• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Hero won't tether anymore - please help!!

James2000

Lurker
Oct 14, 2010
HTC Orange Update Issue

Was previously able to used wired USB tethering with both Vista and XP prior to updating phone Firmware to 2.1 Update 1, and now it refuses to connect!! - Have contacted HTC, but no help - anyone know of how to fix this.. VERY frustrating!!

Tried updating to latest HTC Sync as well, but still doesn't work..

When you say refusing to connect do you mean connect at all or just for tethering? Tethering is started differently with Android 2.1 to the way it was in 1.5, and it is now much easier. You should get an option to do it when you connect to your PC.

When you plug the USB cable from your PC in do you get 4 options (charge only, HTC Sync, Disc drive and internet sharing)? The latter option is tethering.

If not from home try settings > connect to PC and tick the ask me box.

Upvote 0
:mad: Can't believe it! had only one reply, useless suggestion from HTC, yet an identical posting went up a few days later and had 969 Views, and 11 replies - maybe I'm not in the 'club'.. anyway I read the answers to his posting and factory reset sorted my issue, not that anyone will read this. Forum def didn't help me.. thanks for nothing!

Upvote 0
Nothing to do with being in the club I am afraid, just the luck of the draw. I have had several queries remain unanswered (at least you got one reply) but have not blamed it on "them". I have just asked the question again, or did some research. This is one of the friendliest techie type forums I have come across.

And with these types of forums you tend to get what you are willing to put in. If you had replied to my post even to say thanks (which you have still not done) but it has not worked then that would have bumped it back on to the radar. You can't just sit and wait for others to drop everything to sort your problem out and get angry if they don't - you need to help yourself.

Anyway I am glad you have sorted it out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones