HTC Official Car Holder CU-S420Accessories

Last Updated:

1. cdbandit

cdbandit Member This Topic's Starter

I have just taken delivery of the newly released HTC Car Upgrade Pack CU-S420. It's a very well made piece of kit.

The instruction manual states that when you place your telephone into the cradle, the phone is supposed to activate the 'Navipanel' software which is built into the phone. Unfortunately, my phone does not activate this.

I telephoned the HTC UK helpline to ask and they were not even aware that the car holder had been released!! Their suggestion was to send it back for a replacement.

However, before I do that I just wanted to see if anyone else had the new car holder and has encountered such a problem.

Advertisement
  2. Rmat02

Rmat02 New Member

I have the same problem and got the same reply. On the Mobilefun website one person has posted a review for the official car kit and also mentioned that the Navipanel does not work with Android 2.2 firmware!!:(

3. danh1275

danh1275 New Member

This is my first post on here and I have registered due to my anger at this subject. I also have purchased the kit which I think is well worth the money. I couldn't believe it didn't show navi panel and am very dissapointed as this was exactly the reason why I bought it.

HTC should act on this as I noticed they did on the htc website for the HD2.

4. cdbandit

Just had this reply fro Viktor at HTC support...

"Sorry for the delayed response. I have investigated the issue a bit further - the Desire does not come with the "NaviPanel” software, as the manufacturer claims, and there is no download available for it. There is a “Navigation” app, which you can find in the list of all apps, but I am not sure if it is the same. Alternatively, you can go to Android market and search for “Car Home” or “Car dock” and try out some of the 3rd party apps available, but please be aware HTC does not produce those, so you will be using them at your own risk."

I don't really understand the part where he says 'as the manufacturer claims'. My understanding is that HTC are responsible for the packaging and marketing of their own products. Secondly, my understanding was that the 'Navipanel' software was part of Froyo....why was it removed by HTC?

5. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

6. volvo940seturbo

volvo940seturbo Well-Known Member

I too have this superb piece of kit, and I too have the same issue with the navi panel. When I contacted htc about this, I was told it was down to the different markets where the phone was sold as to whether the navi panel is part of the software. It seems that vodafone in the UK or any UK handset for that matter do not have the navi panel as part of the software.

Apart from this small issue, the kit is superb, very well made, the desire fits perfectly in the holder, it does come up with car mode when you dock it, but have not tried as yet to see what this allows you to do, I would assume it changes the way the phone rings or volume or some such thing. Will be trying it today on a long journey so will see how it operates.

I downloaded car dock v2 but the icons are very fuzzy some I can only assume they are for a lower resolution screen, as to whether it opens when the phone is docked, I have not tried it yet.

Will report my findings once I have tried it.

7. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

8. Xomegaman

Xomegaman New Member

9. Xomegaman

Xomegaman New Member

Downloaded it and it works fine for me on all 6 options - HTC Desire on 3.

10. MCEmily

MCEmily Active Member

I'm looking at buying this but have a question.

Does anyone know whether the charger part of this is powerful enough to charge the battery faster than SatNav will drain it? I ask because this seems to be an issue with other car kits for this phone.

Thanks.

11. cdbandit

I have been using Google SatNav for a little while with the official car kit and have been pleasantly surprised by the battery charge v consumption. I haven't undertaken any mammoth journeys as yet, but battery level seem to be kept topped up adequately to account for GPS and screen being kept alive.

12. Hippotech

Hippotech Well-Known Member

Mine arrived over the weekend and has a label on the box saying that NaviPanel needs to be downloaded from HTC's support site, but i can't find it.

I just downloaded the XDA Developer one - works fine for me.

The only thing I would add is that there is a 'knack' to docking the phone, at least on mine. The power connector doesn't quite line up meaning you need two hands to get it docked.

13. biggdaniell

biggdaniell Well-Known Member

Can anyone else confirm this?
    This is a deal-breaker for me...the purpose of buying a dock-like car holder is to be able to DOCK it using one hand. Otherwise any cheap universal car holder is good enough.

Oh, and one other question: with the phone locked (screen off), when docking, the screen is unlocked automatically?

10x

14. danh1275

danh1275 New Member

I have used the car dock now on long journeys using googlemaps. The phone is charged more than the battery drains it using gps.

Still no joy on the navi panel though. I have a big problem about this as HTC shouldn't sell stuff that is not accurate. Having had many annoying email discussions from support they now tell me to phone the number that couldn't help me in the first place.

Next stop is trading standards.

15. jimbob1001

jimbob1001 New Member

I have the car dock & I love it, but since setting up my work email using exchange in the HTC email app it forces my phone to lock after 10 mins inactivity, and I need to type in a password to unlock screen. Obviously this becomes quite difficult if screen turns off whilst driving.
    Anyone know how to get around this. Tried tasker but could only force screen to stay on whilst plugged in.

16. omkphil

omkphil New Member

Hi,
    It seems difficult to find some decent pictures or a download of the manual, so I'm hoping an exisiting owner can help.

1) Would a Desire in a Gel case fit into the holder?
    2) Would it be plausible to mount the business end (phone holder) onto a fully fitted "proclip" bracket (drilled metal flat plate) from my former phone? I would expect that the suction/mount end and the shaft would be discarded.

I'm also considering the Brodit version, so any info re Q1 for that would be usefull too.

Thanks
    Phil

17. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

I have an unbranded phone running Froyo (UK) and it looks as though the Car Dock software is built in?

Press on screen>Add Shortcut>settings>Car Dock

18. biggdaniell

biggdaniell Well-Known Member

I just bought the CU-S420 holder....

the GOOD:
    - very good plastic quality and build
    - nice design
    - automatically triggers the "car mode"

the BAD:

EVERYTHING FU%^NG ELSE!

- extremely difficult to adjust, only allows a few degrees on movement so if the angle between windshield and the horizontal plane it narrow (like a sport car) this "holder" can't be mounted (unless you are willing to attach the damn thing on your dashboard).
    - plugging the phone in the holder is a MESS and a very RISKY business...I managed the scratch the phone badly all around the usb connector while trying to plug the phone (and my phone had absolutely no scratch before this since I bought it, almost a year ago). It's very difficult using both hands and nearly impossible with one hand only.

Why in the world they had to reinvent the wheel I have no idea. I mean there are a lot of proven designs out there that offers great functionality and ergonomics. They had to "create" a new design, even if it is non-functional. I don't understand how HTC (which created some incredible well designed phones, like Desire) could come up with this shit....

Don't buy this crap even if you can afford it!!

UKseagull likes this.
  19. pr1vatepiles

pr1vatepiles Member

just taken delivery this morning. as said above very good build quality. phone recognises its in a dock and goes into car mode. maps working well and very happy with it. True its more expensive then others but way i see it. if the htc dock fails and damages my desire. i will be able to complain straight to them and not regret buying cheapo ones. my two cents anyhow