HTC Magic updatesSupport

Last Updated:

1. ItalianBaby757

ItalianBaby757 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, i am new to the forums, a lot of talk flying around and i'm getting blurred out from all the unknown terms:confused:. have been using my magic for almost a year now but only decided to start looking for updates now that i have a bit of time to look around. anyone knows if there is going to be updates for the magic. heard it was going to come to certain parts of the world, am in Singapore (in SE Asia) and haven't heard a thing. I am really eager to try some android labs that require at least a 1.6 and above. please help.

Advertisement
  2. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

My advice would be to root your phone. This is the equivalent to running a PC in administrator mode and will let you do several things that you are unable to do on a non-rooted phone.

The main thing you could then do is install a custom ROM, this would be a custom version of the android operating system that has been made by other users. As Android is open source it is relatively easy for experts users to create custom ROMs for various phones based on various versions of Android with different added extras.

I use Cyanogenmod custom ROM and I would suggest this would the most suitable for a beginner as it looks very similar to the normal ROM but adds various bonus features and would let you to upgrade to either donut (1.6) or eclair (2.1). The 2.1 ROM is currently a beta so may have some bugs but the 1.6 ROm is completely stable.

Have a look at CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Donut tree.

They have their own forum and wiki as well as links to the various downloads.

3. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I have a Rogers unlocked Magic with 1.5. I also want to update it. People who use this site have different tech abilities and some like myself are not comfortable rooting the phone. I respect the above advice but rooting the phone is beyond me.

My options are to get someone to root it which I am trying to do, or hope there is an OTA update in the future.

I have never used Rogers and live in Asia. Is there any chance I will get an OTA update from either Rogers or Google? I see that updating can be done on the Rogers web site. But I am unsure if trying that will brick my phone as I do not use Rogers services. Thanks

4. CooL_SpoT

CooL_SpoT Well-Known Member

I'll try to help you out as best I can, as I was in a very similar position not too long ago.

First things first: I can tell you that you will definitely NOT get any updates from Google. This isn't a Google phone (In the same way that the Nexus One IS a Google phone, it WILL get updates from Google); the resposibility for issuing updates for the phone rest with Rogers and HTC. HTC requests the updates from Google, they modify it the way HTC wants it; Rogers requests the update from HTC, then similarily modify it the way Rogers wants it; THEN it finally make its way to the users.

Secondly, I don't expect you'll get the OTA update that Rogers plans in the next month or so, since you're not using the Rogers service. I don't expect there's any way for Rogers to release the update to every cell-phone provider in the world so that those providers can issue that update to the relatively few people that may be using Rogers branded phones on their service.

You CAN download the updates from Rogers directly and try to run them on your phone, however. Of course, that's dependant on Rogers releasing the updates for download to begin with. You can also check HTC.com, I believe they have Rogers updates on their site as well.

Once you do get the update file however you get it, you can rest easy that it won't brick your phone. As far as I know, the worst that may happen is the security checks that the RUU (Rom Update Utility, btw) runs may fail, and the update doesn't run. I don't think that will be the case, however, as I believe the checks that the RUU runs are based on the phone itself (thus it should work, as it's a Rogers phone), and NOT based on the cell-phone service provider.

In short: Download the file, once it's available, and try it. Worst-case scenario is that it doesn't update.

(Naturally, anyone more experienced than myself, feel free to correct me on any mistaken assumptions here.)

5. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Thanks Cool Spot for taking the time to reply. That answers all my concerns.