htc oem car chargerAccessories

Last Updated:

1. kangdroid

kangdroid Member This Topic's Starter

is there an oem htc car charger for the incredible yet? can't seem to find one anywhere. not interested in the verizon micro car charger.

Advertisement
  2. veccster

veccster Well-Known Member

Does it really have to be OEM? I have a cheap one that I bought off ebay. It's a DC adapter that accepts a USB. I use it to charge my Zune and it works fine.

[​IMG]

3. radworm

radworm Well-Known Member

I ordered this one from VZW with my phone. It was discounted at the time.

Enter your location

4. Red Leader

Red Leader Well-Known Member

Why not?

5. justing1319

justing1319 Member

I'm expecting two DIs so I went to monoprice.com and ordered:
    2x Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter
    2x 6ft microUSB
    2x 3ft microUSB

It cost less than $10 shipped and my wife and i will be able to plug in anywhere we need it.

6. eleazar

eleazar Well-Known Member

I did practically the same thing. Can't beat monoprice! I added a few USB wall chargers and a 1.5ft cable for my laptop and it was still only $12. :)

7. tbeas

tbeas Well-Known Member

I completely forgot about monoprice! Thanks guys. I even bumped up the shipping since the cables and charger were so cheap. Hopefully it gets here Friday.

8. B A Doe

B A Doe Member

Good idea. Filling up my cart right now.

9. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

I've actually spent lots of time (maybe too much) trying to find a car charger.

From what I've been able to gather, its not quite as simple a decision as you might think. The question is the charging current. The higher the current the faster the phone can charge. But you shouldn't exceed what the manufacturer recommends... which of course isn't documented.

The USB standard says that USB ports on a computer MUST be able to provide 500ma of power (1/2 AMP) @ 5V. But this isn't much. Many manufacturers, possibly starting with Apple, upped the amperage with their chargers to 1A (1000ma).

Recently Apples iPad needs more current to charge it. It needs 2.1A (2100ma) to charge. New car chargers are just coming on the market that support it.

So the question is how much current can the Incredible handle to charge it up in a car? The supplied AC power adapter outputs 1A so it can handle at least that. I've found references online to an HTC OEM car charger which outputs 2A. So it seems that it should be able to handle 2A. This charger should be able to charge it up to 4x faster than a regular 500ma car charger. But this HTC charger seems hard to find.

I was actually planning on going to the Apple store and picking up an aftermarket Griffin or Incase iPad car charger. Is has a USB port which lets you plug in the cable from the Incredible to charge it. Its relatively expensive, $25, but if I'm charging in the car, I going somewhere and often need it charged up as fast as I can. This charger should work for iPod, iPhone, iPad, my G1 and Incredible.

Edit: I should mention that I am not confident that its ok to use a 2A charger with the Incredible since I can't find documentation anywhere from HTC. I do plan to try it after I get my phone on Thursday.

10. dvdivx

dvdivx Well-Known Member

They sell a $10 dual usb charger at Fry's. It's 1 amp if one port is used or .5 amps if two ports are used but I like it since I can charge both the phone and the bluetooth headset. I can even use a mini usb cable and charge my wife's phone.

jprow507 likes this.
  11. jprow507

jprow507 Well-Known Member

dvdivx I don't see such a charger on Frys website. Is it store only or do you know the model?

12. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 Well-Known Member

I use one of these Universal USB Mini Car Charger Adapter, Black

There was a $5 off coupon a while ago, probably wouldn't pay full price.

T-Mobile stores sell mini- to micro-USB adapters (ask for the Razr charger adapter) for about $5. Assuming you have a ton of mini-USB cables for things like digital cameras and old cell phones, it's pretty convenient.

13. Callahan

Callahan Well-Known Member

Good post. It's always a good idea to check the specs of a DC transformer output if that device isn't the one that is specifically designed for that particular product. The problem with car chargers is that very few, if any, have the voltage and current specs listed on them like most wall units do. This makes me think that there's probably not a lot of difference in the current output of car chargers.

14. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Well-Known Member

Any 5 volt USB charger with a micro USB on the phone end will work fine. The stock HTC charger that came with the Inc. is rated at 1 amp, so if you can find a generic charger with 1 amp output, it would be best.

The Moto Droid car charger fits the bill, and output is rated at 1 amp.

15. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

my guess is that those 2 amp chargers would work too. It's not pushing 2 amps, but can handle devices drawing power up to 2 amps... it's just like the circuits in your house. You have a 15 amp breaker but the TV doesn't draw that full 15 amps

16. knightwing44

knightwing44 Well-Known Member

Anyone have direct links to these items on monoprice - i'm having a really hard time locating them... I did wake up at 4:30 this morning, so that might have something to do with it...

knight

17. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Well-Known Member

Correct, it will work. Anything less than 1 AMP will also work, but will not charge as quickly.

18. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

knightwing44 likes this.
  19. kangdroid

kangdroid Member This Topic's Starter

Does the Ferrite Core in the cable cause any issues? Is it better or not?

20. necosino

It's supposed to be better and carry the signal better, but for our purposes, I don't think it makes a huge difference.

21. markketch

markketch Well-Known Member

I ordered the Monoprice USB Adapter (#3523) and it's dead after one day of use. I guess that's what you get for $1.16.

22. necosino

That's really unusual. I've been using MonoPrice for a couple years so far and haven't had anything I got from there fail me yet. Call them up (They are there on sundays) and they'll probably send you out a new one.

23. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

The Monoprice car chargers work fine, but I'm having an issue with the USB wall charger. When I plug the Inc in to charge, the screen and soft buttons become unresponsive. I can turn the screen on and off with the power button, but that's it.

Anyone else having this issue with the wall charger from Monoprice?

24. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Well-Known Member

monoprice for the win! ordered it last night also.

25. knightwing44

knightwing44 Well-Known Member

Just ordered a bunch of stuff from them :) With the battery that we are blessed with, I'll be charging at home, work, and on the road :D

thanks again
    knight