• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Legend Unlocked(Bell) - Update to Froyo

SkankerX

Lurker
May 25, 2010
Hi ! I've been following the forums for a few month since I got my Htc Legend (that was unlocked from Bell and then used with Fido sim card).

I generally love my phone (That is until I saw a college's HTC evo... ouch). Strangely enough, in the past month it's been dealing with some random slowdown and freezes that were not there before ?!

But here's the real question: My phone's unlocked and I haven't recieved any update message (I manually checked also) to update it to Froyo... Now, I didn't unlock the phone and i'm a bit confused as to what the next step for me would be to get my phone up to date.

Would any of you guys be nice enough to let me know what I should do ? Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same situation as you. HTC Legend originally bought from virgin / bell now unlocked.

I spoke to HTC support about when my update would be available. They said that it will be available when it is released from virgin / bell. My response was, why can't I get it directly from you when I have an unlocked phone?

Their response was that it is in their contract with the carrier that it was originally sold through and that there is no such thing as a generic firmware they can supply.

Soooo, though unlocked, I'm still stuck with a lousy carrier that is slow on the software updates. And imagine I selected the HTC brand because they seemed reliable and quick in their updates for sold hardware.

I might be forced to root it after all...

Or is there a way to unbrand it? But it seems that it needs a carrier to lock onto to get updates?

Any ideas are welcome. I'm new here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones