• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

htc one m8 - get it now?

Should I get it now? There are some deals on it. I am between that and the iphone 6 and gs5

I absolutely love the M8 and think it is the best phone out there for a few different reasons. One, it is not loaded with a TON of crud that I will never use like the GS5 (fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, very well locked bootloaded, and more). Two it is more developer friendly than both GS5 and iPhone. And three, I have never had an issue with HTC devices, but have with both GS5 and Apple.

But to be honest, all 3 are very well made phones as far as specs are concerned. Plus I know people on GS5 and iPhone and they say that their phones are awesome.

So really you just have to decide which one you like better. M8 is confirmed getting Lollipop and GS5 most likely will get it as well.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I've had mine since May. Serious problem with the Black Screen Of Death, and when it came back from warranty work, the guts had been replaced with a new phone and a new serial number. And the camera has been botched.

The service rep at Bell says that these phones are poorly constructed.

I tend to agree.

Battery life is good, it is fairly ergonomic, it handles better than my Samsung S3, and I tend to like it, but it is not the ultimate in cell phones.

Upvote 0
Either phone will be a good buy. It honestly all comes down to personal preference.

The first thing I would narrow out is if you prefer iOS or Android? If you distinctively prefer an os then you can narrow it down.

If you are looking for a phone that has a ton of features, that you may use once or all the time but at the cost of slowing your phone down (causing lag on occasions ), then go with the s5. It also has a superior rear camera in most situations. If you are looking for a phone that isn't laggy and preferred the hardware features (metal body and stereo speakers) go with the m8.

Personally, I mainly picked the m8 over the s5 because of the hardware, the UI being much more clean, not 'cartoony' looking, and just the sheer elegance of the phone compared to any phone.

Upvote 0
Either phone will be a good buy. It honestly all comes down to personal preference.

The first thing I would narrow out is if you prefer iOS or Android? If you distinctively prefer an os then you can narrow it down.

If you are looking for a phone that has a ton of features, that you may use once or all the time but at the cost of slowing your phone down (causing lag on occasions ), then go with the s5. It also has a superior rear camera in most situations. If you are looking for a phone that isn't laggy and preferred the hardware features (metal body and stereo speakers) go with the m8.

Personally, I mainly picked the m8 over the s5 because of the hardware, the UI being much more clean, not 'cartoony' looking, and just the sheer elegance of the phone compared to any phone.

I think I wanna go with the S5 just for the removable battery, it's a super tough decision though. I love things about all 3 phones.

Upvote 0
I think I wanna go with the S5 just for the removable battery, it's a super tough decision though. I love things about all 3 phones.

For what it's worth, I was very hesitant about the M8 at first because of the non-removable battery. However, based on my previous post, I decided that I could make it work.

Since then, I am very glad I went with the M8 (if you couldn't tell), but do sometimes envy those who are now using wireless charging docs in my work area. I kinda wish I could use one too because they are very cool and convenient. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that the wireless changing would be the only thing I really would like about the GS5 over the M8.

Tough decisions are always best with a few days sleep... LOL

Also, depending on your carrier, most allow you to return a device within a certain time frame (plus a restocking fee) if you do not like it. Verizon is 14 days and, iirc, a $35 restocking fee.

Kratos

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I was very hesitant about the M8 at first because of the non-removable battery. However, based on my previous post, I decided that I could make it work.

Since then, I am very glad I went with the M8 (if you couldn't tell), but do sometimes envy those who are now using wireless charging docs in my work area. I kinda wish I could use one too because they are very cool and convenient. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that the wireless changing would be the only thing I really would like about the GS5 over the M8.

Tough decisions are always best with a few days sleep... LOL

Also, depending on your carrier, most allow you to return a device within a certain time frame (plus a restocking fee) if you do not like it. Verizon is 14 days and, iirc, a $35 restocking fee.

Kratos

Man you are making this even harder for me, lol.

I was mainly liking the removable back so I could get a 7500 mAh battery for the galaxy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones