• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Mail Memory Hog

Lake482

Lurker
Sep 15, 2010
Okay, I'm sorry to repost on this issue, but no one seems to have posted a solution: My HTC Mail Application is taking up 54.4MB of memory on my phone, causing a low memory warning to appear, even after I have deleted all the accounts other than my gmail, and this low memory seems to be causing Gmail to stop downloading new mail to my phone, can't download updates for other applications, etc. How do I delete this data from my phone? Does anyone know how?

Welcome to Android Forums, Lake482.

I'd go into menu > settings > applications > manage applications and then go to the Mail app and clear data via the clear data button, as well as cache.

While in that area you might want to check cache sizes on any app in the top ten on the list after hitting menu again (while in the manage applications list area) and pressing "sort by size."

Cache clearing is one thing, but clearing data will cause you to have to reconfigure each app that you do clear data on. I do this from time to time in the browser, etc.

Upvote 0
I had the same thing happen to me. My Mail account got up to 97MB. I got multiple warning about low memory. I was unable to even open up my email account, couldn't even delete the account. Under the menu>settings>manage applications, the cache was empty. After a phone call to Verizon's tech support, all I could do was a factory reset. Hope it doesn't happen again, I'm on Eris #5.

Upvote 0
Yes, I've also experienced this, and have contacted HTC. There are several reports of it, but no real fix. The best way to go, and this is what I went with (reluctantly), is to factory reset, then install K-9 Mail. It's a pretty nice app, and it will not fill up your internal memory.

One thing you could've checked before removing your accounts was the Trash folder for each. The app stores messages on the internal phone storage, and this includes the Trash.

Sorry for the bad news. I'm actually pretty surprised there hasn't been an update from HTC considering this is also an issue with the Incredible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones