Htc lawsuit soundoff

Last Updated:

1. aerajan

aerajan Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm sure there's plenty of you out there that are aware of today's news involving a lengthy patent infringement lawsuit from Apple against HTC. Though I won't pretend that HTC phones are perfect I will still take my Hero over an iPHone any day! I'm hoping we don't see future technology or the current technology on our phones go out the window because of this lawsuit. All I can say is I think Apple is afraid of what HTC has accomplished and as mention by others afraid of Android as a whole. I'll leave it at that though because the rest would be 4 letter words involving what I have to say about Apple. What do you guys think? In case you're not familiar with what's going on here's a link to the specifics from Anroidcentral.com which also list the 20 specific patent infringements. :mad:
    Apple files suit against HTC, alleging patent infringement [updated] | Android Central

Advertisement
  2. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

notice, some of those patents are from 1993 and 1995.. LONG before Apple even had an idea what the iPhone would be.. I mean come on.. object oriented graphical user interface?? a freaking GUI?? they might as well sue Microsoft for a GUI..

at least Google is standing behind HTC in this fight even though they weren't named in the law suit. Steve Jobs needs to grow up and accept the fact that the iPhone is no longer the top dog.. Android is here to stay and Apple is just another piece of half eaten fruit...

3. aerajan

aerajan Active Member This Topic's Starter

Amen to that!

4. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

Apple actually misappropriated code directly from another companies (HTC, maybe?) patented software for the touch interface which included gestures and other aspects that all touch screen phones now use. I think it was settled out of court, for a handsome sum, I am sure.

5. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

Sniff sniff I smell fear and desperation................

6. gowcaizer1978

gowcaizer1978 Well-Known Member

Its sad really, apple will sue anyone. They did this to nokia also, even tryed to get nokia banned from selling phones in the USA. Oh yeah i smell FEAR. LOL

7. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

apple was gonna sue palm for infringing on patents but then palm had a list of patents apple infringed on of theirs and it ended there...i dont see anything happening with this

8. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

Who cares? Unless you are going to have to pay some money if HTC loses, I wouldnt worry.

9. HeikoMax

HeikoMax Well-Known Member

Frigging Apple! Actually the way that one went was Nokia sued Apple and as a "oh yea???" move, Apple counter-sued Nokie. Apple wound up paying out and making the case go away.

Nokia vs. Apple: the in-depth analysis -- Engadget

HTC has been around for a long time and IIRC, they made the iPaqs for HP, amongst other handheld devices. Those used GUIs and not a peep from Apple. That fact seems to support the fear motive.

10. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't going to say much about this since we all have our various feelings about Apple, but...

The new Apple advertisement campaign slogan;

"THERE'S A PATENT FOR THAT!"

11. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

Apple is starting to bleed market shares in smartphones since Google jumped in. How many Black Berry, Palm, and Win Mo users have switched to Google over their old smartphones? Not to mention that if people are in the market for new 4G phone, they'll be looking at HTC and not Apple.

12. ElAguila

ElAguila Well-Known Member

This hurts us in the long run. Who gets to pay the legal fees? They are passed on to us as the customer through higher prices. Sounds to me like Apple is worried about upcoming products.

13. Syphon

Syphon Well-Known Member

I was a hardcore Black Berry user that switched over to Android. Also my fiance was Black Berry user, that always had an itch to have an iPhone and now shes on Android with the Hero too (and is happy she does not have an iPhone now).

To me, it looks like Apple, who keeps releasing new iPhone versions that really do not add alot of new features, is scared. They realize that because of the openness that Android has, that it has taken off and MANY developers are able to make improvements to it that Apple is just not willing to make. Rather than compete, Apple finds it necessary to try and sue and take the cowards way out. Most Apple users should look at this as their phone maker not wanting to innovate and try to make something new. If Apple came out with the iPhone 3g II and put some new features in it that make it better than Android, then maybe they can attempt to grab back more market share, but Apple is lazy and refuses to do that.

14. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about consumers paying the legal costs. HTC is a multi-national diverse company with an astronomical ammount of equity and resources, they'll just eat the legal costs. The only thing that could really hurt consumers in this suit is if Apple wins, which would mean we probably wouldn't see anymore new Android touchscreen phones. On the plus side, if Apple does win you can expect some anti-trust suits filed against them from Google and every company that makes Android phones.

15. sarspants

sarspants Well-Known Member

My favorite "infringement:" Unlocking a Device by Performing Gestures on an Unlock Image.

Really Apple?? Really? What's next, opening an application by tapping an icon? I think Apple is really starting to feel the heat that Google and HTC are putting on the market. I can easily see HTC counter-suing Apple in all of this. Apple needs to get off its high horse and realize that they aren't the first company to make a phone. If they go after companies with something this stupid, companies are just going to go back at them and say that they copied a patent on a dialpad image that allows you to dial a phone number. Or the patent for ending a call by pressing a red "End Call" button.

16. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

You got that right! The rich seem to just keep getting richer with these selfish "I INVENTED THAT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE IT" patents.

I finally hope that us Americans in the 21st century will now wake up to what's wrong with this patent craziness and do something about it.

So, if you look up the definition of Patent, and then look up the definition of Extortion, can you tell me what the difference is??? Cus I don't see it!

17. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if this goes to court. Usually they just settle and move on.

18. ElAguila

ElAguila Well-Known Member

I don't think Apple will settle unless it gets steady income from HTC. I personally believe this is timed just right and that Apple is thinking of allowing the iPhone to be used by other carriers.

19. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

I still think they will settle and I doubt the terms of the settlement will be public info.

20. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to just pull that ridiculous little black turtleneck sweater over Steve Jobs' head and give him a few jabs and cross punches... hockey style. The poor baby knows that Android is eating away at his market share, so he will now cry like an infant and abuse the court system like so many other morons do in this country. Capitalism at its finest.

21. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

This is the way Apple tries to handle competition. As they watch their marketshare begin to dwindle because they have 1 locked down device on 1 crappy carrier this is their only reaction.

The Google and Android invasion has begun and this lawsuit is not even going to be a bump in the road. I just sit back and smile as money and quality network service aware people trade their iPhones in daily for Android based devices.

I bet they don't have an App for this...

22. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

here's a great quote from Steve Jobs from back in 1996. During a PBS documentary called Triumph of the Nerds, he was quoted as saying the following: "...Picasso had a saying he said good artists copy great artists steal. And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

and yet when he THINKS that his ideas are stolen... he sues??

next he'll be after Gateway for including multi-touch on my mouse pad for my laptop.. oh crap... it also understands gestures for moving forward and backward on web pages.. that's patented technology stolen by Gateway!!!!

now the fun part.. Apple bought one of the early Nexus One phones (on release day) so they could reverse engineer it to look for their technology.. I'm pretty sure that they didn't find exact code from their iPhones..

23. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

If I was God, I would sue Apple for using the fruit I created as their logo and name.

NYCHitman1 likes this.
  24. Bnice

Bnice Guest

this is so crazy and its not just about the patents mr jobs is also trying to stop htc products from shipping into the US. what's really going on APPLE?

25. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

This PATENT Infringement lawsuit is on shaky ground at best. HTC was long into the Mobile Phone Business prior to Apple. Also, there is standing precedent and rulings AGAINST these types of complaints which are really intended to stifle a competitor.

There is only one thing this legal action does... Tells everyone exactly how afraid Apple is right now of the Android Platform.

:cool: