HTC Incredible inside Gym's Sauna?General

Last Updated:

1. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My girlfriend takes her Incredible into gym's sauna for 15 mins. Is she slowly damaging phone?

She says she is not the only one with people with electronic device inside sauna. (She has seen people with their iPhones and IPods)

Any effects? (I'm sure there is)

Advertisement
  2. dan h

dan h Well-Known Member

I would think it's not the best decision to take your phone into an area that has extreme heat and moisture. Might be one of those things that don't show immediate side effects but over time it will play a role in damaging the phone. But it's just a speculation on my part....

VGPOP likes this.
  3. mac35

mac35 Well-Known Member

The heat shouldnt be a problem, the devices internals get really hot all the time. The moisture could be a serious concern though. I know I wouldn't do that.

VGPOP likes this.
  4. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

The heat isn't that big of a deal but the moisture IS. The steam will slowly but surely begin to effect the chipsets. And the damage is not repairable.

Tell your GF that she really needs to either leave her phone in her locker or get a waterproof sleeve for it while she's in there. Even a ziplock bag would work.

No offense to your GF, but "I see other people do it" is one of the most ridiculous things people say. I am going to have to channel my father with my reply and say "if all your friends were jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?"

VGPOP likes this.
  5. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

The only way we can help you is for to have her take pictures inside the sauna and then we can study them. The direct effects of heat and moisture will bear evidence within the pictures. Then we can come to an educated resolution on this matter.

mrsean, Divine_Madcat, shred1 and 2 others like this.
  6. ThreeFingersDown

ThreeFingersDown Well-Known Member

Yeah man its definitely not a good idea. i used to be a chef, and hot kitchens would destroy phones. The problem is moisture gets into EVERYTHING then dries and leaves residue. Rinse and repeat this a dozen times and you might as well throw the phone in the toilet.

VGPOP likes this.
  7. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

As everyone has pointed out, it isn't so much the heat as it is the moisture that's seeping in. Not good for the internals, and I would definitely suggest you do not bring your phone in to a sauna.

VGPOP likes this.
  8. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

Its not just over time either.... by chance a bit of moister hits the right circuit the whole phone can brick instantly....

VGPOP likes this.
  9. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

women. :rolleyes:

(steven58 is gonna be 52. he's allowed to roll his eyes and say "women" just the way he says "kids")

vzwuser76, VGPOP and waynester like this.
  10. Railz

Railz Well-Known Member

She sees people with iPhones and iPods doing it eh? Now we now the type of people who buy those iToys :x

VGPOP likes this.
  11. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

I'm going to forgive you for that.

This time :p

Steven58 likes this.
  12. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

word up , daddy-o

* I saw the Beatles and The King on ed sullivan
    ** as in.. saw them live , not reruns

13. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Yes. The heat will loosen up the seams, letting moisture on. If she keeps doing it she WILL wreck the phone. There is both the possibility for gradual damage ( moisture+ electronics= bad things), And catastrophic damage (a seem blows letting A LOT of steam in destroying the screen)

VGPOP likes this.
  14. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

that sounds crazy to me. I won't even leave my devices in the bathroom when I shower!

VGPOP likes this.
  15. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

My sis-in-law bricked her phone by charging it in the bathroom while she was showering.

VGPOP likes this.
  16. waynester

Yep , your gonna have to bite the bullet on this one.
    TELL her to stop.:eek: Yes we understand there will be consequences. But your saving a Dinc's life.
    At least tell her to practice "safe Dinc" bag it or wrap it.

VGPOP likes this.
  17. 5150Marley

5150Marley Well-Known Member

Pics are a must..... :D

Outatime and VGPOP like this.
  18. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

Check the moisture sensors. I left my Omnia on the bathroom counter and took a shower .... I know I know Big DUH... The room steamed up and my Omnia was fine. I still don't have issues but both moisture sensors on the phone are activated. I couldn't exchange it for issues if I wanted to (unless you have asurion or comparable insurance). I have a Dinc now and I make sure to leave it anywhere but the bathroom (the kids use the Omnia as an Ipod and stream Pandora via Wifi). I wouldn't worry about the moisture damaging the phone but if you want to exchange it or return for manufacture warranty work, check those sensors.

VGPOP likes this.
  19. waynester

+1 very good point, and one that could save this young man:p

20. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I take all my phones in to the sauna. No issues, its definitely not good for the phone but I want to listen to music so whatever. I also always have my phone cased when at the gym

sent from tapatalk using my BA Droid Incredible

VGPOP likes this.
  21. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

I seem to remember you 've been married 30 of those years, so that means you can only say "women" when she allows you to say "women".

VGPOP likes this.
  22. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone for the input. Really good info.

23. Clittzen

Clittzen Well-Known Member

I would definitely tell her not to do that... I live in Arizona and the heat alone is bad enough for my phones. I have read manuals on phones before and there was a temperature point for them that is considered damaging. Call me crazy but I think it was 105F.

Moisture, definitely would tell her to stay away. She can get a protective casing (waterproof) for it im sure just like they have for cameras or what not at BB or even Walmart.

But most definitely she is slowly destroying her phone.

24. waynester

I think it would be very wise to push the moisture sensor part, I have been in vzw store waiting in tech line for Dare update I believe, and the guy at counter had his phone in for repair.
    The tech took off the bat cover , guess he saw the activated sensor and handed the phone back to the guy, all I could hear was" moisture " and "can't even look at it".
    Now a sauna should be dry heat, but I've seen many that look more like steam rooms.

25. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

If she absolutely has to bring her DInc into a sauna because she is a phone addict and can't be separated from her tech candy, I would suggest putting it in a bag of rice right after wards to absorb moisture. Easier to just leave it in the gym locker.
    And what kind of gym allows her to do that anyways?:confused: My gym prohibits phones in the sauna and steam room...to cut down on noise and people snapping pics/video.