• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC incredible upgrades?

Ncage1974

Mar 22, 2010
Guys don't have a android set yet but i have one on order through amazon. Got a general question for you all. From reading the one thing i don't like about android is the fragmentation (or whatever other people call it). With a more controlled environment like the iphone you generally get an OS upgrade but its not guaranteed every feature will work because of hardware requirements. Of course thats not the case with android handsets. Maybe you get 1 upgrade if your lucky. That what i was kind of bumbed about google dropping the nexus one for verizon. It would have been great because os upgrade wouldn't be under HTC / Verizon's control.

I digress, my real question here is to ask if you can get early os upgrade and continue to get upgrades if you root your phone? I understanding you would probably loose sense when you do it. Is it easy to switch back and forth between a rooted phone and stock?

thanks,
Ncage

Umm, 1 upgrade if youre lucky? Really? I could have sworn the Droid is about to go through its second update just fine. Fragmentation is due to OEMs wanting to put their own flavor into the OS and then unable to keep up with the speed at which Android is evolving as an OS. It will happen as Android is still growing, however Google has continued to address this issue and is trying various ways to attack fragmentation. One of these is having core updates through the market. I wouldn't worry too much about it, honestly. Apple doesn't have this problem because its "their way or the highway." So take your pick.

To answer your question, yes you can get updates early and continue to get updates. However, keep in mind that the following updates will not be official OTAs, but rather rooted updates from the dev that made whatever ROM you flashed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply woop. Ya i meant to say 2 upgrades sorry. But also you have to realize the droid is a google experience phone. It should get upgrades very fast. I can only thing they are taking a long time thanks to verizon and its testing. Just wanted to make sure i could still continue to get the coolness of the new stuff google keeps adding to android. Just trying to tell myself not to cancel my order at amazon :) especially with the rumors of some more handsets coming to verizon in July (Motorola Shadow). Not that the incredible isn't an excellent phone but i'm a little jealous of the EVOs screen and the kickstand. I would definitly use it for movie viewing if i had it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones