• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC One M8 Sprint rooted won't boot to os

Apr 25, 2012
I am hoping that you can help me, I rooted my m8 and everything was fine. Have twrp recovery and set to back up automatically. It updated to lollipop. The reason I wanted root was to get hot spot-i have unlimited data and talk so why should I pay to tether my laptop. So I installed a wi fi hack and rebooted. Phone service not running kept popping up so I went to recovery but no recovery's were listed even though it just backed up before I installed the hack. I backed up current and then it rebooted and would go to home screen then right into start up and kept looping. I had to let the battery die then I charged it up and I am able to get to recovery and fastboot and have tried to flash a rom but it only reboots into fastboot screen. I know this is totally self inflicted but can somebody help?

OK, so I'm clear - you have no TWRP/BACKUP folder in any storage?

(I've never used an automated backup fwiw.)

And before I forget, if it happens again, you don't have to wait for power failure to enter recovery.

Hold volume up and power to initiate a power reset. As soon as the screen goes dark, hold volume down to force a bootloader boot during startup. Select recovery from hboot.

Reactions: jschohan and 808
Upvote 0
Looking now. I put an sd card in while I was following steps to mount a rom.
In //sdcard/TWRP/Backups there is a file FA43CSF00430
In the internal storage I have /data/media/0TWRP/BACKUPS file FA43CSF00430
Thanks for the power reset instruction.
That's the same location, referenced two different ways.

That ought not be a file - that ought to be the folder inside which your backups are stored.

Upvote 0
I have a sd card in now because I tried to load HTC ONE 5 rom.
OK, first, let's verify that you have the right TWRP.

What's the name of the TWRP file, you probably still have it on your pc.

Next, tell me you're s-on.

If so, you need to flash the boot.img separately - check any of the many recent threads for details if you need help.

But first - TWRP - we need to confirm it because it sounds either corrupted or the wrong version.

If s-off, tell me what you did about firmware, in case I missed it.

What wifi hack did you install?

Upvote 0
openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.2-m8whl
s-on
Sprint_M8_Tether_Hack_V2.zip
No no no - go here, follow instructions, flash this -

http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?16278-SPRINT-RECOVERY-TWRP-Recovery-(UNOFFICIAL)-v2-7-0-4

(don't let the title throw you off)

Unzip the rom you're trying to use on your pc, extract the boot.img file, copy to the same folder that fastboot is in on your pc.

Power on phone holding volume down, plug into pc so FASTBOOT USB is highlighted.

Open command window to where fastboot and boot.img are and say -

fastboot flash boot boot.img

If it doesn't show bytes transfered and OKAY, you screwed up the instructions, please explain and ask before proceeding rather than experiment.

Boot up phone and enjoy otherwise.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I just completed the cmd and it finished with okay, see below:)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Dennis>cd Desktop

C:\Users\Dennis\Desktop>cd HTC_One_M8_Lollipop_5.0.1LRX22C

C:\Users\Dennis\Desktop\HTC_One_M8_Lollipop_5.0.1LRX22C>fastboot flash boot boot
.img
target reported max download size of 1826414592 bytes
sending 'boot' (8790 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.013s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.487s]
finished. total time: 1.500s

C:\Users\Dennis\Desktop\HTC_One_M8_Lollipop_5.0.1LRX22C>

I then scrolled to reboot, selected that and it booted into Fastboot, my choices are hboot, ramdump,reboot, reboot fastboot and power down. Same as before.:(

Whats my next mission?

Upvote 0
Ok, I don' get the download for the zip, it takes me to Play store and downloads it to the device which is not on line. So I went to basket builder and down loaded the image file TWRP_multirom_m8_2.8.4_20150115-01.img and I put it in the fastboot file. Now should I deviate from the instructions
  1. Open a command prompt from the folder where fastboot resides.
  2. Run the following command:
    1. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
(didn't work ) and replace recovery.img with TWRP_multirom_m8_2.8.4_20150115-01.img

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones