HTC News app problems

Last Updated:

1. karielia

karielia New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys - sorry if this is a basic question!

I've been using the inbuilt HTC News application to read RSS Feeds, and I like the interface, and find it very useful. But... it's really buggy! :(

Often I manually refresh a feed, but it won't bring in any updates (even if it's been several days since I last updated it, and I know new stories are available). And often I try to add feeds that I follow on the Internet by typing them in, and it says: "Add channel error: This URL is not correct." I'll know I've typed it in correctly, and I'll re-enter it a few times, and eventually (randomly) it'll accept it. Also the feeds never update automatically, even when I start up the app and go to the main page - I have to go to each feed individually and refresh. :confused:

Does anyone else have these problems? Does it get better with Froyo (I haven't updated yet)? Or can anyone recommend a better RSS Feed reader which isn't so buggy?

Advertisement
  2. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

If you search the forum you'll find a few threads about this already. Seems to be a bit hit and miss whether it works.

Its fubar'd in froyo too.

I haven't tried any others yet so can't recommend. Again, if you search you'll probably find some :)

3. benchmark

benchmark Well-Known Member

I dont konw if having froyo has anything to do with it but mine works flawlessly with manual download and it did too before the froyo update. I have 8 selected channels is read and have selected.

4. carbonara

carbonara Well-Known Member

Mine usually works although I have quite a few feeds in it and it locks up for 30 seconds or so whilst it's updating, which is annoying. There seems to be a few bugs in the included HTC apps in general. HTC Peep started getting really slow on me and taking 3 or 4 minutes to refresh so I've now started using Twitroid, which is miles better. The People app is also full of bugs and the stock browser has a couple too.

5. Steve_S_T

Steve_S_T Well-Known Member

I've struggled with feed readers including the native HTC one since switching to Desire from BlackBerry and losing Viigo. However, I decided to subscribe to my news feeds in Google Reader and then to link that with my phone via FeedR. I now find that I prefer this app to Viigo, not least because it updates each feed really quickly as soon as I click into it enabling me to read the feeds upwards chronologically from where I was the previous time that I was in the app rather than downwards from newest first. Only a little thing but I like it and would say the app is well worth trying.

Steve.

6. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Works flawlessly for me. Haven't hit a bug in it yet and I use it daily for three feeds.