bit "childish" the funny green man and all.

2. 6 out of 10

3. Pros the screen movement and working on the phone is all good, i find keyboard fine. home screen customisation is good you play for hours with it.

cons, the lack of stock applications and functionality in the basic phone, i find i need to download a lot of apps to do what most phones do from factory, maybe thats the point of android it been fully customisable but a few more decent applications as stock wouldnt go a miss.

The camera is rubbish, i understand it is improved by an app that you can buy but i think hardware isnt up to it.

Upvote 0
I've had the hero now for a few months

would get this phone again- YES
I really like this phone theres a few things i dont like which should be fixed on 2.1 Rom release.

Other phones i think the HTC nexus 1 has a better processor and flash camera. I don't have a problem with the hero not having flash but i dont really take photos.

Between hero and nexus..... I would buy the nexus if I was now just due to the 1gb processor if it was on contract and the same price.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah the back button OK for the left handers but bloody awkward for all others.

Honestly regarding the lag i think its perception really, i dont seem to have a lag problem at all, yes i guess if your running dozens of live widgets and apps and have all blue tooth wifi mobile network all buzzing away there could be an issue but normal operation in my opinion is perfectly acceptable

Upvote 0

Yes, without hesitation - there'll always be something new around the corner but i think the Hero is a well implemented phone

8/10, Android 2 may take it to 9 (for reference, I've never owned a phone that I'd give 10/10)

Pro's: Android OS, nicely implemented touch screen interface, app store, not having mortgage your soul to Apple, not being one of the iPhone sheep ;) I've never found it to be laggy and get about three days battery life.

Cons: nothing major - some default apps could be improved but they are being updated or alternatives are available (the beauty of an open OS)

Upvote 0
To be honest, while I love my hero, there is a phone rumored for march that's is a Hero 2 of sorts - it's called the HTC Legend at the moment. It's like an upgraded hero, better AMOLED screen, faster processor, optical mouse instead of a trackball, updated version of sense, LED flash on the camera - if I was looking for a new phone now, I'd wait for that one.

If you really can't wait, then the Hero is a good phone. I came from a WinMo phone (HTC Touch Pro) and Android is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of usability. Sense makes some very nice, useful additions too, which is a bonus for the Hero over other Android phones. The camera is pretty bad, and the phone can get a little laggy at times, but not so much that it frustrates me.

The Nexus One is a pretty good looking phone, so that is also another option for you. I think the Hero is the best Android phone available in the UK right now, but there are quite a few coming out supposedly within the next three months that are worth a look before you make up your mind. Buying a phone and having it bested 6 months down the line is no big deal - there will always be better and greater tech out. But you don't want to buy a phone and see the perfect upgrade 2 weeks later.

Upvote 0

I would but this phone again infact, I'm just waiting for the new batch of android phones to come out to hopefully push the price of the hero down a bit so my wife can have one too.

8/10

The pros are the total intergration with Google mail and calendar (which I already used).

A major con for me is the camera. It really is quite poor unless you are taking a image of a static object ie.not kids or pets - in good light. I have also had an issue with the phone lock (which apparently "should" be fixed with the androd update).

But overall I would recommend this phone to anyone in the market for a smartphone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones