HTC Magic Wifi problemsSupport

Last Updated:

1. wonkizzle

wonkizzle Member This Topic's Starter

Ok guys, I hope this is an easy fix.. but lets see here.. Where to begin...

I bought a used unlocked Vodafone HTC Magic off of ebay, and got it setup with my Local GSM just fine. I can make calls, and receive texts no problem. Since I dont want a Data plan, I plan on relying on wifi for gmail services and whatnot. My problem is this. I cant get on wifi. When I go to settings>wireless controls> Wifi at the top says "Unable to start Wi-Fi" And no matter how many times I click it, it just wont start. When I go into Wi-Fi settings, "Add Wi-Fi network" is greyed out, and I cant add one. When I press the menu button while in that menu and select "Scan" It doesnt do anything, just goes away.

Any ideas guys? I really want to get this phone working to its full potential.
    EDIT:: I also dont have any APN settings.. I thought it was only for data plans, and the phone works just fine without them except the wifi... Could that be it?

I dont know if it has anything to do with my location because Vodafone is overseas right? Im in USA.. But the guy shipped from NJ.. And said it was working fine for him...

Advertisement
  2. wonkizzle

Bump, anyone? Im so frustrated that my Wifi wont turn on. Do I need to set up apn settings? Factory reset didn't change anything, I even updated to latest cyanogen mod.... Help help help!

3. wonkizzle

One last bump before I give up...

4. draymon

draymon Member

maybe u need a data plan??

5. wonkizzle

A data plan just to use Wifi? I thought I could use wifi without needing a data plan... Can someone verify this please?

6. Knutfreddy

Knutfreddy Active Member

Wi-Fi does not need a data plan or any APN settings. Have you tried running it in safe mode to see what happens then?

7. wonkizzle

I did, had the same problem. I just returned it and called it defective. I tried everything. Thanks for the help guys.

8. ZEUS

ZEUS Member

How do you make Wifi on the HTC Magic work, other than making sure it connects to a network?

9. coololdrocker

coololdrocker Member

you can take your sim card out and still use wifi so no you don't need a data plan.

10. Maxxy

Maxxy Well-Known Member

I have this issue with not being able to start wifi on my Magic from time to time. In my case it takes a reboot to get it fixed. I'm assuming you've tried to reboot yours, right? I guess the next step would be to try a factory reset.