HTC Mail

Last Updated:

1. Reflection306

Reflection306 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there, for some reason my HTC Mail app is taking up 53.44MB of data, yet I have just deleted all my emails (sent, inbox, trash, drafts) for all accounts yet I am unable to delete any data.

I'm concerned as I am constantly getting low space messages, yet that is the only one that is taking up excessive amounts.

Advertisement
  2. hocturnalsoul

hocturnalsoul Well-Known Member

Have you tried clearing the cache? Go to Settings> Applications> Mail.

3. Reflection306

The only two things I can do are "about" and "force stop"

Storage
    Total 54.73mb
    Application 0.00b
    Data 54.73MB

Cache 0.00b

4. hocturnalsoul

hocturnalsoul Well-Known Member

How about restarting your device? Have you used App killer?

5. psionguy

psionguy Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. What I am not sure about is if you delete emails from your desire, does it also delete from your google account. In my settings/manage applications/google mail/manage space/deleted. I have deleted emails as sync none so I am making the assumption I can delete from my desire and will leave my google account emails still available, can anyone confirm?

6. Reflection306

It's now crept up to 64.07mb (data), and I am almost constantly getting the low space message.

I barely have any apps, the cache has been cleared on all of them, I have restarted the phone, I also have "advanced task killer free", but that just disables programs.

I'm probably going to have to reset everything, but I'd really prefer not to...

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

I thought emails were stored on the SD card

8. Reflection306

I bit the bullet and did a factory reset, interesting thing now is that I've installed all the apps I originally had and I still have about 85mb space which is great.

Why though was the email data so high? I'm going to keep track of it to see if it start going through the roof again.

9. Clum

Clum New Member

Does anybody have a solution for this? I've got the same problem and I don't want to have to reset everything :(

10. masherthemash

masherthemash Active Member

Same prob here....anyone??

11. JetBlonde

JetBlonde New Member

Same problem - no emails in the 'in box' but using 88MB of space.

Constantly getting the "phone storage space getting low" warning.

Highly annoying...

12. PokerMunkee

PokerMunkee Active Member

Same problem with Droid Eris 2.1.

Any solution? About to upgrade the wifey to the Incredible......Eris is sucking balls.

13. frostydub

frostydub Member

bumped to the top

14. mr.hachi

mr.hachi Well-Known Member

Had the same problem, nothing you can do about it at the moment. I had to do a factory reset and then installed K-9 Email.

15. frostydub

frostydub Member

Hmm, just sent an email to HTC about it. I'll post the reply if I ever receive one.

16. skunis1

skunis1 Well-Known Member

I had a problem with phone storage low. Didn't have access to a computer since I was on vacation so I did a factory reset. Then I read about the possibility of the HTC mail app causing this. I know delete trashed email every day.

I was trying to find somewhere to set the phone to delete trash email after a certain amount of days or time or size of the folder but there is nothing in the settings. It would be a good tweak from HTC.

17. TTupa

TTupa Well-Known Member

What are everyone's HTC Mail app settings? I'm on a 2.1 Eris, and just started getting this issue after receiving a very large email. I deleted the email, size stayed around 65mb. I removed the one account in the app (probably a big mistake) with no change in the app size.

I found, through some searching, that this may be related to the retention setting. Everything was fine when I had it set for 3 Days. I would never empty the Trash folder in the mail app, and I never had the low internal storage issue.

As soon as I changed it to 7 Days, things started going wrong. After receiving that really large email, the app ballooned, and now it's virtually un-fixable.

Does anyone know of the location in the internal phone storage where the mail app stores its data? That's my only hope at this point other than factory reset.

18. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Set retention to off, sync then set to one day and try.

19. lssong99

lssong99 New Member

Any have any update on this? My HTC mail data also become large and cannot delete it.

Does anyone know where the HTC mail stores it's data? can we just delete the file? There are some folders on phone (data, app-cache, cache) are marked unreadable for non-rooted users, anyway to chmod into read/write

20. ic31420

ic31420 New Member

Did anyone ever find a solution to this issue?

I have this problem and am rapidly running out of apps to delete to keep space available!

One thing that i have noticed is that despite having deleted the files from my email account, if i use the magnifying glass search button on the front of my desire and type in some words from the subject of a past deleted email the search results, click on that and the email is displayed so obviously it is still storing the emails but where and how to get rid is evading me!

21. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

Have any of you actually emptied your Trash ?

22. ic31420

ic31420 New Member

23. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

I stopped using the HTC email app and deleted my email account details from it. However the app is still storing 3mb of data with no apparent way to delete it :confused:

24. batuj

batuj Member

remove the account attached to the mail application and readd the account to application.

25. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

Could be the attachment cache. Go to settings / applications and clear the cache. Also check its using external rather than internal storage (mail/settings/general settings).