• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help htc one m7 unfortunately setup wizard has stopped

xBAKIx

Nov 26, 2016
Hey guys, i'm new. I've got a problem and i'm not sure if it can be solved. when i unlock my phone the first thing that will appear is 'unfortunately setup wizard has stopped'. i can go to the settings, turn on wifi etc, but i can't see any icons. besides that it also shows me to reinstall google+ and when i try to make a google account it says can't connect right now. So i tried going to bootloader, i tried factory reset and it show red triangle, also in bootloader it says ***TAMPERED*** ***LOCKED***. can this be fixed or is my phone completely useless now?

"Locked" is normal on the bootloader. "Tampered" suggests that someone has modified the system at some point. Have you attempted to root it, or did you buy it second hand? I'm mainly asking because if you've tried rooting then you can supply more information, whereas if you bought it in this state then you probably can't.

The red triangle from the bootloader was the HTC stock recovery module. When that is on the screen you need to press power and volume up together to bring up the recovery menu. That's normal.

To run an RUU you want to put the phone in fastboot mode, which is another option in the bootloader. In that mode you can connect it to a PC. The computer won't see it as a storage device, but the RUU will be able to communicate with it.

We do however need to find the right RUU. Do you know, was the phone originally sold through a mobile carrier, and if so which one? If you don't know there are ways of finding the precise information, which involve installing something called "fastboot" on your computer (and connecting the phone when in fastboot mode, as above).

Upvote 0
"Locked" is normal on the bootloader. "Tampered" suggests that someone has modified the system at some point. Have you attempted to root it, or did you buy it second hand? I'm mainly asking because if you've tried rooting then you can supply more information, whereas if you bought it in this state then you probably can't.

The red triangle from the bootloader was the HTC stock recovery module. When that is on the screen you need to press power and volume up together to bring up the recovery menu. That's normal.

To run an RUU you want to put the phone in fastboot mode, which is another option in the bootloader. In that mode you can connect it to a PC. The computer won't see it as a storage device, but the RUU will be able to communicate with it.

We do however need to find the right RUU. Do you know, was the phone originally sold through a mobile carrier, and if so which one? If you don't know there are ways of finding the precise information, which involve installing something called "fastboot" on your computer (and connecting the phone when in fastboot mode, as above).

The thing about that is that i bought the motherboard for this phone and it's simfree

Upvote 0
If the software status is coming up as "tampered" that's come from a phone that someone has tried to modify, in which case "SIM free" may just mean it's no longer SIM-locked. Can you tell us what country you are in (will narrow things slightly, assuming it's not an import)? The M7 isn't an easy phone to swap motherboards on ;).

Driver problems aren't my speciality because I don't use Windows very often, but you could try following instructions here to install fastboot drivers. Or maybe just get fastboot binaries (try here). Our own ADB FAQ has some instructions for installing fastboot.

If you can get fastboot talking to the phone then try the command "fastboot getvar all" and tell us what the "cidnum" is.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
If the software status is coming up as "tampered" that's come from a phone that someone has tried to modify, in which case "SIM free" may just mean it's no longer SIM-locked. Can you tell us what country you are in (will narrow things slightly, assuming it's not an import)? The M7 isn't an easy phone to swap motherboards on ;).

Driver problems aren't my speciality because I don't use Windows very often, but you could try following instructions here to install fastboot drivers. Or maybe just get fastboot binaries (try here). Our own ADB FAQ has some instructions for installing fastboot.

If you can get fastboot talking to the phone then try the command "fastboot getvar all" and tell us what the "cidnum" is.

yeah, i bought from some guy who didn't need it, and that's the first thing i thought also that he modified something, maybe he tried to install cm or something and screwed up, oh and i'm from serbia :)

Upvote 0
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Yes, I'd try RUU M7 UL K44 SENSE55 MR HTC Europe 4.19.401.9 R Radio 4A.23.3263.28 10.38r.1157.04L Release 353069 Signed 2-1 first - that's the most recent-looking HTC Europe I can spot in that list.

The RUU is a Windows executable, so put the phone in fastboot mode, connect to the PC and run the RUU (and hope we don't still have to sort out drivers!).

i got the pc to recognize my phone, but when i run the RUU it require usb debugging, i turn on usb debugging and driver gives me the same usb not recognized. i can enter my internal memory from pc normally now, does that help somehow?

Upvote 0
The RUU does not require USB debugging if the phone is in fastboot mode. It can't, because USB debugging is only possible when running Android (or in a custom recovery), and it probably only needs it so that it can reboot the phone into the correct mode anyway.

So it sounds like we need to install HTC fastboot drivers on your PC. I'm not near a computer at the moment so looking that up will be awkward for me right now, but will look later if you've not managed it.

Upvote 0
The RUU does not require USB debugging if the phone is in fastboot mode. It can't, because USB debugging is only possible when running Android (or in a custom recovery), and it probably only needs it so that it can reboot the phone into the correct mode anyway.

So it sounds like we need to install HTC fastboot drivers on your PC. I'm not near a computer at the moment so looking that up will be awkward for me right now, but will look later if you've not managed it.
well i already instaleld this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Upvote 0
I'd suggest installing the fastboot binary from HTCDev.com instead, to maximise compatibility. Also have you tried downloading and installing HTC Sync Manager from HTC? Hopefully that should install drivers for the phone in the process.
i installed the drivers, and it's now known as htc one in device manager, but i can't copy anything to the phone.

Upvote 0
There's definitely still a download link for HTC Sync Manager (the thing that was current when the M7 was released).

Being unable to copy may be something to do with the USB connection mode. Can you change that when the phone is connected? If not, have you enabled the developer options menu(*) as I think you can set it from there as well.

But the key thing is, can fastboot talk to the phone when it is fastboot mode? Since you'd tried installing an adb/fastboot bundle, try the command "fastboot devices" and if it responds with the device's serial number you are in business. At that point you should be able to run the RUU.

Alternatively, does it respond to ADB? "adb devices" is the command to test for that. If it does, that's another way to push a file to it. You will need usb debugging enabled for this to work (which is in the developer options menu).

(*) A silly process involving going into Settings > About > Software information and tapping repeatedly on the build number. Someone in Google obviously thought this was cute, which shows that Google really are not as smart as they think they are.

Upvote 0
i typed fastboot devices nothing happens, i typed adb devices it just says list of devices attached and nothing below that. Also this appears when i go into fastboot

Attachments

• Screenshot (129).png
    Screenshot (129).png
    7.7 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
So ADB isn't recognising it. Do you have USB debugging enabled, and is it booted into Android? ADB won't recognise it unless both of those conditions are met.

I think the other means you have a problem with the fastboot driver - not sure as I've never used fastboot from a Windows computer, so never have this hassle. I don't suppose that the HTC fastboot binary just works?

Re extracting an RUU as a zip, there are some instructions in this post. Note that that was for a different device, so the bit about renaming it to "PB99IMG.zip" and putting it on an SD card is not correct for the M7. But the M7-specific instructions I've found so far for extracting the RUU zip and flashing it (e.g. here or here) describe a procedure to flash it using fastboot rather than letting the bootloader do it. Whether that's because the M7 doesn't have an SD card and so it's harder to get the RUU onto the device or because HTC have stopped supporting that way of installing updates I don't know. But it does make getting fastboot working more important (though if you could extract the RUU .zip using Windows then use a different OS which doesn't suffer such pain with drivers to flash it using fastboot that would also be a workaround, albeit an inconvenient one unless you have a Mac or Linux machine lying around).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones