HTC One M8 Review ThreadGeneral

Last Updated: 2015-01-11 04:08:02
  1. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

GSMArena nailed it.. Sure, it's a great phone in every other area but they ruin it with a dodgy camera and they removed OIS which was a great feature. :confused:

CafeKampuchia likes this.
  2. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on anandtech.com as they are big HTC fanboys and write very thorough reviews.
  3. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Agreed, Anandtech are definitely HTC fans. It's amazing how many reviews are overlooking the cameras shortcomings, if this was a Samsung phone they would have butchered them for it. :D
  4. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

I like the simplicity of the review that David from the Verge did.

As a nexus 5 owner and hearing that the the camera on the n5 is better then then the M8 is just so mind boggling to me!

Why not slap an 8mp ultra pixel shooter on there, or just roll with a 16mp without these ultra pixels.

Honestly its a cool looking device but the tallness, and crappy camera are enough to make me say pass....
  5. CafeKampuchia

Hadron likes this.
  6. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

CafeKampuchia likes this.
  7. CafeKampuchia

I'm going to request a change in username
    CafeNINJACampuchia

[​IMG]
  8. CafeKampuchia

This is not a review, but certainly impacts the results found in the reviews:

HTC admits its High Performance Mode pumped up benchmark scores for the HTC One (M8)

[​IMG]

From the article:
  9. WifiMaxed

WifiMaxed Well-Known Member

10. ne0lyfeism

ne0lyfeism Well-Known Member

11. CafeKampuchia

FutureMark is apparently not amused by HTC's comments spinning their high benchmark results as a high performance mode and have delisted the M8.

Futuremark gives HTC One (M8) the boot for cheating - GSMArena Blog

So the benchmark results in the reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt, not that they affect dailey experience much. But there are some folks that care.
  12. CafeKampuchia

Hadron likes this.
  13. SolApathy

SolApathy Cleverness is not wisdom Guide

14. SolApathy

SolApathy Cleverness is not wisdom Guide

Yet another review:

This time vs the S5... Definitely don't agree on all points, especially the battery life section (S5 wins)

I will not go into all the details of the review and spoil it. There are some going points, but it really looked like the author was aiming to make a tie...

Some of the points are not very well made...The option to turn off the backlit keys on the S5, while the option is missing on the M8...Well considering turning off the backlit keys on the M8 would mean turning off the screen I am a little confused. This is aside from the fact that the back-lighting on capacitive keys is such a tiny power drain that it would not affect battery life in any noticeable fashion. Turning the phone greyscale is just a gimmick....

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs. HTC One M8
  15. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I'm sure many of you have upgraded go the M8 from the LTEVO. I want to aswell but am a little leery of all the reviews saying that reception is worse on the new device.

I'm not in a super strong 4G market but I do get it in certain places. I don't want to upgrade to a phone with less connectivity.

So please, can I hear of some of your experiences? I even went to a Sprint store just to play with it and the girl behind the counter said I shouldn't get it because a lot of people were returning them with problems. I didn't ask her to elaborate but a lot of reviews say it has poor service compared to the LTEVO.
  16. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I've read most of these reviews. I'm more interested in real world use and experience after a few months of ownership. I'd like to know how the M8 compares to the LTEVO in terms of call quality and internet speeds.

Why is it anytime I make a thread, it gets combined with a thread different from my question?
  17. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I'm getting better reception with my M8 than I did with my LTEvo - 3G and LTE. Better roaming too.

I've only had mine a week but I move around a lot these days so I'm sure it's true.

However - whereas the LTEvo could do simultaneous voice and data either with 3G (SVDO) or with LTE, the M8 can't.

It's because of the new Spark network radio setup, and not unique to this phone.
  18. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Yeah I've read about the voice and data not working at the same time. I've had the capability for 2 years and only used it once, just to see it work. After reading some posts on the M8 forums, I'm confident in getting one.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  19. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Well-Known Member

I did not know this about the M8 on Sprint's network. I'm glad I switched to Verizon, then, because this limitation doesn't exist. I was on the phone yesterday while looking up some stuff on the Web on the phone.
  20. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Yep, it's peculiar to Sprint.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...upport-simultaneous-voice-and-data/2013-11-19

In some fantasy future we'll get it back with VoLTE.

I rarely used it before as I'm often on wifi but it's nuts that I had it for the last two years on 3G and don't anymore.

But that's Sprint and as you note, not an M8 issue.
  21. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Well-Known Member

Yup, that's Sprint. I'm certainly not ripping them, having been with Nextel then Sprint for something like 12-14 years, at least. I've always considered Verizon the absolute best network out there, but with their high prices, I never went with them. I was willing to put up with Sprint's horrible service (horrible IMHO). However, with Verizon having become much more competitive and comparable to Sprint in pricing, I jumped ship and haven't looked back.

And being able to pick up the M8 brand new at $99 didn't hurt, either. :D
  22. Big__Daddy

Big__Daddy New Member

I have had my new HTC M8 now for several weeks and I have noticed I have a M8Q whilst my son who has the M8 as well actually has the M8X.

I have noticed some subtle differences please can someone advise as to what the differences are.

Thanks

BD
  23. Rhyalus

Rhyalus Member

Where are you seeing this alphanumeric value?

R