HTC Incredible as Home Internet ReplacementGeneral

Last Updated:

1. vmiboxman

vmiboxman New Member This Topic's Starter

My current phone is an LG ENV2 (text and voice only). My home internet is through Clearwire, but the signal strength is never that great, so the connection speed isn't that fast. My ENV2 has 4 bars sitting at my desk, so the VZW 3G signal at home is solid.

Here's my question:

I've been eyeing a new phone for a while. I kinda wanted to wait for the iPhone (mainly for the music syncing ability, and the fact that I have a MobileMe subscription), but in order to tether an iPhone, you have to pay the extra $$ each month unless you jailbreak it (which I don't want to do). Plus I stopped by Best Buy today and looked at the Incredible. I was quite impressed.

So I've been thinking about getting an Incredible and using the PDAnet or EasyTether apps as a home internet replacement. Would this be too much wear & tear on the phone? Mostly I web browse (Facebook, email, Google, etc.) and watch YouTube, but every now and then I'll download music or something else that's a little bit bigger.

Do you think using the mobile hotspot feature (or one of the tethering apps) would be an adequate replacement for my home internet?

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Nope. I use it as my home internet as well, and I browse the web, play games (EVE, FFXIV, etc), and stream Hulu. I use about 10-15GB/month of data, and have never had an issue.

Keep in mind, though, that ANY form of tethering (paid app or free) without paying VZW for tethering is against their ToS and could result in termination of your service, additional fees, etc...

JohnKuczek likes this.