HTC Music player post-upgrade?

Last Updated:

1. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wotcher chaps and chapettes, has anyone played with the music app since upgrading to the later Hero rom? If so have you noticed if the app heeds the track order properly or not, or whether it continues to keep re-ordering tracks in alphabetical order?

Advertisement
  2. keithwright

keithwright Active Member

Just had a look...

If you slide to albums tab then longpress to play selected album it plays them alphabetically, but if you click on selected album instead of longpressing the tracks are listed properly....and clicking first track plays them as they should be

was it like this originally? i don't remember

3. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes it was like that originally, sadly it seems they've done little to sort the music app out (I've updated the ROM, a much more painful process than it should have been), it's still very poor, but not as poor as the rubbish available in the marketplace. It's amazing that billions of years after the first ipod was released, this

4. ken-doh

ken-doh Active Member

so I take it there is nothing out there that can replace the crappy player ?

maybe I will consider spotify then... hmmm

5. keithwright

keithwright Active Member

There are music apps that can play your library as well as stream random tracks - you need an internet connection for the streaming business. The ones i tried are Imeem, Wikitune, Lastfm and one other i cannot remember. There are pluses and minuses to all of them but none are as good as the awesome Spotify.....only thing is you have to buy a premium subscription for that - I have heard that they are thinking about bringing in various price strategies too which would be good for a lot of people

Personally i don't have a problem with the music player, ok it's no ipod but it does the job fine for me

6. asimeow

asimeow Member

I'm having a problem with the "coverflow" part. I want to be able to browse albums in my collection, looking at the covers, swiping to get to the next one...you get the idea...but it seems I can only chose one album at the time or all songs in my collection at once.

Any ideas as to how I can achieve this?

EDIT:The weird thing is that is works as long as I only have one album per artist... Which is kinda ridiculous.

EDIT#2:After some more messing about with the music player I found that I almost get the desired result when chosing play all from the context menu in e.g. the Albums-view. Sadly the tracks from each album are then sorted alphabetically, not based on the ID3-tags or filenames... Still...a bit closer.

7. rdelfin

rdelfin Well-Known Member

Even though this is not a flaw, I understand it can be confusing.

About your complaint of tracks sorted alphabetically, that's because you are selecting your album from "cover flow" screen (the screen where you can flip through your album library directly within the music player screen). Within this screen, you're basically just browsing all your songs grouped by albums in alphabetical order, and within each album, every track also is listed in alphabetical order.

If you instead, go to the "list mode" screen and then place the bottom selector to show your library by ALBUM, you will get a list of all the albums in your library. Choose any album from the list and tracks will be played in the order they are meant to be played as their original order by track number (this is because you're now making your selection under Album criteria (as opposed to alphabetical criteria).

As per how to show all of your music library in "cover flow" mode, you need to go to "list" screen first, then place the bottom selector to display your library by SONGS, so all of your songs will be there. You then press the "menu" botton and select "play all songs", and you will be taken to cover flow screen again, with every single song in your music library. Just hit the pause button to stop the music playing and flip through the album covers of your library. Keep in mind, both songs and albums will be sorted alphabetically.

Do I think this is intuitive? NO it's not. But hey, as I said, it can get confusing at first, but once you get it, it makes SENSE ('sense', get it? ;) )