• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC One M8 Brick Stuck on Boot

ryken09

Jul 5, 2015
My HTC One M8 will not boot properly. It freezes or goes to a black screen on boot up. I have tried installing custom roms and no matter what I use it still gets stuck on the boot screen. I would really appreciate any help. I have been trying to fix this for months now and have tried everything I can think of and have found on forums. My phone is S-On/Unlocked and Sprint. Firmware 4.25.651.14. I have TWRP Recovery installed.

So, what roms, have you tried, what's the last rom you tried, are you getting them from anywhere besides XDA (and XDA blogspots don't count), what version of TWRP are you running, and finally, have you tried booting with the sd card removed?

That's a lot of questions - please try to answer each one, then let's see what's next.

Welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0
OK, excellent, thank you!

I suspect that something got hosed flashing the boot image (not unheard of with s-on) and things got jammed from there.

Let's try a Sense rom - either ViperOneM8 version 4.3.0 or BadBoyz latest Sprint Sense 6 (not the latest Verizon port).

If Viper, full wipe from within Aroma - if BadBoyz, wipe from TWRP (as I recall).

After installing and failure to boot, put phone in FASTBOOT USB mode, connected to pc.

Take the rom zip on the pc, extract the boot.img file you'll find, and move it to the same folder as fastboot on your pc.

In command window say -

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot erase cache

fastboot reboot

If all goes well, bookmark this post and then just follow the above procedure for any rom you want to try.

Let me know if it works.

PS - nothing wrong with the BadBoyz Verizon Sense 7 port, I just wanted to keep it simple for troubleshooting ok.

Upvote 0
Tried Installing ViperOneM8 again and it would say successful instal and it says hit next to continue and the phone would freeze after hitting next. So I reset the phone and it would boot with the viper one logo showing up, but then get stuck. So i tried flashing the boot.img like you said, and it would still get stuck.

Then I tried BadBoyz Sense 6 and no luck with that either

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.09.20.0209
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.25.651.14
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid:
(bootloader) product: m8_whl
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B70000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 26d3ff23
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Upvote 0
Copy the rom zip to the sdk-tools folder, and from the command line -

md5sums name-of-file-here.zip

If you want to verify the zip name in the sdk-tools folder -

dir *zip

(mind the space after the dir ok)

Not sure if ten minutes was enough time for Viper to start to be honest, it's been a while since doing a clean install - but I know that I've seen it take a lot longer.

Anyway - before trying another install -

* do md5sums

* do the fastboot getvar

Let's gather the information before pounding it some more.

Upvote 0
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.09.20.0209
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.25.651.14
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid:
(bootloader) product: m8_whl
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B70000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 26d3ff23
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
OK, nothing weird there.

Upvote 0
Mount internal storage from TWRP, the storage ought to show up on your pc - back it up (the following is going to wipe *everything*), and take the phone to at least 50% charge.

FASTBOOT USB mode and

fastboot oem lock

Get the full phone image from here -

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-sprint/news/

Download is at the end of the page, follow the manual install instructions. Double click the exe download, starting with phone in FASTBOOT USB mode.

Verify that the phone works after that.

If it does, the hardware is OK and the error condition ought to be cleared.

Unlock using the same Unlock_code.bin that you did before, reinstall TWRP (check its md5 before proceeding), make a nandroid backup of the working stock system, install a rom, start with Viper or BadBoyz, same thinking as before.

Radical perhaps but that's what I would do to stop chasing the tail on this one.

Your call.

Reactions: RA_BH
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones