HTC Hero Sync with gmail contactsSupport

Last Updated:

1. soleary

soleary Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

I have my phone contacts set to Auto-sync with my gmail contacts. My question is if I happened to lose my phone and someone erased all my contacts on the phone, would my gmail contacts be erased also beacuse of the Auto-sync? If so, is there a way to safeguard against this?

Thanks
    soleary

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I think that could happen yes.

You can export all your contacts in a .csv file, via the gmail interface, as a backup though :)

3. soleary

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking as much. As good as the functionality is, the backup kind of defeats the purpose of having the seamless integration. I have backed up my contacts but would prefer if gmail had a recylce bin (or similar) to avoid losing contacts altogether (in the case that 'mass' data could be erased). I may not remember to back up the data everytime I save a new number to the phone!!

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I bet google could get it back for you if you asked nicely :)

Still, having some kind of prevention against this would still be a good idea. It's always possible it does exist and we've missed it I suppose.

5. soleary

Thanks for your reply. If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

6. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

I think you could duplicate your contacts and add them to a new group and simply choose from your phone not to sync with that group, so you don't get duplicate contacts on your phone.

I will dig for a solution, as soon as my Hero boots up from this last update :D