HTC Hero won't boot.Support

Last Updated:

1. dvern

dvern Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Trying to boot my htc hero, but it's getting stuck on the HERO boot screen and not moving on. Stupidly, having scouted the forums I performed a factory reset which I thought may have fixed the problem. I thought wrong. Has any body else experienced this problem? I've only had the phone for about a month and a half and loved it until this point.

Cheers!

:(

Advertisement
  2. SFA_AOK

SFA_AOK Well-Known Member

Have you rooted or put any custom ROMs on it? Also, have you tried pulling the battery, leaving it out for a couple of minutes, then putting it back in?

3. dvern

No I haven't done any updates or toyed with it since I got it. It was shippied with what is the latest firmware. I've been leaving the battery out for more than a few minutes. Even leaving it on to see if it's just a mega long boot time.

It's not looking too good. Please don't make me go back to a Nokia. :(

4. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

How long have you left it to boot?

5. dvern

An hour...maybe 2.

6. pbp776

pbp776 Well-Known Member

I had this issue but during rooted process. My issue was my SDcard some how got corrupted or damage and it would take a long time. I removed my SDCard and boot was normal. If I were you, I would remove the SDCard and see if it boot up. If it does, then some program or data got corrupted that phone is look on SDcard. Not sure if this might help

7. dvern

A good idea but unfortunately it didn't work.

I think I'm going to stomp back to carphone warehouse tomorrow and see if they can't either replace it or send it back to HTC to get them to fix it - reinstall or something.

So frustrating. It's not like it's totally kaputt. Screen on, HERO logo, just no full boot.

8. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Definitely do. It sounds as if maybe the firmware got corrupted somehow or something has failed internally, but that's certainly not normal behaviour. Btw, a factory reset was exactly the right thing to try as that eliminates the possibility of user-error.... if the device won't complete the boot process after that then it's FUBAR for sure. Good luck!

9. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey Well-Known Member

Mine just did exactly the same.

Had been working perfectly for about 4 months until the battery issue re-appeared this week. Couldnt' fix it so tonight I did a factory reset, set up my accounts, restored apps using MyBackupPro ... and then restored data using MBP. That's when the problem started. It seemed to get stuck at 86% on overwriting the MP3 playlists, then it kind of crashed and showed up misc errors, inc "TouchFlow ... Force Close."

Reboot didn't seem to do the trick because it seemed to be stuck in crash mode. Then is did reboot but got stuck on the HTC screen just after Mr Android says hello.

Am trying the battery/SD card removal thing but it's not having it so far.

This phone really is becoming a PITA.

10. Spacemonkey

Left in boot mode overnight and it didn't make it - remained stuck on the HTC screen. Will be phoning HTC first thing ... I guess that means a second visit to their warranty centre. Not impressed.

11. dvern

Thanks @Slug for the reassurance, and Spacemonkey I'm feeling your pain. It sounds like a slightly different issue that we've got. I don't even get as far as Mr.Android saying hello.

As a footnot, I just wanted to say that it's such a shame when the gear let's you down. I've been so impressed with the Hero, the apps and Android in general. I've even enjoyed every iPhone user in the studio I work in taking the mickey out of my "phone with a boner" knowing that I had something way better than an iPhone. I'm staying very quiet today at work. I feel like a right twat.

12. Spacemonkey

Right, Dvern and anyone else with this issue, I'm back in the game thanks to HTC support ... so this might work for you too:

Remove SD card and SIM card and boot while holding "home" and "power"
    Screen should show three options in blue text - something like:
    - Reboot (home and power)
    - wipe SD card ...
    - factory reset ...

Press "home" and "power" to try the reboot option. You'll probably end up back at this screen, so use trackball to do the factory reset (definitely the third option). Then use trackball to do reboot. It should boot as normal and then ask you to remove battery and insert SIM. Do this and then boot as normal ... and you should have your Hero back.

PS I don't see how you can do any damage with the above, but obviously it's up to you if you try it or not. Could well save on warranty replacement, etc.

Let me know if it works.

Cheers
    SM

13. dvern

SpaceMonkey, thanks so much for the help but unfortunately no it hasn't worked.

I did however call HTC support who walked me through a few processes (very hard to understand through the thick chinese accent though.) which again didn't work. On the form I had to then print and sign the girl wrote that the unit "failed to perform a hard reset."

The result of which is HTC organising for my phone to be picked up from my work on Monday. It's in warranty, therefore so long as it's not something I've done (which I'm 100% sure it isn't. Simply turning your phone on and off shouldn't cock it up.) they should fix it up and send it back.

I'm looking forward to see how HTC perform from here on, and I'll be sure to keep you all posted, especially on what they tell me the fault was.

Rockin' the Nokia until then.

Thanks again for all your help!

