HTC Incredible Bluetooth Issues with Ford SyncSupport

Last Updated:

1. tempspace

tempspace New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Ford sync and I am having issues getting my HTC Incredible hooked up so the bluetooth works in my 2009 Ford Escape. The problem is the phone constantly disconnects almost immediately. I've done some research and it appears that the Incredible is having issues downloading the phonebook.

Is anybody else having issues with getting their phone books downloaded into either a Ford Sync or whatever car they have that utilizes Bluetooth phonebook downloading?

This is my thread from the Ford Sync forums:
    I too picked up the Incredible and I am not able to connect it to my Ford Sync successfuly.

I spent a long time debugging, factory resetting, and I believe I have narrowed down the issue.

The issue, for me, appears to be phonebook downloading. With the automatic phonebook downloading turned on, the Bluetooth Headset disconnects almost immediately. When I connected the phone after a factory reset and before I added any contacts in, I was able to pair and use the 'dial' functionality repeatedly without getting disconnected. I then added my contacts, started it up, and it started disconnecting immediately. I turned the auto download phonebook functionality off on the Sync, restarted the phone, and I was able to use the dial functionality again. It seems like the Incredible is disconnecting the phone when it wants to read in the address book.

I did a google search and found a program called SyncMyPhone that Ford supposedly made that will download your phonebook onto a USB drive. I have yet to find it and try it out in an attempt to band-aid the situation.

Advertisement
    lah likes this.
  2. Kyreba

Kyreba Active Member

Mine is working fine with the Sync in for 2010 Escape. However I have NOT loaded the phonebook. I didn't have anything in it when I first connected it last week so I skipped it when it asked to sync that.

Now my contacts are all updated so getting it loaded is on my list for this week. I'll check back with you once I try.

I'm glad I saw this though so in case I run into problems I won't think it's just me.

3. Kappy

Kappy Well-Known Member

Problem is you drive a ford... :( sorry had to haha

4. captainqtp

captainqtp New Member

Ford rocks. Every car they build nowadays is super high quality. Microsoft makes sync though, and there lies the problem. I am also having issues with sync. There is no usb port in my car though, so I can't do anything that way. I have a standard Ford Fusion.

5. moptart

moptart Member

I had the same problem with my 2010 Ford Fusion and I had paired numerous times, but the connection always failed during the download of the phone book. So before opening a bluetooth earpiece I had just purchased, I decided to give it one more try.

This time it paired, I made the Incredible the primary phone, and then I said "no" to downloading the phone book. Finally, it stayed connected-- and when I went to make a phone call, my phone book was there! Truly a miracle.

6. thepro8

thepro8 Active Member

it's on the syncmyride.com page...its a windows program you download.

7. ejreiss11

ejreiss11 Active Member

i have a flex no problem with anything at all, have a friend with fusion and she has problems, check for sync updates

8. line6ix

line6ix Active Member

Exactly what I wanted to say when i read this thread title...well played!

I hope its not a Ford Flex, I vomit every time i see one of those THINGS.

9. JustDroid

JustDroid Well-Known Member

I too have a 2010 Ford Escape and it pairs every time with my Incredible. And it downloaded the address book with no problems at all.

I wonder if maybe you have one contact that isn't formatted correctly or something that is causing the download to fail.

10. Mystakilla

Mystakilla Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with the uConnect in a Jeep Patriot, the problem isnt Sync or uConnect, its HTC's problem, the uConnect in the jeep worked wonderfully with a blackberry storm and now that other people are having the same issue in ford's, sorry but finger is pointing towards HTC to fix this.

11. Azelis

Azelis Well-Known Member

There's an issue with pretty much any phone running SenseUI in that it's using an outdated Bluetooth stack that doesn't support SPP. Currently they only work with raw audio and not much else. I'm hoping they fix this quickly because when I moved from a G1 to an Incredible my Bluetooth keyboard won't connect and I was about to buy a Bluetooth gamepad for it too.

12. ddevito35

ddevito35 New Member

Ford Rocks! No stuck gas pedals....

I have a 2010 F150 and I was able to pair and connect my HTC Incredible without a problem. After about 1 month, it would not connect. The phone says it is paired but it will not connect with Sync.

13. nanathegeek

nanathegeek Member

I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. No problems at all with syncing the phones and corresponding phonebooks for 3 phones, including my Incredible.

14. cdefranks

cdefranks New Member

I have a Mercury Milan with FORD SYNC and just got the Incredible. The phone did sync with the car with no issues, but my contacts never would. I was able to send a call thru SYNC and receive calls by using the phone numbers. "Call 123-1234"...

I finally found someone at the FORD SYNC site that showed me where the "SYNC MY PHONE" was located on their website.

1'st you must logon to WWW.SYNCMYRIDE.COM ...
    2'nd at the upper left corner of the page is "SYNC powered by Microsoft" logo - click on that to find the software!!!
    3'd down towards the bottom under SYNC TOOLS you will find the software labeldd "SYNC My Phone (for Windows)"

You install this on your PC and then it copies information to a USB drive. The USB has software that will install on to your car. There are detailed instructions on how to do this. And it actually works..

Once I followed the instructions - I watched as the car copied over the contacts.

I hope this helps others that have a FORD and a DROID..:)

lah likes this.
  15. MohamadDroid

MohamadDroid New Member

I have a 2008 ford focus. Sync no longer is able to read text messages for me!

Sync worked like a charm with my old Sony Ericsson.

I tried so many settings to get Sync to read text messages for me, but all I got was "this feature is not supported"

All other features work fine.

16. hgoldner

hgoldner Well-Known Member

1. The FAQ indicates that Sync can only handle 2000 contacts, so if you have more than that, expect problems.

2. The overwhelming majority of forum posts on the SyncmyRide site suggest that the user should NOT permit Sync to automatically download the phonebook during the initial pairing process. That can be done later manually, or via external software to a USB drive.

Having reviewed the posts over there (but not having tried it myself), it looks like a solution to my suffering the same issues between my Dinc and my 2010 Fusion will be to remove the phone from Sync and start over without downloading the phonebook.

17. hgoldner

hgoldner Well-Known Member

Following up on my own post, for the benefit of other users facing this issue, removing the device from Sync and repairing it *without* uploading the phone book did solve the disconnect problem. Since I have more than 2000 contacts, I do not intend to upload the phone directory at all.

18. emsr18

emsr18 New Member

I am so glad I found this thread. I recently bought the Ford Fiesta. When the Ford guy was trying to teach me how to use sync, it kept freezing while trying to load up my contacts. Then, every time I tried to make a call, it would disconnect. We gave up and I figured I'd figure it out later on. It started working on it's own one day, but would disconnect always about 2 min into a call.

I'm so glad to know it's not just me/my phone. I'll try re-syncing w/o the address book. Thanks!

19. lah

lah New Member

I have a 2010 Ford Edge and an HTC Incredible. I have had this car for 1 year and my HTC was connected and normally worked. It would sometimes disconnect, but always reconnected. About 3 weeks ago, something happened with my contacts on the HTC. They multiplied by 20 each. Since that happened, the phone either will not connect to Sync or connects and then disconnects within a minute or two. How frustrating...makes it unusable! I appreciate the forum, as I removed my phone from sync and then pair it back up without the phone book. I think that is going to keep it from the constant disconnecting. So far so good! As for my contacts, I had to delete the multiples one by one on the the phone. (My gmail contacts were not duplicated.) I did go to my Ford dealer who uploaded new software to my sync that is suppose to help with the Sync problem.

By the Way...Absolutely LOVE the Ford Edge!! I am now getting one for my daughter.

Thanks for the help through this forum! Really appreciate it!

20. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

glad the forum helped you, stop back anytime.

21. glenbo81

glenbo81 New Member

I have a Ford EDGE and have the same problem sync-ing with my HTC Incredible. Will try and reset w/o the address book.

Also, Ford's handsfree voice recognition is terrible! I have to look up the phone number manually in anyevent as I can't rely on the voice recognition at all!

22. lagcon

lagcon New Member

I deleted the phone from sync
    Re-paired it without the phone book
    Downloaded the import phone book program from syncmyride.com
    Followed instructions to import. Csv file from outlook to USB
    Loaded it into sync from the USB drive
    All works well
    I think sync gets confused with too many contacts in the phone to import or the format

23. lmtorres

lmtorres New Member

I had the same problem...the approach that worked for me was one I read in a Ford forum, although I can't remember which one.

1. pair the phone with Sync
    2. turn off "download phonebook automatically"
    3. turn on FTP Server (check box) under Bluetooth Settings"

Once I did this the phonebook was able to download (which was what kept disconnecting my phone earlier. And I haven't had any problems since.

LMT