htc hero rooting problem

Last Updated:

1. JEDENS69

JEDENS69 New Member This Topic's Starter

Tried to root my sprint htc hero,after holding the home and start button for recovery, all I get is the htc screen.
    The phone will not respond to anything. Did I ruin my phone please help anyone.

Advertisement
  2. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

We need more information than this. What exactly did you do? How far did you get in the root process? Take us through what you have done, so that we can further help you please.

3. mrobbo

mrobbo Active Member

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I am having the same problem. I am following this guide :-

[Guide] Newbie Guide to Install a Custom Rom [Updated 19/03] - xda-developers

Having completed I. Installing a recovery image, I am now onto II. Loading the custom ROM.

The steps tell me I need to download the ROM of my choice (Legendary v1.3.5), mount the phone to my PC, and copy the ROM to the sdcard renaming it update.zip.

The ROM I have downloaded contains the following folders :-

data
    META-INF
    system
    boot

Following the guide literally, I copied boot over to the sdcard having renamed it "update.zip". When attempting to start the phone up to recovery mode, it is hanging on the HTC, as the OP also reports.

What am I doing wrong? If you require further info, please let me know., Thanks very much guys.

4. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

based on other posts you have made, you have a GSM HTC Hero. can we please have a mod move this thread to the correct forum as this is forum is for the CDMA Hero.

5. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

do you have a gsm hero or sprint hero?

6. mysticmead

based on his other posts. he is in the UK and has a GSM hero... which is why I said that in my reply.. his post really needs to be moved to the GSM hero section as we won't be able to provide the help he needs.

7. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Agreed. However being that his post was actually in this post, which was started by JEDENS69, I'm not sure if a mod can take just his replies out and leave the thread. JEDENS69 might actually have a Sprint HTC Hero, but he has yet to reply.

8. mysticmead

posts can be pulled out to their own topic and moved.. vbulletin does it quiet well..

of course the OP does need to come back and give us more details if we are to help him.. he did say sprint hero in his post..

9. mrobbo

mrobbo Active Member

Apologies for confusing the thread, guys.

10. houndeye

houndeye Member

hi there im in the uk also does that mean i have gsm hero or cdma how do i know which one

11. mysticmead

the UK is GSM. Sprint (here in the US) is CDMA. Another way to tell is, the HTC Hero (GSM version) has a chin.. or the bottom part that has the microphone is angled and looks like this.
    [​IMG]

the Sprint Hero looks completely different (CDMA Hero)

[​IMG]

houndeye likes this.
  12. mysticmead

just so it's very very very clear. if you root your Hero and flash a ROM that is not made for your version of phone (GSM or CDMA) it will brick the phone. That is to say, if you have a CDMA Hero and flash a GSM Hero ROM, you will be the proud owner of a very expensive paper weight. Same goes for our Hero owner across the pond. If you flash Fresh (or any other CDMA ROM) to your your GSM Hero, you will brick the phone. Please double check (or triple check) that the ROM you are about to flash is made for your Phone. Its a very expensive lesson to learn and is easily avoided.

houndeye likes this.
  13. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member Contributor

to the original poster.. if i am not mistaken.. your getting stuck on a white screen that says htc, in green or someting.. if thats the case.. pull the battery.. and hold the end button, and home button for longer.. it will take you to the black and green screen..

14. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

Use the new Fresh Kitchen 1.0.5 for better rooting results!

330D likes this.