HTC Hero USB 3.0

Last Updated:

1. Ben:)

Ben:) New Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know if I can charge my Hero with USB 3? Figure since its higher voltage it'd either charge my phone faster or blow my battery up?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello Ben. Welcome to Android Forums. Glad you joined. :)

I moved your question to the HTC Hero forums for you where somebody with a Hero who knows about USB 3 can answer it for you.

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

It's not the voltage that's important Ben, but the amperage. A quick search suggests that the max output for a single USB 3.0 port is 900mA, significantly up from the 500mA of previous incarnations but still less than the 1A output of the mains charger. It should be safe in that case.

4. Ben:)

Ben:) New Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone willing to try it out?

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Still on v2.0 here - no need (as yet) for anything faster. I assumed from your post that your PC had USB 3.0?

6. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Dunno where you get the idea from that the voltage is higher - it's 5 volts same as it's ever been. If it was higher then maybe it'd damage your hero, but it's not, so it wont.

USB 3.0 is designed to be backwards compatible with USB 2.0 (and therefore with USB 1.0). If plugging in USB2.0 devices made them blow up i'd say that wasnt very backwards compatible, and you'd probably have heard about this somewhere by now.

7. thisnameistaken

thisnameistaken Well-Known Member

This is incorrect. A device will only draw as much current as it needs. You can safely use a supply which can provide many times the current that a device needs and it won't matter, the remaining current will not be drawn by the device.

Supplying excessive voltage is a very different matter, and usually something will burn out if a device isn't designed to handle the voltage you're giving it.

In some cases an under-supply of current can cause problems, sometimes these can be serious problems involving melting and fire, but thankfully this is not the case when charging a Hero.