HTC message app dis-able

Last Updated:

1. tonyguy2000

tonyguy2000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can anyone tell me how to disable or uninstall the HTC message app that came with the phone. I'm using handcent but get message notification on both, thanks

Advertisement
  2. rzenger

rzenger Well-Known Member

You need to go into the settings on your stock messaging app and turn off the notifications.

3. tonyguy2000

So it will still be working in the background anyway? can't get rid of it completely?

4. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

if you root it you could probably uninstall it. i think this would have some effect on 3rd party apps though like handcent

5. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

Why would you want to get rid of it completely?

6. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

It doesn't "work" in the background. It's a program that does work when you open it or when you receive a text message. Otherwise it just sits there. I also wonder if some of the libraries used by "messages" are also used by Handcent's app as well.

7. tonyguy2000

Well, I didn't open the HTC message application all day until just now and it had all my text messages I have been doing all day even though I am using handcent, that's why I thought it has to be running in the background. So why do I need both apps when I like handcent better? Thanks for your replies.

8. gabbott

It has them because it is getting them from the same place that handcent is on your phone. Your phone gets a text and the messaging apps just display them. A good test of this is try sending a message from handcent, do you also see that message in the htc messaging app?

And you should be careful deleting it because it potentially cause issues with 3rd-party messaging apps.

9. tonyguy2000

LOL- I just tired it and the outgoing text appeared in both apps, so like I was saying, the HTC is working in the background anyway. I'll just leave things alone and use Handcent and dis able notifications in the HTC app. Thanks

10. gabbott

It doesn't mean the HTC messaging app is working in the background, it just means when you opened it, it was reading your messages from the exact same place on your phone that handcent displays them from. That is the point I was getting at.

11. wubbie075

wubbie075 Well-Known Member

This must be the case because when I opened Handcent immediately after downloading it showed me all my texts.

12. greyisokay

greyisokay Member

My problem is similar----the HTC messaging app ALWAYS opens its own window when I get a text message.

I have disabled all notifications from the app itself, and yet it still pops up. So what happens is I get a pop-up from Handcent (or SMS Popup) AS WELL AS a pop-up from the default messaging app. And it's worse----the default app's popup is always the one on top. GRR.

13. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

It is kind of redundant to have two apps doing pretty much the same thing. I would also love to uninstall the stock messaging client if i am going to use a 3rd party.