HTC Incredible Screen in LightGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Joe294

Joe294 Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. hakr100

hakr100 Well-Known Member

It sucks is putting it mildly. It is useless.
    Doesn't have to be that way. I have a GPS plotter on my boat that is perfectly visible in direct sunlight.

3. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Did you try turning the brightness all the way up? Mine is kinda shitty in direct sunlight but if the brightness is all the way up its still usable.

4. nyngbld

nyngbld Well-Known Member

even with brightness way up, i cant get much out of it either. if anything all i see are the little dots in the actual screen itself under the glass; not any images...

5. kjarrett

kjarrett Well-Known Member

So what's the solution here? Shade the screen with your hand? Use the phone upside down? Voice dialing? I can imagine some emergency situations where the inability to make a call would be a serious problem...

6. nyngbld

nyngbld Well-Known Member

i would say you about summed it up! short of a vizor to rig up on the handset... :cool:

7. k.electron

k.electron Well-Known Member

frankly, i can see the caller screen in direct sunlight. sure its like super dim.. but i can make a call..

amoled screen reproduce colors gorgeously but they cant compete with the sun. i'll take the pretty colors though.

8. hakr100

hakr100 Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a screen I can easily read outdoors. It is do-able. Spend more in developing important bits of hardware, like the screen, and less on snappy features whose utility is pretty limited.

9. thejoker

thejoker Active Member

Maybe the sun here is different or something but I can see the screen just fine even in direct sun.. Sure it's harder to see than indoors, but it's not that bad. I have automatic brightness adjustment enabled.

10. Ovy

Ovy Well-Known Member

this is a flaw inherent to the AMOLED screen. there's nothing to be done. Samsung will be premiering a Super AMOLED screen this summer on a new phone of there's, however, that has the same clarity as the current AMOLED screens, and can be seen quite plainly in the sun.

jtcarnes likes this.
  11. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

It's been done it's called super amoled (i.e. Galaxy S). What I don't get is that this was a KNOWN issue with amoled, it's not like anyone was suprised with this bit of info. Here's a pro-tip turn your back to the sun, this creates what I like to call "shade" and proceed with using the phone that way....

uncleto likes this.
  12. upther

upther Well-Known Member

I find it to be usable in the sun. It's not great and I couldn't watch videos, but I can read and send texts and see who's calling me and that's all the matters. Plus, it's 150000000% better than the screen on my old LG Vu.

13. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

+1 :)

TheGoatLantern likes this.
  14. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Its not the phone thats at fault, its AMOLED technology. It will produce very vibrant colors in dim lit areas, however can't in very bright ones. Obviously, you can downgrade to a TFT screen, which is what some of the older (and newer: Evo) devices use, that DON'T produce as vibrant/realistic colors in your typically indoor environments. The trade off would be better outdoor visibility. There is also super AMOLED, which, again is supposedly better outdoors in bright areas, but not as good indoors.

jmar likes this.
  15. 1967ls2

1967ls2 Well-Known Member

Turn the brightness up. I can see mine fine then.

16. TrumpetMan

TrumpetMan Well-Known Member

What, mine is crisp and clear even in the brightest daylight:eek: NOT! I can't see a damn thing in daylight.

17. kmoore11

kmoore11 Well-Known Member

Mine used to be terrible but I just installed the steinheil anti fingerprint and it reduces the glare in sunlight too. Makes it somewhat useable

18. Jeep297

Jeep297 Well-Known Member

I can see mine fine in direct sunlight with the brightness turned up. Not sure if the technology is different but it looked identical to my friend's moto droid and my brother's Eris in the sun. Maybe I just have better eyesight than others but I don't see the issue.

19. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

When my brightness is down it's hard as hell to see.

When all the way up I can see just fine. Not as well as indoors nor as pretty, but I can still get tasks done.

Maybe it depends on where you live.

20. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

I live 3 miles from the surface of the sun (Phoenix) and with the brightness all the way up the screen is viewable, not to the same extent as indoors but still very workable for me

secretLOVER likes this.
  21. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

I agree with what some have said - with the brightness turned all the way up, I can use it in the sun without much issue. Is it ideal? No, but that's a fair trade-off for what it delivers 95+% of the time.

22. Lefort1

Lefort1 Well-Known Member

x2

23. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

guys its not that bad... just shade it some... id rather have direct sun problems and a better screen than a TFT that i can see in the sun... im never in direct sunlight much

24. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

I can see mine just fine in direct sunlight

Probably has to do with the `clear protector` brand on the screen though? It's just what it says, a clear protector. I'm not about to take the protection off just to test it in the sun though :)

25. ShortBusHEMI

ShortBusHEMI Well-Known Member

i live in florida... and have NO problems seeing mine in the sun. not even out in the boat, actually i was using the GPS on the boat to follow the river... screen is very viewable... not any harder than any other LCD screen i've used outside...