• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help .: HTC Incredible :. Known Issues / Bug Reports / Hardware Issues

Playing flash videos causes browser/data connection to stop. Have to manually kill the browser. Opening a new window browser still stays frozen.

/edit not a force close...just data connection stops and cant navigate to new page.

Yep, the wonders of Flash ;) I have never had a video lock my device up on my N900 and have tried many- and some I wish I never tried.... :eek::eek:;)

Games are what lock my N900 up, but has only happened two times out of hundreds of game tests. N900 uses full Flash 9.4, so could be a Flash 10 issue?

Upvote 0
Yep, the wonders of Flash ;) I have never had a video lock my device up on my N900 and have tried many- and some I wish I never tried.... :eek::eek:;)

Games are what lock my N900 up, but has only happened two times out of hundreds of game tests. N900 uses full Flash 9.4, so could be a Flash 10 issue?

flash lite issue, flash 10.x wont be out for android for a while lol

Upvote 0
I agree. If they show for Droid, they should show for Dinc. Both higher res displays. I think if things are missing, it counts as a bug.

It still isn't out yet though. Plus, the droid has a different resolution and aspect ratio so you don't want something to look stretched and blurry. Anything for the N1 and other 800x480 screens should be for the Inc though.

Upvote 0
Having headphones plugged in and having speaker output selected. If you terminate fm radio with headphones plugged in and screen off by removing the headphones...the program terminates but radio doesnt shut off and sound still comes from speaker. Have to restart phone to have it shutoff...doesnt show up in advanced task killer...i will test to see if shows as a running process that can be killed when i get home later.

Upvote 0
flash lite issue, flash 10.x wont be out for android for a while lol

Flash Lite 4 is Flash 10.1, but the low app running, non GPU supported, mobile version. If you go to Flash.com, you will see the Flash version shows up as 10.1 :)

Still, videos should NOT lock the phone up- at least it has not for me on my N900 (Full Flash 9) or Archos 5 (Flash Lite 3.1). My Archos 5 has a 3430 in it (like N900 and Droid) and plays video pretty darn good- even embedded video.

Flash Lite 4 should perform really well on Snap, so must be a bug to lock stuff up.

Update:

Nope, probably a resource issue due to no GPU support. Your device did not LOCK up, as I poorly read. Just app failure. Seems like Android may have a hard time with Flash Lite 4 and there may be a conflict for resources. Just guessing, since not an issue for me using Flash Lite with Archos 5 for almost 18 months. Opera browser is what Archos uses (pre Android).

Upvote 0
It still isn't out yet though. Plus, the droid has a different resolution and aspect ratio so you don't want something to look stretched and blurry. Anything for the N1 and other 800x480 screens should be for the Inc though.

Droid has a slightly higher res screen than Inc. You may be referring to Eris, but my point is if shows up for Moto Droid, should for Inc as well :)

Upvote 0
I've read on a number of reviews that there's a problem with the phones reception,some reporting it 2 bars lower than the droid and other verizon phones from the same spot. Anyone in a marginal area of coverage have a report?? I so want this phone,but I need good reception before I'll commit to it.my LG dare works fine here.

Upvote 0
I've read on a number of reviews that there's a problem with the phones reception,some reporting it 2 bars lower than the droid and other verizon phones from the same spot. Anyone in a marginal area of coverage have a report?? I so want this phone,but I need good reception before I'll commit to it.my LG dare works fine here.

Ignore the bars - they are mostly meaningless. Focus on actual reception versus another phone. At minimum, ancedotal reports on performance in known difficult areas in comparison with other "known" phones will be helpful to those who are specifically interested in radio performance.

I can go into a "field test" mode on my Motorola phones, and pull up a debug screen on my WM phones. Both let me see the actual received signal strength (RSSI) along with the SID, radio band, and channel among other things. I Googled and found system calls for seeing the RSSI, but I didn't see any apps. Is there a built-in function to see this information on Android or the stock phone app?

Upvote 0

This appears to be the main issue to confirm. I will test Moto Droid and Inc and see which is best. Need to test in weaker areas to get true result.

Upvote 0
No Mo' Nexus One 3G Fixes from Google Says Nexus One Forum - WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS

This article explains that there may be some issue with the 3G radio of the Nexus One, but also suggests the same 3G issue may be present on the Incredible, as well.

I've got the same opinion as gajenn108, if I'm going to have reception issues with the specific Verizon phone, I might as well stick with overall reception issues on AT&T until a newer device comes out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
New Device Desirable, Old Device Undesirable | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Upvote 0
No Mo' Nexus One 3G Fixes from Google Says Nexus One Forum - WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS

This article explains that there may be some issue with the 3G radio of the Nexus One, but also suggests the same 3G issue may be present on the Incredible, as well.

I've got the same opinion as gajenn108, if I'm going to have reception issues with the specific Verizon phone, I might as well stick with overall reception issues on AT&T until a newer device comes out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
New Device Desirable, Old Device Undesirable | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

That website isn't credible to me..simple layout and blatant typos in the article??

Some bloggers suggest that the problem is with the HTC, because the HTC Droid Incredibleth3 Nexus One is able to get 3G coverage while the other spouse can't get reception with a Nexus One.
The Nexus One has veen profitable for Google.The Nexus One received a high-powered update with new features
has similar uses with 3G. Forum members claim to see a drop in reception when they hold their hand over the trackball. In places where couples have two T-Mobile phones, the one without

Also..none of the reviews have mentioned 3G signal/problems..not Engadget, Slashgear, Boygenius, etc...

And since the phone isn't out yet....who are these bloggers??? Similar issues? The phone isn't even out yet...fail/10 for me

Upvote 0
figgy- verizon or htc sent out a bunch of phones to magazine and web blog people so they could begin writing reviews..any new release of pretty much any product is handled this way..so the reviews from most are on what they have experianced in the few days they've had the actual phones,prerelease..
and some have mentioned a reception problem,which really sux considering how high tech everything else is on the phone..a great internal antenna couldn't cost more than a few cents...

Upvote 0
That website isn't credible to me..simple layout and blatant typos in the article??

Some bloggers suggest that the problem is with the HTC, because the HTC Droid Incredibleth3 Nexus One is able to get 3G coverage while the other spouse can't get reception with a Nexus One.
The Nexus One has veen profitable for Google.The Nexus One received a high-powered update with new features
has similar uses with 3G. Forum members claim to see a drop in reception when they hold their hand over the trackball. In places where couples have two T-Mobile phones, the one without

Also..none of the reviews have mentioned 3G signal/problems..not Engadget, Slashgear, Boygenius, etc...

And since the phone isn't out yet....who are these bloggers??? Similar issues? The phone isn't even out yet...fail/10 for me
Erm, also, it's a completely different radio chip on the Incredible which uses Verizon's CDMA 1xRTT and EVDO bands, as opposed to the Nexus One's GSM/HSPA on T-Mobile and AT&T. The CDMA Nexus One has yet to even be seen. Also, I have seen it mentioned that the internal layout of the Incredible is different as its not top heavy like the N1 has been said to be. I have no idea if the radio is in a different position but it wouldn't surprise me. I did, however, read a review where they said the Inc had a poor signal, likely due to not programming the phone. Another review said it had great coverage, even 3G in the subway(metro). I'm sure a very small fraction of a percentage of phones will end up with a bad radio, but I'm sure this is really a non-issue.

Upvote 0

-
actually engadget did mention a fluctuating 3G / edge signal on the Incredible when they were discussing the nexus one's issues and how google just announced they were not devoting anymore engineering resources to the fluctuating 3G issue - there's a 71 page thread on the 3G issue on google support forums, and somewhere before the announcement (p 68) google indicated it was a radio and / or antenna issue - iirc, engadget actually wondered if the issue was going to be a common problem across all four models ie; the HTC Incredible, Desire and the Evo 4 as they're all the same basic platform as the nexus one, with obvious memory & camera differences

Upvote 0
Updated.

I am really concerned about the possible fluctuating 3G coverage and the battery life right now. I don't really want to list the battery as being a hardware issue as it hasn't been reported to be as terrible as say the Treo 800w (less than 8hr even with light use), but it isn't reported to be great either.

If the battery life is significantly worse than a rooted Motorola DROID, that could be a deal breaker for me...

Upvote 0
It seems to me that "known issues, bug reports, and hardware issues" are all used pretty loosely here.

You have to keep in mind that the phone hasn't even been officially released yet, so there is a fairly small group of people who have the phone with limited ability to test and confirm/debunk reported issues.

I don't see the harm in having a place for people who got the phone early to have a central place to look for reported issues/bugs/etc and possibly find fixes for them. I find it especially useful as someone considering picking up an Incredible on the 29th. Some of the information here has prompted me to consider waiting another week or two after release to see exactly what issues turn out to be real and which ones are just flukes.

But I do see the possible concern with syntax, so I requested the thread title be changed to "[...] Reported Issues [...]"

Upvote 0
there seems to be a issue with the LED notification, can anyone confirm this?

---
Ok, I think I got this mail LED figured out, but anyone else with an Incredible and double check on theirs.

When the phones checks for new email and downloads it, the LED light will flash for 5 minutes and then turn off. Then at the next interval when the phone checks again (5min, 10min, 15min etc) it will blink the LED again for 5 minutes.

So for example....
Say you have the phone set to check your email every 30 minutes.
At 8:00am it checks the email and downloads a message.
The LED will flash for 5 minutes from 8:00-8:05am and then turn off.
At 8:30am it will check again for email.
The LED will flash again for 5 minutes from 8:30-8:35am because you still have unread mail.
This LED cycle will continue until you go into the mail program and read the message.

This also would apply to any amount of time you have it set to check.
I've had mine set to check for email every hour. That is why I would never see the LED flash, because it would only turn on for 5 minutes every hour to notify there is unread email.

I'm not sure why they have it setup this way.
I would prefer the LED to flash non-stop until I go into the program and read the email. Not just for 5 minutes.

---------------------

For my work IMAP (push) email, the LED does the same thing as with POP, but it appears the push is not working, and it will only poll the account.

------------------------

For GMail the push does seem to work OK as emails show up right away. The LED will flash for 5 minutes and turn off.

------------------------

For incoming SMS/MMS messages, the LED will only flash for 5 minutes and turn off.

----------------------

taken from here
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - Official HTC Droid Incredible Pre-Realease Thread

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones