• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Magic(vodafone) ROM upgrade! Android 2.2???

jawdatmk

Lurker
Jul 4, 2010
HELP..........

I bought my magic vodafone a 3 months ago... I love it, and now I want to upgrade to 2.2, I dont know how what to do, I dont know what is rooted or non rooted means. and what rom in my htc, and dont know if this new ver. 2.2 is what I really want ( like is there a live wallpaper)..

I really need help, :thinking:

HELP..........

I bought my magic vodafone a 3 months ago... I love it, and now I want to upgrade to 2.2, I dont know how what to do, I dont know what is rooted or non rooted means. and what rom in my htc, and dont know if this new ver. 2.2 is what I really want ( like is there a live wallpaper)..

I really need help, :thinking:

Man, what do you know? :)

Just read some topics related to android 2.2 on this forum and you will make up your mind after some time.

Upvote 0
as far as i know, Magic runs on 1.6 and cannot be updated to 2.1, leave alone 2.2. Besides, the hardware Magic runs on won't really be able to support 2.2. You can root 2.1 but i'm not sure if that would affect the interface (basic running of your phone). I suggest you stick to what you have, or get an upgrade. Read on Google what the differences are when on 1.6/2.1/2.2.

Upvote 0
as far as i know, Magic runs on 1.6 and cannot be updated to 2.1, leave alone 2.2. Besides, the hardware Magic runs on won't really be able to support 2.2. You can root 2.1 but i'm not sure if that would affect the interface (basic running of your phone). I suggest you stick to what you have, or get an upgrade. Read on Google what the differences are when on 1.6/2.1/2.2.

Well, I think he has a chance to receive an official android 2.2.

HTC Magic will get Android 2.2, According to SFR | Android Community

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/06/vodafone-htc-magic-not-getting-android-2-1-update-but-2-2-may-come/

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/06/us-spec-htc-magic-to-get-full-android-2-2-update-via-t-mobile/

Upvote 0
well , I checked the you tube, and there is many who have htc magic and they upgraded to 2.2 , so I want to know if its really possible,, and if it is,, I need a little help in this... I just installed sdk and jdk and jre. then I did the path but its not working, what to do now???

The installed 2.2 must be some ROMs from unofficial developers. Search for those ROMs in forums like XDA.

However it will take time until official 2.2 is released for your phone.

Upvote 0
Hello Saibi, everyone.

The procedure depends on the type of Magic you own I guess (there are 2 boards, A and B).. "With google" or not ..

I have my Magic since his release date, unfortunately, after the 1.6 OTA update,
cannot root it anymore via adb..

The only thing I didn't try is to do that with a gold card.. Downgrade it again to 1.5 and start from there..
But anyway..

I'm satisfied with my 1.6 opsys, even though I'm impatiencely waiting for the next PROMISED update (2.2 ??) Will see..

Anyway XDA has all the info you need to root your phone...
But be carefull, if you don't want to brick it!

Cheers,
jgz

Upvote 0
Just got 2.2.1 OTA from vodafone on the vodafone magic (uk Magic 32B)

build number: FRG83D.

After update phone was lagging, and not working very well and was slow.

Decided to restore to factory preset. Before doing that I strated removing apps.
Some of the apps brought up the message 'application not found'..

After the reset and installing apps the phone is faster than with 1.6.

Some apps like skype are bit heavy for the phone, but in general its a lot better than 1.6

I'd suggest after installing 2.2.1 to do a factory reset (it will get it to 2.2.1 clean)

Didn't expect to get 2.2.1 in this phone!!

I guess a lot will say 'its slow and buggy' but get real, its a 1.5 year old phone, but it works great with whatever version of 2.2.1 vodafone updated.

Reactions: iimre
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones