HTC Mail Problem with IMAP Server

Last Updated:

1. esmeet7af

esmeet7af New Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried searching for this issue around the forums, but I can't find anything similar...

I bought a Hero about a month ago, and I use the Gmail app to get my Google Mail with no problems at all. I set up the default Mail app to get my work e-mail using an IMAP incoming server and SMTP outgoing server, and that's where my problem exists.

When I set up the account on the Mail app, everything works great and it downloads the e-mails I've received within the last few days. After 12-24 hours, it stops downloading any e-mails into my Inbox. If I hit refresh, it refreshes without any error messages, but no mail shows up. I tried deleting the mail account several times and setting it up anew; each time the same thing happens - it works for the first 12-24 hours and then stops downloading. (I can still send e-mails with no problem...I've tested that.)

The strangest part is that if I hit Menu from my Inbox and choose the Folders option, I get a folders list that has some of my IMAP folders in it, but then where the list should include folders that have sub-folders, it instead begins a list of literally thousands of folder names like {33}, {51}, {20}, {27}, {22}, {34}, and so on. (The numbers in the brackets appear as the folder names, and the numbers often repeat, but not in a recognizable pattern.) Overall, the list of "folders" with those numbers in brackets is thousands of items long.

Based on my observations, I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with the fact that some of my IMAP folders have sub-folders within them (since those are the folders that don't show up on my list). For example, if I have an IMAP folder called "Research" that has two sub-folders called "Research Project A" and "Research Project B", none of those folders show up in the Folders list, but these bracketed numbers are there in droves.

I'm really stuck on this, and the Sprint tech support guy in my local store says he hasn't seen anything like it.

Can anyone help? (I've LOVED my HTC Hero and the Sprint service and coverage, but this is a frustrating issue for me.)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Does your work have an Exchange server, if so use that.

3. esmeet7af

esmeet7af New Member This Topic's Starter

I work at a university that uses Lotus Notes with Domino servers. I'm not sure if you can use MSFT Exchange.

I'm tempted to just try out K-9 or another e-mail client, but I'd like to figure out what's going on with this one.

Does anyone have either (1) some solution for the problem on the generic HTC Mail app or (2) a recommendation for another reliable e-mail app I could use on the HTC Hero?

Thanks.

4. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

I used the stock mail client with my work Gmail account using IMAP and didn't have that problem. I switched to K-9 because it supports IMAPs IDLE PUSH...so I get push from my work account.

5. CliffMitchell

CliffMitchell New Member

I have exactly the same problem, including the same {33} style folders appearing on my HTC Desire using HTC Mail to access my IMAP server. Interestingly I also work at a University that uses Lotus Notes with Domino servers - I wonder if this is a factor?

Has anyone found a solution?
    Does K-9 avoid the problem?

Thanks

PS
    I have now installed K-9 and this appears to work much better - so far totally reliable.

6. ndall

ndall Member

I have a similar problem on my GSM hero here in the UK. Instead of folders with {33} type names though, I found literally thousands of copies of a folder with the name "INBOX.drafts" (all empty). The app had become VERY slow after a few months.

A few days ago I deleted the IMAP account from the HTC mail app and set it up again. This fixed the problem temporarily, but I just checked the folders again and there are now dozens of INBOX.drafts copies again. They appear to multiply over time.

I would be interested to know if this corresponds with your experiences with Sprint Heros (folder names aside).

I contacted HTC about the problem. They just fobbed me off with "do a hard reset and then reinstall every app on your phone one by one to see which is causing the problem". I can't be bothered with that, so I might just switch to K-9.