14. matthogan

matthogan New Member

Hi Dvern,

Did you get this sorted? Exactly the same has happened to me just now. Only powered off/on as Mail was crashing!

Been using a Modaco Custom Rom but has been super stable.

CHeers

Matt

15. louie33

louie33 Member

hi all

in response to space monkeys problem, the same thing happened to me a couple of days ago , I've only had the phone a week! so was really disappointed when it went wrong so soon......
    I got as far as the android fella waving too , then it just kept switching on & off , on & off like it was possessed!! the start up tone was doing my head in!!!

only way could stop it was taking battery off.... It would only stay on if i took out my sim card!...
    anyway I took a kind persons advice (jaffa from the forum) and reset the phone & so far, so good... that was 2 days ago...hope i havent spoken too soon now

16. dvern

Here's how I got it fixed...HTC sent a courier to pick up my phone. I filled out the paperwork. It was in warranty though I didn't have a receipt. Despite asking for it, it wasn't a problem. They sent regular emails saying it'd been fixed, dispatched etc. I got it back 3 days later, no charge. The only mention of the problem was in the paperwork...boot stage failed test so they reinstalled the os. Lost all my contacts is all. Mildly annoyed but have to hand it to htc. Frickin great service. I know this is no consolation but at least it got sorted in the end.

17. lopezpm

lopezpm Well-Known Member

Pretty impressed with HTC's service.

18. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Note to self, always back up phone

19. dvern

Damn right. I'll be backing up regularly now. Once bitten etc.

20. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier New Member

I have a similar problem. I clicked the messages widget on my phone, and my phone froze, then reset itself. My phone does this occasionally, so I thought nothing of it.
    Now whenever it boots, it starts normally, and gets to the bit where "HTC" is on the screen.
    It finishes that, but rather than loading up it goes back to the part where "Orange" comes up. It repeats this proccess and never fully boots.
    My phone was also saying it was running low on memory last time, could this be a problem?
    I tried holding "Home" and the On button like Spacemonkey suggested but now there is just a triangle with an explanation mark with a phone next to it. (Like a warning sign).
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Can someone please help?
    EDIT: I figured out how to do what SuperMonkey said, but the first option didn't work, trying the 3rd now.
    Will I lose all my apps?

21. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier New Member

It wont let me select. It says to press the trackball, but nothing happens. The only reason I could do the first option is because it said click "Home & Back".
    The third option says Alt+W. What does this mean?
    Will my local Orange be able to reinstall the OS. Will they charge?
    Please help :(

22. Driton

Driton New Member

I have a problem with my HTC Hero. It doesn't boot up. I purchased it on T-mobile and its T-mobile G2-touch.
    -It was working slowly and i turned it off. When i turned it back on the phone doesn't boot at all. it stayed with the logo on the screen for hours until the battery discharged. I recharged the phone and tried lots of times to turn it on, by removing the battery and turning it on again but nothing happens.
    - i tried with turn on button and sound down, 3 options come : HBOOT (it goes fast with all lines green); FastBoot Mode and Simlock. Nothing happens.
    -I had the same issue when i bought the phone on january, i sent it to the service, they fixed it with factory reset and said to me that the issue was LOTS OF VIRUSES. I DONT BELIEVE THAT'S THE ISSUE. I HAVENT USED IT THAT MUCH FOR INTERNET AND I HAVE ONLY DOWNLOADED MAXIMUM 10 APPS FROM THE ANDROID MARKET. I DONT WANT TO LOOSE ALL THE DATA AGAIN(CONTACTS, MESSAGES ADN SAVED INFORMATION).

aNY IDEA HOW TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM ON MYSELF OR I HAVE TO TAKE IT TO THE SERVICE AGAIN?

23. player123

player123 New Member

i have a problem i rested my htc hero for and now it wont let me go back to home page it telles me something like activate and select language ? i need help =/

24. emccarthy47

emccarthy47 New Member

I had the same problem so I took out my micro sd card and backed up all my files from my card to a folder on my computer and then I downloaded a file from the internet at this page xda-developers - View Single Post - Wrong SPL zip file. Now what? [SOLVED] to my computer then I formatted my microsd card, then unzipped this file to the microsd card and then put the microsd card back into my phone. My phone didn't work at first so what I had to do was to take out the battery, then connect the phone to the computer, then put battery back in (and did reboot (hold home plus back key) then phone did fastboot off the microsd card. Ta da, it worked. Let me know if you have a problem with this. HTC was staying on for more than a few seconds so I know I had done something!!!

25. 251444

251444 New Member

samething happened to me but my hero its stuck in the htc starting (white page with green HTC icon),
    when i connected to my computer it says "fastboot usb"
    i dont know what to do , is there any solutions for me???
    also i have unable the USB DEBBUGING , AND I HAVE ALREADY INSTALLED ROM MANAGER into my phone.